Jacob's Goon Build - Now L19 powered.

Laecaon

So here is the best shot of the "dash" I can get right now as it is not installed... Note the white is not going to be permanent, I just hate so much black on black going on.

SNC11143.JPG

Now to continue on with the windshield. I got some rust stop stuff and gave it a good 4 coats to really seal it. Luckily for me it was gloss white :). Sprayed from the backside as well. Topped it with some other white paint. It is much happier.

SNC11135.JPG

Then I had noticed around the cargo window where I didnt quite get paint in the crevices along the trim. So I pulled the trim (why didn't I do that before!?!) and painted it.

SNC11133.JPG

So then since I was in the painting mood. I decided to do something I have always liked. (I have done so many photoshops of this car :blink: )

SNC11137.JPG

SNC11139.JPG

• Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to do a simple tranny swap. But then I saw Izzo's ad for a free L16. I said something something L18. I was on my way to Izzo's place for a L18 with a engine lift in my Jetta. Pulled the L18 from his Wagon, installed the L20b he had, and then packed up the L18 into my car. Izzo, I figured out a better way to transport motors in the Jetta, you can lay a full L motor down in the spare tire well! And then all the fluids will be contained! Anyways my loot after some serious cleaning, Still have more to do, but I think Im going to worry about other things for now.

SNC11140.JPG

SNC11141.JPG

It did come with a valve cover, but I couldnt get the motor out of the Jetta with it on...

And here is how my L16 sits in my car now.

SNC11142.JPG

So I need to pull the oil pan from the L18 and put a new gasket on. I need to probably swap heads (maybe bent valves on the L18). And then there is the whole tranny swap mess on top of it! Gonna be fun!

Pics of the motor/car after teh motor was pulled. No during shots cuz having a full motor and tranny just hanging is scary.

I think this means there is no weight on the front of the car!

SNC11146.JPG

Oh here is why!

SNC11144.JPG

Here lies the victim!

SNC11145.JPG

What was wrong with engine in it ?? seemed like it ran pretty good when i seen it at THE show.

Ok, um, yea. Basically I was planning on doing a tranny swap auto->5 spd. Half tempted to pull the motor cuz I wanted to clean up the bay some. Izzo had a L18, which fits in the trunk of the Jetta... I like projects. Nothing is really wrong with the L16. Im gonna give it to my friend so he can do a slight rebuild on it. Really I just want a L18 and not a L16. Im a weirdo!

It ran well. Burned some oil. I drained the oil and only got half a gallon, I put in nearly 5 qts. My exhaust makesbthe motor quiet. The Weber makes a bit of throttle lag. Anyways, I'm gonna pick up oil pan and headgasket. New thermostat. Fuel pump gaskets. The L16 head is probably going on the L18. The thoughts are that the L18 cam dowel is missing and therefore now has bent valves.

good to know. Does that mean you moved the oil pump?

why not put motor on TDC(open the oil cap and look at the cam lobe,if in close to 10 oclock then its on TDC ) zero at the crank and look where rorotr pointing.

No need to guess 180 out!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its ON or its OFF

Hainz, I know that, I was just curious more or less, hence why my question was if he moved the oil pump, and not how do I set the plug wires...

Just a can(2) of rustoeleum from Home Depot. I like the acrylic enamel stuff at autozone but they didnt have a good shade of blue there. Color is called "sail blue".

Hoping to dive into the motor tomorrow. Need to find the tool to pull of the head, and to borrow my cousins torque wrench.

Anyways, got a headgasket, oil pan gasket, intake/exhaust gasket, and the exhaust flange gasket.

So basically my thinking on the color: White is well too hard to keep clean, just a mistake; Black is well super boring!!!; so then I had to come up with a color. Well I had 3 colors floating around my head for some time to be used as an accent to the white/black theme I have developing : Orange, Green, and Blue. Determined Orange is the wrong type of bright vibrant color. And then Green is just too hard to find, but I love it. And since my NGK wires were already Blue, blue was the color. And of course the color had to scream, since it is just the accent. Well being the engine bay color isn't quite just an accent, you will only see it with the hood open.

Its so...bold. Looks good, man. You get that crossmember deal figured out? What tool for the head are you needing? The timing chain wedge?

Gonna look into the tranny crossmember today. I need the 10mm hex key socket for the head. And I need a torque wrench, but I have talked to my cousin and am picking those up tonight.