Jacob's Goon Build - Now L19 powered.

Laecaon

• Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking like a million bucks! Now slam that thing to the ground!!!!

It is nearing the end of the term at school, which means that money is getting low. Next term I will have more money. I already have my ZX struts. Come 2 months and it should be done.

Out of money? Thought that I was the only one that happens to.

FWIW, mine has 2 inch blocks in the rear with clipped stock springs MR2 inserts and shortened strut tubes -- just as a point of reference. See post #25:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/15889-just-another-wagon-thread/

I had a set of ZX struts but for my application it just made more sense to use the modded 510 struts. Be sure to check the spindle angle on your ZX struts. There are 2 different angles (7* and 10* ??) and one will require camber plates which will increase the cost of the upgrade quite a bit. Just something to think about.

• 2 months later...

Some more parts collecting. Going home this weekend to work on it, hopefully will complete the strut swap.

Still need to grab some new pads.

Just got these collars for the spring perch:

SNC16267.JPG

Bought a new passenger tail light! (Thanks Mario!) old, then new:

SNC00387.jpg

SNC00388.jpg

and finally I found some mud! Really it was my friends yard (fire truck was blocking the driveway)

SNC00389.jpg

Hopefully more pics this weekend! And hopefully lowered by sunday for the meet.

• 4 weeks later...

Tired of the lack of sound in the car. But I dont have any door panels in the car either. Basically my interior is completely up in the air, so I needed something non permanent.

So I installed the center section of my dash back in with the deck that I installed months ago (summer time?).

SNC00398.jpg

Note the home speaker wire you see running down the picture. It goes to this:

SNC00403.jpg

Yes that is a cardboard speaker box. I have another speaker/box ready to go, but I need to go find some more wire. Overall it sounds pretty decent. I have since covered the edges with duct tape to seal the box. There is actual bass you can hear and feel, and of course the highend is plenty loud.

Sorry about the bad pic quality, phone doesn't like night shots.

Also, any one have 2 caliper bolts for mounting the ZX calipers back to the struts? or are the same as the 510?

• 2 weeks later...

Had some fun today:

IMG_0963.JPG

So decided I got tired of the white suspension parts. And white exhaust. And white spare tire.

IMG_0960.JPG

IMG_0961.JPG

IMG_0962.JPG

And then this: I find that the acrylic enamel holds up very well.

IMG_0964.JPG

IMG_0965.JPG

I painted some of the front suspension too. Changed out my spare tire. Then put some tire shine on!

IMG_0973.JPG

IMG_0974.JPG

Oh and this is my tool for my spare tire.

IMG_0975.JPG

I also fixed my parking brake. Had to adjust it under neath the car.

So woke up today and thought, I want to get my zx struts in. Went to the JY to grab a couple of bolts that nissan wanted $5 a piece for :blink: Took my friend with me, Today would not have been possible without him. Anyways, pics!

IMG_0978.JPG

What a mess!

IMG_0981.JPG

Me grinding:

IMG_0982.JPG

IMG_0980.JPG

IMG_0983.JPG

Family makes the garage such a mess. One day soon I can park my goon in there!

IMG_0989.JPG

All done!

IMG_0991.JPG

IMG_0992.JPG

IMG_0993.JPG

Yes the car is even. I just park on a slope.

Those last shots are it "lowered". ZX struts are about 1.5 inches shorter than 510 struts. So that is about it. I can move the lower spring perch down maybe another inch, but I am not going to cut a coil. One day Ill have coil overs. It really isnt much lower, but does look a tad better.

Those last shots are it "lowered". ZX struts are about 1.5 inches shorter than 510 struts. So that is about it. I can move the lower spring perch down maybe another inch, but I am not going to cut a coil. One day Ill have coil overs. It really isnt much lower, but does look a tad better.

I always have to draw it out to really grasp the concept, the strut is 1.5" shorter but you used the 510 spring right. The spring determine how high the car sits. Unless the strut fully extended. Or did you mount the perch lower down the strut.

I cut 1.5 coils off mine and it's not too bouncy.

I always have to draw it out to really grasp the concept, the strut is 1.5" shorter but you used the 510 spring right. The spring determine how high the car sits. Unless the strut fully extended. Or did you mount the perch lower down the strut.

I cut 1.5 coils off mine and it's not too bouncy.

I put the zx strut and the 510 strut side by side. I pulled the shock out on both to fully extended. Technically the shock is what caps the spring, and therefore the max height of the car (spring is always in compression, even if you take the strut off the car). So fully extended the zx strut is about 1.5 inches shorter than the 510 strut.

I know!, need to find longer u-bolts though. What have you found? Baxter seems to have a great selection, but at $10 a piece it seems a bit steep.

I have a set of blocks n u bolts that came off my wagon at one point in time you can have em if ya want. I don't need em nothing I own has leaf springs.

I have a set of blocks n u bolts that came off my wagon at one point in time you can have em if ya want. I don't need em nothing I own has leaf springs.

I think I might have to take you up. Ill contact you later when my head is more clear, and I am likely to head through your whereabouts.

I know!, need to find longer u-bolts though. What have you found? Baxter seems to have a great selection, but at $10 a piece it seems a bit steep.

You can always do a leaf flip (some call it decambering) instead. I worked out great on the 521 my brother had. Only cost a couple bucks for new eye bolts.

• 3 weeks later...

So my rear seat sucks. This type of suck:

IMG_5823.JPG

I got some new seats from the Junkyard! Spray painted the bottom with rust killer primer:

SNC11029.JPG

Then flat black:

SNC11031.JPG

Note: I wanted to do Satin but my satin was all out :/

New seat back is in bad shape compared to my current one (first new then old):

SNC11032.JPG

SNC11033.JPG

Inside of new seat...

SNC11034.JPG

So I am going to use the old seat metal piece, and the new seat cushion.