Jacob's Goon Build - Now L19 powered.

Laecaon

• Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love this forum's hatred of VWs. Makes me laugh. That car is great, super comfy, reliable (1 water pump since owning it from '03 to present (I was racing though some mountains with a full car of people, too much stress)). 30 mpg, power everything, handles like a dream (I like the Goon's handling more). I have yet to drive a modern car that I like to drive more than that Jetta. Driven plenty of cars too.

• Like 2

Cool stuff

Im not 100% sure what this is, but I believe this is The clutch cylinders and something else. Any help identifying these would be great!

SNC16100.JPG

SNC16101.JPG

SNC16102.JPG

SNC16103.JPG

And here is the GOON! Mostly put together for the outside. Inside needs all the panels (Im gonna be redoing them).

Notice the roof rack?

SNC16104.JPG

• Like 4

I also have a VW Jetta, VR6. 2000, millenium silver, leather, 5 speed. Great car when I don't want to drive the truck or wagon. It is also 100% stock, and although it's very hard to keep it that way, it is nice to have a dependable car that you can drive normally. So there is at least one VW fan here, besides you!

Wagon is looking great, keep it up! I say whiteout those tires, you're halfway there anyway ;)

Two more things.

My car was bought at Camino Datsun, At least thats what the plate holder says. Forgot to take a oic. Which brings me to point 2

School starts tomorrow. My car is 95 miles north. Dont worry there will still be progress.

• Like 1

^^^ +1 , finish white-walling those bad boys :lol:

As far as clutch slave cylinders ,,, I don't know the correct one for either

PM datsun mike for your transmission application , #'s off cylinder , and the pic

And for use of the slave cylinders ,,, the darn things are so cheap new that it is irresistable each time !!!( rebuild kits sorta work , you are suppose to hone the cylinder just a touch ,,, and the hone tool costs more than the cylinder itself , but the actual rebuild kit should cost $3-$5

If it were me ,,, I would buy a new one IF it was going to be a daily driver ( don't want to be on the side of the highway because of a $10 part , this happened to me in my old RX-7 :rolleyes: ---> had to get out and "pump" the slave every 4-5 shifts :unsure: :lol: ),,, see how badly pitted the cylinder actually is and make the call !

You can just through some seals in it for just moving it around the yard ;) ( check the condition of your clutch master cylinder at the same time , if both are weak , than one can blow the other out )

• 2 weeks later...

I dont know the color code right now other than what is on this picture:

IMG_0813.JPG

Its a Subaru Color. All I did was go to the paint shop and pick the brightest white I could.

Next time I go home, dont know when that will be (a week or 2 or 3), I will grab the code for you.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Nice build so far.

Thanks!

I suppose a minor update should be posted. Currently, I am at school (1.5 hours away) and have no money. Financial aid has been a problem. As soon as that hits, you should see some more progress done.

Im need to respray my roof :( somehow rust came through the paint, but not when it was in just primer... and only on the roof...

Gonna be looking at redoing the interior. Gonna be looking at doing a strut swap, getting a new windshield, a 5 speed swap.

I want to paint the window frames a dark grey/ black color, add some black/ dark grey BRE stripes on.