Ka in a 521! I'm goin for it! Lol

Hey guys i need some help here! I think I'm gonna put a ka 24 from a hardbody in my 521! But umm I have know idea besides the engine and the tranny wat to get I need to price it out and see where I'm at type a thing so I need a list of every part I need for the process! Pls u would be doin me a huge favor! Thnx guys!!

• Like 1
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, you need to work your way up to something like that!

Have you ever swapped a motor before. I don't mean replacing one, I mean making a custom fit for a motor never intended for use in your vehicle? One that will require everything from motor and tranny mounts to oil pan and exhaust to be custom made one off parts. Often there is no one around who has done this who can help so you avoid the inevitable mistakes. Are you intimately familiar with the KA motor? E or DE?? I see two sets of problems here.

Electrical:

KAs run on EFI and all the sensors, relays, switches, wiring and an ECU to run it. I'll include the fuel pump here as well as you will need a high pressure pump for the EFI injectors. Is this stuff on you KA motor? If not you will have to source it. You know to use the automatic ECU and not the standard and why, right?

Mechanical:

Beside the obvious bolting in there are a lot of custom parts to be made... do you have a welder? Lots of garage space, tools, time and most of all... MONEY? You will need a larger rad and probably electric fans. Depending on motor a D-21 oil pan to fit a truck frame/steering. Some way to connect the exhaust to your stock system. And this is just the motor. The KA will require a KA tranny as it won't fit the 521 tranny so because they are longer the 521 drive shaft will need shortening to fit... and a custom tranny mount and the shifter hole moved back several inches. There are 2 or 3 different length KA 5 speeds 4 is you use the Z series tranny.

This is a monumental task and this is just a few things I thought of from the top of my head. I guarantee there will be many more I missed.

I would hate to see you strip out the drive train and get half way into it and run out of time, money, experience, energy.... find there's no going back and have to sell/scrap the truck.

If theres a running L motor in there now stay with that & cruise it.

This is so true.

• Like 1

This again?

Recipe for a KA swap:

Save up $2000 (what my swap cost, not including labor). This should get you a motor and all the parts needed, if your a bargain hunter.

You'll also need some fab skill and a welder.

Oh and you'll need some advance wiring skill also.

Read up, research is key.

KA24E in a 620

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/37-ka24e-into-a-620/

KA24DE in a 620

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/22191-1977-620-kingcab-deluxe/

Wiring for the motor.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/537-how-to-wire-a-ka-sr-ca-into-anything/

Wiring for the charging system.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/18218-how-to-install-a-saturn-alt/

After all that your gonna need some time, lot's of time and somewhere nice to work on it.

The last thing you will need is a whole bunch of patience and perserverance. If you come back trying to sell your unfinished swap, I will ridicule and taunt you. :P

Keeping a running motor in there is much easier. ;)

yea well i have someone who is experienced doing it for me i just wanted to know the parts list so i could get the parts for him to do it i didnt need critisim about it i just wanted to know what the parts list included! THATS IT!!

Translation: I just want someone else to do all my work for me, for free, and don't forget to kiss my ass while you're doing my work for me.

Good luck with that.

no douche bag matt! he owes me a favor i painted his car! i do custom airbrushing but you wouldnt know that would you? cuz your to much of a idiot! and hes my cousin you dumbass!!!! and im fricken 16!!!!!! course im not gonna know how to do this and if your going to be gay about it dont post anything!! people like you kill me! go do sometihng productive with your life you prick!! ]2eDeYe was the only person that helped! all you other bitches just criticise i was just asking a simple question if you didnt want to anwser it dont reply to it!!!!!

no douche bag matt! he owes me a favor i painted his car! i do custom airbrushing but you wouldnt know that would you? cuz your to much of a idiot! and hes my cousin you dumbass!!!! and im fricken 16!!!!!! course im not gonna know how to do this and if your going to be gay about it dont post anything!! people like you kill me! go do sometihng productive with your life you prick!! ]2eDeYe was the only person that helped! all you other bitches just criticise i was just asking a simple question if you didnt want to anwser it dont reply to it!!!!!

hahahahaha :rofl:

Dude, let us know when you get your panties out of a wad, acquire reading comprehension skills and the ability to learn, are willing to do some legwork yourself, and lose the you-owe-me attitude. It's not a honda, there's no bolt-on list of parts you need. If you simply think about the things that go into it the list will present itself to you. The key words here are you and think.

people like you kill me! go do sometihng productive with your life you prick!!

If you spend some time reading around here you would actually find out that thisismatt is actually a very helpfull and productive person for this forum. People are just telling it like it is. Some swaps require alot of work and its much easier to keep the engine that's already installed running. If you have someone that's willing to do the install for you then go for it! Follow up the links that were just posted and maybe start up a thread in the project section. Someone's bound to chime in and help when you run into a snag. Oh, and don't forget the pics. I also have a 521 so im also interested in these type of swaps. Good luck...

I see another 521 enering the trash heap.

I havent seen a KA 521 myself.

persoanally just drive the 521 .

You have to many iisues form the torsion bar maybe being in the way and the carrier bearing setup. then move on to the eleltrica and oil pan fitting. engine mounts.

only only thing EZ about this is pulling the motor and leaving the truck on the side of your house till you mom says dump it after you figure out its EZer to get a WRX and just make payments. By them youll need money for school or be in the Aarmy wich is not a bad thing( I loved the service) but unless this guys is 24 /7 going to help you Hes going to say Fuck it. Painting a car yon can see results alot faster than hitting the grounds align alot of this stuff up and your at the mercy of other on the internet for help.

least and L motor is still worthy and nothing to be ashamed of. But alot EZer to maintain.

You need:

KA block (KA24E or KA24DE)

KA head

KA transmission....... or a adapter to use your L-series tranny

Intake manifold

Exaust manifold

IACV and tube

EGR blockoff plate

PCV system

MAF sensor

O2 sensor

Distributor

Coil

Spark plugs/wires

Electric fuel pump and relay

2 5/16" metal fuel lines (1 for a return line)

Fuel Rail

Stock injectors

Stock fuel pressure regulator

300zx fuel filter

Throttle body

Throttle body sensor

TPS / CAS

Red temp guage with two wires to the ECU

ECU

Complete wiring harness with plugs for all sensors and elctronic parts

3 relays and 25 hours of wiring to integrate the stock wiring to the KA wiring

Custom radiator

Electric fans

KA24E lower radiator hose outlet with temp sensor to trigger the electric fans

Custom cold air intake pipe...... with a IACV outlet

Air filter

Alternator

Starter Motor

Battery

Clutch Master Cylinder

Clutch slave cylinder

Brakes???

Custom motor mounts

Custom transmission crossmember

Transmission mount

Shortened driveshaft

Deal with carrier bearing issue

Possible steering clearance issues: maybe center the link will be a problem, or the steering shaft might hit the exaust

Like Hainz said: the torsion bars may cause clearance issues, and the oil pan may need to be cut and re-welded

or make a custom oil pan

New 2.5" exaust

Muffler

Custom gas pedal,,,, with a throttle cable

Custom single belt pulley for the fan belt

Custom Sway Bar

I have never seen a 521 with a KA24E or a KA24DE.......... so any clearance issues,, or fitment problems are unknown

And the part list I just typed is maybe %80 of what you need........ I am shure I forgot some things,,,, and there are always hurdles to jump over when swapping a "never been tried before motor swap"

Good luck

OK,I'm speaking from 50+ years of experience.

Your best bet would be to sell the truck to someone who will appreciate it for what it is. There's fewer of them every day.

Get a later model hardbody. You'll have disc brakes,more power,a LOT better ride,and more room.

you're still in high school (I hope) and your parents aren't going to be thrilled about spending all this money.

think about this some more. That engine compartment is tight for the L16.

My 2 cents. Good luck whatever you do.

Yes, you need to work your way up to something like that!

This is a monumental task and this is just a few things I thought of from the top of my head. I guarantee there will be many more I missed.

I would hate to see you strip out the drive train and get half way into it and run out of time, money, experience, energy.... find there's no going back and have to sell/scrap the truck.

Wow.... and here I thought I was being helpful. Steve!... a few pointers on being helpful and not such a bitch please. laugh.gif

No wonder I couldn't sleep last night. "douche bag, idiot, gay, prick, ..." all in one post! Douch bag is a marker. It usually indicates a post is about to go down hill. Shortly after, "homo" is used and, well that's usually it and the thread gets locked. "Gay" is pretty close.

I've been through 16. I passed through it once on the way to adulthood. Nice place, and though I was in no hurry to leave and it's a great place to visit, I couldn't stay and had to move on. Each stop along the way there were changes in thinking and attitudes. Things that once pissed me off were less so and some made no sense at all. When you have passed through experience and understanding in a few years look back and you'll see what I mean. I'm smiling as I write this as it will in most likely hood 'piss you off' but it's not intended to. None of the reply posts were to 'piss you off' either. In their own way they were intended to save you from a bad experience. We all love our Datsuns, as you likely do too, and have seen this thing many times. This project is a huge undertaking but not impossible. No matter how wide you open your eyes you won't be able to see it all. This is what we are collectively trying to say to you. Not that you can't.

yea well i have someone who is experienced doing it for me i just wanted to know the parts list so i could get the parts for him to do it i didnt need critisim about it i just wanted to know what the parts list included! THATS IT!!

If it were that simple, just collecting and installing parts, almost anyone could do this. Much of the work is custom fitting and fabricating and making things fit. Nothing 'bolts in', it has to be made to bolt in.

Hey guys I want to attach three horses to my car so I can have a horse-drawn datsun. What do I need? Thanks.

Well first your gonna need:

3 horses

Rope, a whole bunch of rope.

Timber, some 2x4s and 2x2s should do it.

Fab skills, rope tying skills and some team driving skills will also be helpful.

You may want to do a google search on 'horse drawn datsun 510', try to be specific to limit your hits.

After you gather all the parts, tools and skills come back with specific questions and we will try to help as best we can.

FYI I've only seen this mod done to a datsun truck, so you may run into some unforseen issues :)

1278504282467.jpg

motivator38b8e39dafde5a0c4f46a64c40.jpg

Seriously kid, stick to rollerblading. You don't deserve a Datsun.

bawahahahahaha :rofl:

Hey guys I want to attach three horses to my car so I can have a horse-drawn datsun. What do I need? Thanks.

hey Papi, just hit up forums.horse-drawn-lada.ru , the basic principals are the same :lol:

:mellow:

motivator3ad0beb2a65db33ac5ce464652.jpg

see, now your probably thinking about how big a dicks some people are.... reassured its not us, its just your attitude.

listen to Ice Cube :mellow: