Dennis' 72 510

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Well today was my first day back to work at the dime since all of my kids are now in school. I wanted to get more done today since I have so much spare time but after taking care of the kindergarten crap this morning and doing so food shopping the weather started to get a little hot. I was only able to get a few small things done today. First I resealed my oil pan since I noticed some minor leaks in it. This was a bitch cause one of the M6 x 1.0 threads stripped out and I was only torquing it down to 6lbs. I know it was either the PO or a shop that got a little carried away with that bolt since there was an oil leak in that area. No biggie, Helicoil is on order.

I also cleaned up my oil filter/sensor mount on the side of the block. Put on a new Wix filter and found out that one of the filters was not the right size but since I always get everything in pairs I used the other one and it fit perfectly.

1314034495800.jpg

I have a system for my polishing of the injector caps. I used my dremel tool with a 180 grit wheel http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Accessories/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=511E

this strips down the grime quickly. I then used a grinding disc to take away any burrs. then use the other 280 grit wheel. Once here I use a dremel buffing wheel and the white/grey abrasive. Takes me around 15 - 20 min per cap. The first two took me almost 1.5 hours till I got annoyed.

• 1 month later...

Changed the stance to a little something more fitting.

P1000050.jpg

Cut out the mounting ring for the 240SX Fuel Pump.

1317060230987.jpg

Mounted my 240SX Accelerator Pedal.

1317590670877.jpg

Found this hose to use for a heater core bypass.

1317768732151.jpg

Cut out the battery tray and misc tabs in the engine compartment. I also removed the windshield wiper motor so I can mount inside the 510. Fuse box is gone and so are the mounting tabs for the emissions box above the throttle linkage.

1318953654113.jpg

I also pulled the stock fuel tank and dumped out the 6 gallons of fuel in it. I then looked inside the tank and it has a little bit of rust nothing major. I put in some car wash detergent and soaked it with water for around an hour and dumped it. A bunch of the loose rust came out but it was still dirty. I repeated the soap and water three more times and it was still a little rusty. I filled it up with two gallons of cheap white vinegar and let it sit over night. Rinsed it out 3 times with soap and water and each time more crap came out. Looked inside and its a little better and surprise, no fuel smell at all. I know of the chain or washer technique to remove the rust but is there anything I can have done to the tank to clear it all up? Like a hot tank? Will it screw up my sending unit?

I found the sending unit gasket here http://www.new-datsun-parts.com/datsun-510-parts-exterior1.html

Sweet build

You can get your tank hot tanked at most radiator shops, you have to take out the sending unit first.

Thanks James, I have been searching for them since I heard the best way to get out any residual fuel is to take it to a radiator shop to have them boil it out. Can you believe I cannot find one in my area?

Just found this place from a hot rod forum http://billsradiatorandmuffler.com/

• Like 1

Yo Dennis!! Love the progress. Do you have any more empty engine bay pictures showing the work you did??? I assume you are going to rear mount the battery and a box?

What did you mean by mounting the wiper motor inside the 510? No longer in the engine bay?? I'm confused on this one.

And, the last of my annoying questions. What spring rates did you utlimately decide on? I know you had two or three.

Yo Dennis!! Love the progress. Do you have any more empty engine bay pictures showing the work you did??? I assume you are going to rear mount the battery and a box?

What did you mean by mounting the wiper motor inside the 510? No longer in the engine bay?? I'm confused on this one.

And, the last of my annoying questions. What spring rates did you utlimately decide on? I know you had two or three.

I will shoot some pics in a little bit.

The battery is already mounted in the trunk.

044.jpg

Wiper motor is going to be mounted inside the cab of the car behind the glove box, all you do is cut a hole for the wiper motor and mount it. I have to also modify the first bar on the linkage so it will work since flipping it didnt line it up properly.

Right now 225# springs are in it and I wont switch them out till I get it aligned and running with the SR.

Here is a better pic (not shot with my cell). I removed all of the tabs (holding the wires down), wiper motor, fuse box, Hood prop, throttle linkage brackets, relays, and everything else that will not be used.

All the brake lines are going too. They will be replaced with Stainless AN fittings and Stainless Steel tubing.

I have also reached a point in my build to either mount the SR and tranny or start filling all the holes and getting the engine bay ready for paint. Taking the SR out wont be that big of a deal but I kind of need some gratification and just get it running. I am never one to do things half assed so I am in a dilemma.

001-2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a better pic (not shot with my cell). I removed all of the tabs (holding the wires down), wiper motor, fuse box, Hood prop, throttle linkage brackets, relays, and everything else that will not be used.

All the brake lines are going too. They will be replaced with Stainless AN fittings and Stainless Steel tubing.

I have also reached a point in my build to either mount the SR and tranny or start filling all the holes and getting the engine bay ready for paint. Taking the SR out wont be that big of a deal but I kind of need some gratification and just get it running. I am never one to do things half assed so I am in a dilemma.

001-2.jpg

When you are on it you move pretty fast Dennis, I say do everything you want to do to the engine bay done before you drop that jewel in there. Especially with how clean everything is going to look. You don,t want to give a girl an engagement ring in a paper bag. :lol: