Dennis' 72 510

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not bad dude, Sr, 5speed, and full uncut harness for 1700 even is a fair price if it isn't a shot motor, I had a sr20 240sx and the motor was bad, I got a new Sr, and it was also bad. Ended up building a turbo ka24de and that motor ran like a champ for years.

Eventually I want to put a turbo ka24de in my dime, but that is years away unless I will the lottery

Not bad dude, Sr, 5speed, and full uncut harness for 1700 even is a fair price if it isn't a shot motor, I had a sr20 240sx and the motor was bad, I got a new Sr, and it was also bad. Ended up building a turbo ka24de and that motor ran like a champ for years.

Eventually I want to put a turbo ka24de in my dime, but that is years away unless I will the lottery

Compression was good on all cylinders, if anything is wrong with it then I will just fix it. I couldnt image much being wrong with it that would cost too much.

I'm more of an L series and Ka series guy these days but the Sr is a good high rpm motor and they are built to run hard and fast.

Your car is going to be what I call a modern classic. All new hardware in a classic frame.

I have a really long way to go before my car even runs, yours looks great dude.

I'm more of an L series and Ka series guy these days but the Sr is a good high rpm motor and they are built to run hard and fast.

Your car is going to be what I call a modern classic. All new hardware in a classic frame.

I have a really long way to go before my car even runs, yours looks great dude.

I was going to run a KA but decided against it since I wanted around 225hp and to get that out of a KA would require more money than the just buying the SR. The only thing I am going to do to this motor is add a T28 and slightly larger injectors. I was thinking about an s14 since it already has a T28 but I didnt want to do that mod yet.

I am going to get aluminum pulleys and isis intake manifold and maybe a log top mount manifold before I drop it in maybe.

Put the SR20DET on the engine stand today and decided to remove a bunch of items I did not need, like power steering pump, a/c, tensioner, and fan (but not the clutch yet). I also put on order a ISIS Polished intake from Enjuku Racing. I wanted to save a few extra bucks so I went with them over the Greedy and they are tested to flow as good if not better than the Greedy unit and the casting is just as good. I didn't want to go with the Freedy since they are not as good with the casting.

Next on the list is the CX Racing top mount tubular turbo manifold. I decided on the CX Racing because nobody really makes a T28 top mount manifold and in the future I am planing on a T28.

You can't really see any progress on this side.

082.jpg

I removed the clutch (will install a new one), power steering pump, a/c, and heat sheild. The clutch looked like it still has plenty of wear to go, I would estimate this motor to have no more than 40k miles.

081.jpg

Here you can see most of the stuff removed. The block looked pretty clean as well.

080.jpg

semi-dark metallic blue

blue cam cover with gold letters would be rad

I am liking those blue AN fittings with the gold. Then again I love it when you see a polished/chrome SR and a bright red valve cover. I really need to figure this one out because I am almost to the point where I need to order my AN fittings.

Removed the exhaust manifold, turbo, dump pipe, and turbo oil/water lines. Everything looks pretty clean, still need to clean it up a little bit.

003.jpg

I also started on the engine bay a little, I cut off the battery mount and a few other tabs. I had to wrap it up because my wife was bugging me about coming inside. Oh, I also removed the exhaust system.

001.jpg

More parts came in! Too bad I cant work on this till after my in-laws are gone.

In the pic, SR transmission cross member, red billet fuel rail with -6 AN fittings (I like the way the side feeds look), circuit sports thermal intake gasket, and a some stainless fasteners for the fuel rail components.

oh, forgot the aac valve gasket.

001-1.jpg

This is going to take a while to get installed, I plan on cleaning up the engine then paint it. Once that is done all the hardware minus anything that needs to be a high grade will be stainless. I am also replacing the water pump, cosworth headgasket, arp head bolts, thermostat, and front/rear seals. Can anyone think of anything else that should be done to prevent leaks or problems in the future?

The housing situation is almost solved. We should be able to move in on march 31st. I was with the builder today and we had a tour of the garage (3 car of course) and the circuit breaker panel is in the garage with three open circuits. So soon after I move in I am going to have a contractor come out and put in a sub panel and run two 240 drops, 1 for my tig welder and 1 for my future 60 gallon cast iron compressor. I checked out the measurements since they cleaned all the empty boxes in the garage today and the garage is around 3.5 car sizes. since it has room for 3 cars and a large working area where some of my tools will go. Plus the only cars in the garage will be my wifes Audi TT and the 510 and together they are only 1 car.

LOL, I wont be impressing anyone. my garage is tandem meaning one side is two cars long and on side is one car long equaling 3 cars. Kind of crappy but I cant buy a house solely on the garage or I would be single. I am going to do some kind of enamel armor before I fully move in. I am also going from a 1350sq ft apartment to over 4000sq ft house so I will be spending a bunch of money on furniture.

In laws have been in town and were in the process of closing on a house so everything is chaotic. I did manage to get some work done today.

mocked up the fuel rail, I think I am going with another fuel rail this one kind of sucks. I polished the caps a little bit and added stainless steel fasteners.

IMAG0201.jpg

installed a new water pump and torqued the bolts down to 15ft lbs. Nissan uses Permatex ultra grey as a gasket, the Permatex shows a Nissan Part Number. When I pulled the original pump the cavity looked great. No signs of corrosion.

IMAG0202.jpg

left side of the block is nice and clean.

IMAG0203.jpg