Dennis' 72 510

got it ordered and its a z isolator

I gave up on the radiator customization. I do not understand why anyone would go with anything besides the Ron Davis 22163. It requires the least amount of fabrication. You do not have to cut the radiator support or the front support brace to run your intercooler piping. The 22163 is a proven unity so why change out something that works?

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Realy sssr20dets core support was all hacked up to make it fit with the cx racing intercooler with 2 cast 90's welded to it

oops, you are right. I should have posted that you have the most minimal amount of cutting. I forgot about cutting some half circles out of the sides of the support and widen the opening. I know on the CXracing and the TSR you have to widen the radiator cut out and cut the front support brace to allow your intercooler tubes to go under the radiator.

Also, my new 510 isolators are in and they measure 45.60mm so this is going to work out well. Beck Arnley 104-0827

I gave up on the radiator customization. I do not understand why anyone would go with anything besides the Ron Davis 22163. It requires the least amount of fabrication. You do not have to cut the radiator support or the front support brace to run your intercooler piping. The 22163 is a proven unity so why change out something that works?

Pics??

I made a post, on the realm that of course okayfine cried about, but i just searched and searched about rads with an SR and pics. Pretty good infos.

http://the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=13952

Pics??

I made a post, on the realm that of course okayfine cried about, but i just searched and searched about rads with an SR and pics. Pretty good infos.

http://the510realm.c...hp?f=30&t=13952

I have read that thread over a year ago. Nothing new in that one.

Pics of? I was doing a mock up, it was more directed at Topher since we had some PM's going on with each other.

Basically he and I were interested in designing a radiator that would fit the 510 SR20DET's better. Since we had limited space between the headlights and the front frame support it makes it kind of useless to even go any further than my cardboard design. I spoke to one of the Ron Davis guys and he gave me some insight and we both came to the conclusion that the best solution is just staying with the 22163. With the TSR/CXRacing model you have to enlarge the opening to get airflow to the radiator. You then have to cut the front rail so you can run intercooler tubes underneath that radiator. With the 22163 you have to enlarge the area a little bit and cut out some holes to provision for intercooler tubes. The TSR/CXRacing is the better choice if you have clearance issues with the crank pulley the radiator. The 22163 is a better choice if you do not mind a 3" thick radiator and no front frame rail modifications.

I just ment a pic of your rad installed, was curious about the bottom outlet.

It is not in yet. I have hit a flat spot on my build meaning my kids are on christmas break and I cannot get anything done with them home. I am too busy chasing my 6 year old and my 8 year old around the house preventing them from killing one another.

On another note I am on the lookout for a color to paint my valve cover. Anyone have any suggestions? I want it to be blingy, maybe a metallic, not multi-colored though.

It is not in yet. I have hit a flat spot on my build meaning my kids are on christmas break and I cannot get anything done with them home. I am too busy chasing my 6 year old and my 8 year old around the house preventing them from killing one another.

On another note I am on the lookout for a color to paint my valve cover. Anyone have any suggestions? I want it to be blingy, maybe a metallic, not multi-colored though.

I really want to do my valve cover and all the intercooler/ intake piping in that gold flake.

Well my buddy just bought a tsr rad but may not be using it and I was thinking of picking it up but you may have made me change my mind... Are you running the greddy pulleys? I forgot of you already mentioned this earlier but what size/ style intercooler are you using? Are you running it to the sides or under?

Just got done reading all 12 pages and you have yourself a great project bro.

I am also a disabled Vet and became a member here cause im about to buy a automatic 72 4 door 510 in great condition and wanted to look for pointers on engine swaps and suspension mods so ran across your thread and wow man keep up the good work, ohh I might pm u once in a while just to pick your brain.

:thumbup:

I really want to do my valve cover and all the intercooler/ intake piping in that gold flake.

Well my buddy just bought a tsr rad but may not be using it and I was thinking of picking it up but you may have made me change my mind... Are you running the greddy pulleys? I forgot of you already mentioned this earlier but what size/ style intercooler are you using? Are you running it to the sides or under?

I am running Togue Factory pulleys. I have not bought my intercooler yet, I am waiting till I can get a semi roughed in radiator mock up. Before all of that I purchased some new 510 isolators since they were 46mm tall it should clear my centerlink and lower the engine a little more. Part numbers are in a previous post.

I will be running my charge pipes in polished aluminum. I am going to go for a smooth polished pipe throughout.

Just got done reading all 12 pages and you have yourself a great project bro.

I am also a disabled Vet and became a member here cause im about to buy a automatic 72 4 door 510 in great condition and wanted to look for pointers on engine swaps and suspension mods so ran across your thread and wow man keep up the good work, ohh I might pm u once in a while just to pick your brain.

:thumbup:

Thanks, kind of slow build. I am not in a big hurry right now. I as going to try and get it on the road before Canby next year but I cant make it due to my wifes college graduation.

Also if you get time, might add to my rad post your positive thoughts on that rad, AFTER its in.

I am finding over the last few years of reading that datsun people seem reluctant to make single posts about a subject in the efforts to help others vs reading 40 page build posts.......

I am sure I can do something.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you flipp your center link? I have a buddy that did that on his sr 510 and it clears everything.

I wont be installing my isolators till the 3rd. Wont know for sure that the center link is clear. The holidays have really screwed up my build or lack of building.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The new Ron Davis radiator came in today. My last one never made it out of the box. I put it in the 510 to check out any clearance issues and help decide on how to mount it. Looks like I am going to have to have a 90* elbow welded up to clear the alternator.