Dennis' 72 510

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to prep the tail lights I picked up. The lens was off a different car and the chrome trim was all dented up. I pulled off the lens and it turns out that the PO did some nasty work. This is what it looked like when I pulled the tail lights off.

004-2.jpg

Look at all the goop that the PO used since he didnt have a gasket.

005-1.jpg

Housing was cracked so he did a Mickey Mouse job fixing it.

007-1.jpg

008.jpg

I then cleaned all the adhesive and then used a body hammer and dolly to clean up the tabs to straighten everything up.

010.jpg

Go to the j yard find a old early 80's caravan or starion . Actualy any old mitsu chrysler plymouth should have the resevor relocation on it then you should have room for a heat shield. We did it to phills car . Look in phills build thread there should be a pic. It makes it so you can mount tres on the little shelf by the hing

that why most people use logs?

This was custom made for a 510.

I have come to the conclusion that my SR is mounted way to high. I just measured and my valve cover is above hood line, looks like my motor mounts are too thick. I will check the clearance with my center link and go from there.

• 2 weeks later...

i used 1/2 inch spacers and l motor mount's.

I got to drive mine around the block today it was fun punched it in 2nd and lit the tires up !

I am riding around 4 - 5mm higher than your setup and I know that my hood wont close with 5mm to spare. I am going to have to find out where something is going wrong at.

I also mounted my new to me tail lights with new gaskets. Will post pics after my camera batteries are done charging.

Since we are on the topic of motor mounts and engine mounting here, I read something recently and wanted your guys' thoughts. I read that the natural angle of the engine in whatever vehicle it comes in is often over-looked. So if the SR20DET sat in a JDM 180sx at a certain inclination, this would be the same angle that you would want to recreate in the engine's new home. I was reading on harmonic balances and found my way on that topic. Does this angle really matter? Obviously we are all considering different engine mounts that have an effect. DISLEXICDIME with L motor mounts and spacers, Dennis with 620 mounts and maybe McKinney later, I was planning on OEM sr20det mounts on the Datsport kit, but that has become an epic and costly fail (until I sell it - thanks Dennis!!).

Since we are on the topic of motor mounts and engine mounting here, I read something recently and wanted your guys' thoughts. I read that the natural angle of the engine in whatever vehicle it comes in is often over-looked. So if the SR20DET sat in a JDM 180sx at a certain inclination, this would be the same angle that you would want to recreate in the engine's new home. I was reading on harmonic balances and found my way on that topic. Does this angle really matter? Obviously we are all considering different engine mounts that have an effect. DISLEXICDIME with L motor mounts and spacers, Dennis with 620 mounts and maybe McKinney later, I was planning on OEM sr20det mounts on the Datsport kit, but that has become an epic and costly fail (until I sell it - thanks Dennis!!).

One issue I see is the oil sump. If you have too big of an angle you risk the oil pickup not supplying oil. Also you could have weird shifting angles.

If you are talking about this angle then you have to take into consideration of the angle of my front end. I do not have the 510 level but if you run it off the orientation of the radiator support you will notice that is not to far off from being level. If you were to sit inside the 510 you will notice that the shift plate is level with the tunnel. I think this is right around the natural orientation of the SR.

005-2.jpg

It's more natural environment is the 240SX and even in there it sits clocked to about the one o'clock position

3025374_3.jpg

dude your way ahead of my build sad.gif i want to rip out my motor tomorrow but i know my motor still needs to get all the goodies put in and now i decided to bore it out a bit and put forged pistons in it... ok i have one question when you mounded the motor from the botom did you simply lift the whole front up enough to push the motor under? thats a great idea and that means i can start mounting my cross member and motor mounts. also is the greddy oil pan any higher then the stock one?

dude your way ahead of my build sad.gif i want to rip out my motor tomorrow but i know my motor still needs to get all the goodies put in and now i decided to bore it out a bit and put forged pistons in it... ok i have one question when you mounded the motor from the botom did you simply lift the whole front up enough to push the motor under? thats a great idea and that means i can start mounting my cross member and motor mounts. also is the greddy oil pan any higher then the stock one?

my greddy pan is a hair above my x member don't put your turbo on until the motor is in the car if you go from under neath.

lift up the car slide the motor under on a creeper take the cherry picker lift the engine and x member up and bolt it all in

if you look at boostinben's build thread my greddy pan sits about as high as his

I lifted mine from the front tow hooks. I had a 10,000lbs nylon tow strap with some 2,000lbs d rings and just lifted that bitch. Slid the motor and tranny in on a Harbor freight dolly and bam, its in. Super simple, I didnt even have to jack up the engine at all. I did jack up the tranny to mount the tranny xmember. I also didnt even take off the struts. I just removed the center link and the old cross member.

how man whatd you end up doing with the tail lights ? im having a hard time finding the gaskets just wondering if theres any other options

I bought some aftermarket ones for 50.00 shipped for inner and outer right and left from Nicoya. Nice product, I only wound up using the body rubber but its nice to have the the inners if I ever need them.

I lifted mine from the front tow hooks. I had a 10,000lbs nylon tow strap with some 2,000lbs d rings and just lifted that bitch. Slid the motor and tranny in on a Harbor freight dolly and bam, its in. Super simple, I didnt even have to jack up the engine at all. I did jack up the tranny to mount the tranny xmember. I also didnt even take off the struts. I just removed the center link and the old cross member.

what did you do for the trans mount? thats the only mounting stuff i need to still figure out

what did you do for the trans mount? thats the only mounting stuff i need to still figure out

Contact Dave at Experimental Engineering, they are $75.00. They are very nice cross members but make sure you ask what rubber mount they use because I forgot. I will send you his email address in a PM.

• 2 weeks later...