Dennis' 72 510

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

had to drop down the intercooler as low as possible to lower the radiator to make clearance for the hood. Hoses are all cut up and everything fits like a champ.

Upper Radiator Hoses ( I used Gates)

Gates 21347

Goodyear 61656

Lower (I used Gates)

Gates 21970

Goodyear 62247

I had to order some clamps so I went with 2" Clampco t-bolt clamps in a 2.0" the outside hose diameter is 1.82" and that clamp minimum is 1.71".

20121004_094451.jpg

20121004_095447.jpg

20121004_095045.jpg

• Like 1

Any chance you'll drive it over to the monthly Hurst meet when it runs? :thumbup:

Might actually have my 510 back on the road by then... ^_^

Im not in a huge rush, but I will drive it over to freebirds for the monthly meet when I do get it going. I ordered a bunch of crap to do the wiring last night. I am doing one 22 pin Weatherpack bulkhead fitting (for now) with nylon braided mesh wire cover. It wont be half assed either, everything will be soldered and tucked as much out of site as possible. I also ordered a couple of Nissan connectors to repair some of the damaged or broken pins.

I also have to repair the front core support from the cutting I did for the other intercooler.

so is that the cx racing ic and radiator ?

Yes it is, I figured I would give it a try and if the radiator fails I could slap a TSR in there. I am not worried about the intercooler at all. That actually has nice welds and is very stout. The TSR radiator should bolt in since they are exactly the same minus the quality of course. I needed to lay back a little on the costs since I have spent way too much already.

I am going to shoot for a March completion.

to do list (in order):

paint catch can satin black with a flat clear coat (finish up this weekend)

Engine wiring harness (partial finish/waiting on split nylon braided hose and weatherpack plugs)

finish up AN 8 lines for oil catch can (waiting on an fittings/special order)

Clock turbo, new custom bracket for internal wastegate, if I cannot get this working properly then I will go with a External Tial wastegate.

Bend stainless 3/8 fuel lines

Finish up fuel tank

fit intercooler pipes

install BOV

install coolant overflow can

install turbo dump pipe

install o2 sensor

mock up intake filter/pipe/maf setup

fire it up and check for leaks

• 2 months later...

Jumping all over the place with this project. I picked up a bunch of parts for it a while ago but then got bronchitis and didnt feel like working on it. I finished up a line for the oil catch can. I decided to go all nickel plated AN ends. I also plan to install the new Braille Battery and box either today or tomorrow.

20121206_120950.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This isnt significant but it was to me.  Bending 304L Stainless  3/8" .035 tubing with a hand bender isnt easy and the tomei fuel regulator gave me some issues.

First I had to re-tap the 1/8" npt threads for the fuel pressure gauge port, this was hard because the depth you have to work with is shallow.  Then bending the tubing took me two tries to get the bends perfect.  I also designed the fuel supply and return lines to be broken down into sections so if one area needs to be removed for maintenance or replacement I dont have to do the whole thing.  The rear is pretty trick, I used (2) -6an 90* bulkhead fittings so everything is a hardline from the fuel pressure regulator to the inside of the trunk.

Oh, I sealed it all up with some PTFE sealer.  I dont want to see any leaks when I fire this pig up.

20130128_102853.jpg

I bent my whole stainless fuel line with a hand bender it its a HUGE pain in the ass... You pretty much mounted your FPR in the same place as mine. Or actually I think I copied you... I forget. Looks good. i used the permitex high temp sealant so I hope it seals up everything