Dennis' 72 510

Tomei Fuel pressure regulator came in, 2.75" Clampco T-Bolt clamps, Steering wheel hub adapter (from Tailand), cast turbo manifold, intercooler, and radiator. Kids are all off for the summer so building is gonna be slow.

When buying Tomei stuff, buy it from a reputable dealer. Check out this fake one on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOMEI-Adjustable-Fuel-Pressure-Regulator-Gauge-FPR-type-S-FEDEX-SHIPPING-/260986937168 All Tomei products come with a Certificate of authenticity.

1338836098449.jpg

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dropped some high temp VHT silver paint on the cast turbo manifold. I plan on running a T25 to get it running but once it is good to go then I am going to replace it with a GT28060RS with a T3 compressor housing and a tial wastegate.

1338838672166.jpg

Ok, here I go...

I am going to go to a GT30xx turbo, I was going to go to a GT2860 but decided for more power. For now I just want to get it running before I swap out the ECU to an AEM 2 unit. So I am just going with the stock T25 for now. The cast manifold is a T3 with a provision for an external wastegate. So I picked up a cast T3 to T2 (most of the T25/28/GT25/28's are T2 housings) and a wastegate block off plate. Not sure if I am going to paint it high temp aluminum or not since I dont see me running with the stock T25 for very long. for the T3 side I am running M10 x 1.5 Stainless studs and bolts and the T2 side will be just the stock M8 x 1.25 studs with copper plated nuts. This just happens to be the same size as the wategate as well so I might just replace the wategate studs while the manifold is out.

20120608_155645.jpg

Mmmmm

Pale Yellow 4dr....

Very nice!!!!

Thanks Carter!

I also installed my exhaust studs today then threw on the copper gasket followed by the cast manifold and some copper nuts.

I thought my build would slow down with my 4 kids being home all the time on summer break.

20120610_131708.jpg

20120610_133258.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well I met AJ today for some Chipotle and a plug cover and got to look at his emblems first hand. They look pretty good.

I stripped down my valve cover to paint it again the same color. this time the paint will be more perfect than before plus I am going to shoot a high temp flat clear coat over it.

Here is what the cover looks like, it is acrylic with a brushed metal look. Also, AJ can make any design you want on it. Psss, check out the Tomei oil cap.

20120624_160216.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well this is a bitch. I installed my Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 in the stock 510 radio location today. cutting out the hole for the DIN sized unit was easy but the trim ring needed to be massaged big time. Two hours of sanding finally got it to fit properly. Now I need to figure out where to mount the Bluetooth microphone and the USB outlet.

20120714_200758.jpg

I had to epoxy another ring in behind where the DIN plate goes to keep it from cracking. 40 year old plastic doesn't support heavier head units these days with a hair to hold onto.

I'd put the USB outlet in the opposite cig lighter location. That's where I plan to put mine. The mic depending on size, might fit well enough to the top left of the cigarette lighter. Not sure what style you have.

Well this is a bitch. I installed my Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 in the stock 510 radio location today. cutting out the hole for the DIN sized unit was easy but the trim ring needed to be massaged big time. Two hours of sanding finally got it to fit properly. Now I need to figure out where to mount the Bluetooth microphone and the USB outlet.

20120714_200758.jpg

My 510 had that same deck when I bought it. Now its in my 720! I love it.

I ran a bolt from the metal shelf that is directly below the radio (above the ash tray), upwards, and used a nut to lock it into place. Then I placed a rubber grommet of sorts on the end of the bolt. The radio rests on the rubber on the end of the bolt. When I say bolt, I should say machine screw.

I had to epoxy another ring in behind where the DIN plate goes to keep it from cracking. 40 year old plastic doesn't support heavier head units these days with a hair to hold onto.

I'd put the USB outlet in the opposite cig lighter location. That's where I plan to put mine. The mic depending on size, might fit well enough to the top left of the cigarette lighter. Not sure what style you have.

I might not even mount the mic since it would probably be useless in the 510. Anyone on the other end probably wont hear shit.

My 510 had that same deck when I bought it. Now its in my 720! I love it.

I had this deck in my Land Rover for about 18 months. I traded it in for my Countryman but put in a crappy Pioneer Deck that I had laying around. This deck is pretty cool, I like the iPod controls on it better than the Pioneer deck I swapped in.

I ran a bolt from the metal shelf that is directly below the radio (above the ash tray), upwards, and used a nut to lock it into place. Then I placed a rubber grommet of sorts on the end of the bolt. The radio rests on the rubber on the end of the bolt. When I say bolt, I should say machine screw.

Thanks, I was actually not going to use a strap or some sort of brace. After reading the few comments on bracing it I will figure something out.

Anyone know the size of the speakers up front? I have never done a stereo in any of the 510's I have owned. I will probably just run some medium priced Focal Coaxials. I am hoping to stay away from modding the kick panels for speakers and I wont mount anything in the doors. After all the 510 wont be driven much and when I do drive it, it wont be for very long.

Well I decided that I had enough not doing anything in the garage so I roughed it out and went out into the heat.

I first drilled out two holes for my Tomei FPR. These two holes were for the M6 x 1.0 Aluminum Rivnuts. I decided on Rivnuts so I wouldnt have to have a hand inside the 510 holding down a nut. This will make it much easier to get the FPR in and out of the 510 if I need to. Of course I installed some M6 stainless fasteners, flat washers, and lock washers. I dont like the angle of the Tomei gauge so I am going to have to have to buy a brass 45* angled fitting so I can view it easier.

Untitled-1.jpg

20120715_155802.jpg

20120715_160251.jpg

i know your vin :devil:

All VIN numbers are viewable on the outsides of vehicles. It is illegal to cover them up. Never understood why people cover their license plates in pics either. Also the old Dime Quarterly has hundreds of VIN posted on it with the legal owners name. I think I have had three or four 510s with the year, vin, and my name posted on the website.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well I stripped down the valve cover, ground down some of the casting errors and then shot it in a high temp primer. Then shot some VHT burnt orange again along with some satin clear coat. I sprayed it outside so it didnt turn out as well as I wanted it to. I have also decided not to remove the paint on the raised lettering. I kind of like it like that. I have been grinding down my welds on the fuel tank as well. The tank is far from done, I have decided to make a couple of patch panels for the tubes that I cut off.

20120829_150233.jpg

• Like 1

What can you do for this VC?

Shagy can do a name plate like mine. The painting was the easy part, the prep took a while and it is far from perfect. Check these out http://www.tf-works.com/tf-aluminum-sr20det-valve-cover-nut-washer-set-s13/ I am ordering mine in black. I pulled out my fitting out of the valve cover and tapped it for -8an fitting.