Dennis' 72 510

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well i put on my drivers side 280ZX strut and then lowered it to the ride height I though would look good. The wheels were sucked in at least 3/4" and I am probably running -1* camber. Something is rubbing when I turn hard to the left so I will have to figure that one out.

Here it is for now. It was getting dark out and I forgot my DSLR again so I snapped them with my cell.

030.jpg

Here you can't see any tire when looking directly down the fender. You can see a little bit of the side of the tire because the wheels werent straight..

031.jpg

Ok, here are some pics of the T3 Camber Plates and my Painted 280ZX struts and rotor. I did not bother painting or cleaning up the caliper since they are getting swapped out with wilwoods soon.

032.jpg

033.jpg

For my current ride height this is as low as I can go before the perch hits the tire. This is about a 3-4mm gap. The split shaft collars are not an issue at all,

034.jpg

I put the 280ZX strut on the drivers side only, here is a couple of pictures with passenger side with the stock 510 struts and the drivers side 280zx installed with around -2* camber. You will notice how much farther the stock struts track width are.

035.jpg

036.jpg

Here are some measurements of the track width remember drivers side 280zx passenger side is stock. Over a 1 1/4" difference per side. Keep in mind that the 280zx side is -2* camber.

037.jpg

038.jpg

Finally here is how it now sits. I am currently waiting on a rear Wilwood brake kit and QA1 Coil Overs from Troy Ermish. So for the moment I am just running the stock drums and cut springs. I will probably raise the rear 1/2" once my new coil overs are installed.

039.jpg

Conclusion

You can run +4mm 15x7 with 195/50/15 on a 280zx strut with no spacers as long as you go no lower than my 510's current stance. You will also have some rubbing on the front fenders so you will have to roll them. Later on today I will roll the front fenders with some pics.

Tips

When running the T3/Ground Control Sleeves make sure you use the large o-rings that come with the kit. These o-rings go on the strut tube before you install the sleeve. The o-rings eliminate the sleeve rattling when cornering. When you put the o-rings on before you slide your sleeve over them make sure you rub them down with a little bit of oil or you will have a hard time getting the sleeves to slide down the o-rings without the o-rings bunching up.

Pimps run 4 doors!!!!!!!!!!!Thats pimpn!

you could buy 7inch springs if you want later.

also get the front aligned as soon as you can(with the bumbsteer) as my tires were feathering.

looks good

LOL, that's my 3rd 510 and all of them have been 4 doors. I just can't seem to get away from them. I have four kids and I would at least need to put three of them in there so this is why I get four doors.

Let us know how the coilovers work and the price/part# please Looks like a nice friday project

tons of threads on coil overs, even on piece together units. These are Troy Ermish coil overs, I could have saved around 50.00 if I pieced them together myself so I figured it wasn't worth it. I have ran these before on one of my past 510s so the performance will be predictable.

Finally here is how it now sits. So for the moment I am just running the stock drums and cut springs. I will probably raise the rear 1/2" once my new coil overs are installed.

039.jpg

Did you cut the stock springs? How much did you cut off? It sounds like you wish you would have cut a little less. I want to cut my stock springs for now. Any advice would be appreciated. :D

Bitchin 4door Dennis! Thanks for the inspiration!

Thanks, I will keep it going!!!

Did you cut the stock springs? How much did you cut off? It sounds like you wish you would have cut a little less. I want to cut my stock springs for now. Any advice would be appreciated. :D

I cut the stock springs and removed exactly two coils. I wish I would have cut around 1 3/4 coils but now I am liking it so I would still cut two coils. I think it has the perfect stance now. When I put my rear coil overs on this week/weekend I will probably lower it to the exact same height. I only cut the coils because I couldnt stand looking at the stance the way it was and I only drove it around the block a couple of times since I bought it, so it was no big deal cutting the coils.

I plan to leave the body as ratty as it currently is and do the following:

12.2 wilwoods up front

SR20DET (stock except top mount exhaust mani and intake mani)

R180VLSD with Subie CV inners and Custom outter CV's

I might not even do the body work for a while because I think the coolness factor is kind of cool.

In a couple of weeks I will be doing Corbeau FX seats with aluminum mounts along with a momo mod 78 steering wheel.

I might not even do the body work for a while because I think the coolness factor is kind of cool.

I am with you on this dennis! Your dime has just enough patina to make it interesting, but not like a total rot bucket. Especially balanced with all the clean touches you are doing to the suspension etc. You only get that kind of history once! (Unless someone wants to drive a new paintjob for 40 years to get the same effect!)

I have great respect for fully finished rides too. But my heart really jumps when I see old paint, scars and all with a great stance and wheels.

I am with you on this dennis! Your dime has just enough patina to make it interesting, but not like a total rot bucket. Especially balanced with all the clean touches you are doing to the suspension etc. You only get that kind of history once! (Unless someone wants to drive a new paintjob for 40 years to get the same effect!)

I have great respect for fully finished rides too. But my heart really jumps when I see old paint, scars and all with a great stance and wheels.

I would love to keep it stock but it does have a very small amount of rust on the quarters so it will have to be addressed one day. I do not think it will spread since it is garaged and I do not drive it much (at least till I get my SR20DET in it).

Good day for parts. Besides the coil overs and brakes coming in I also received my stainless steel fasteners to install my Odyssey battery tray in the trunk and these were in the mail. I bought them off of ebay (factory repro's) for 29.99. The quality is decent and I pay great attention to detail so most people will not notice the minor flaws.

042.jpg

I know you haven't driven this much, have you driven it since you cut the rear springs? How'd it feel. I don't want to cut the stock springs, was just going to try to find some t-bird or d50 springs. Used any of those?

Battery looks good, so damn small ever thought of recessing it? Suppose not since you got that sweet hold down.

ebc4dae7.jpg

I know you haven't driven this much, have you driven it since you cut the rear springs? How'd it feel. I don't want to cut the stock springs, was just going to try to find some t-bird or d50 springs. Used any of those?

I cut down the stock springs and it drove like crap. I have since installed the Ermish Coil Overs and for the .5 miles I put on it it was great. I am going to drive it a little more aggressively on Sunday after I finish up the rest of the suspension and will report back.

Battery looks good, so damn small ever thought of recessing it? Suppose not since you got that sweet hold down.

This build will not have much fabrication till I move into my new house. I have a very small 1.5 car garage (1.5 length wise) and have no room for anything. Still I dont think I will recess the battery. I might run two of these PC680T's depending on how the whole system handles the smaller battery. then again I know of a lot of people with KA's and SR20's running them without issues. I might have a problem with the stock L16 since I start it up once every other day and most of the time it takes a few seconds to get it going if not 2 or 3 times of a few seconds of cranking.

Here is a pic of her ass

005.jpg

Hard to believe this is what my 510 looks like under all that cammo spraypaint I am removing! My yellow might be lighter though. But the stock paint I am finding is way more beat up.

Thanks for the inspiration to keep scrubbing!