Overseas Car Shipping

Just curious if anyone here has experience with overseas/freight car shipping? I am thinking about re-locating to Australia/New Zealand and I want to bring my Dime with me! Any Info on Cost & Time, Pro's & Cons would be awesome! Oh I am located in The NW united Sates :)

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno if its still the case but supposedly cars needed to be converted to RHD to drive on the roads there.. I read something recently that there was a X number of years old exception to the rule but I don't know for sure...

Hopefully some one from down under can give you the full story on the rules.

Also, I think Australia and New Zealand still have a list of occupations to consider before you're allowed to move there. Unlike the US, they don't just let anyone in. There has to be a spot for you. If you have another job lined up down there, that's a plus. You're not the only guy who has thought about moving to Australia. Big Datto culture, rally racing, what's not to like?!

I dunno if its still the case but supposedly cars needed to be converted to RHD to drive on the roads there.. I read something recently that there was a X number of years old exception to the rule but I don't know for sure...

Hopefully some one from down under can give you the full story on the rules.

A friend of mine relocated to Australia several years ago. He brought his 1964 Mustang with him. First problem, right habd versus left hand drive. If the car is considered an antique or was 25 or more years old, you get a wave, no conversion required, however you may have to have a sticker on the rear designating your car as left hand drive. Major problem, import valuation for duty purposes. Bring a copy of your sales paperwork, not just registration. You will be charged duty based on the inspector's inflated valuation [probably based on local collector market] unless you can prove that you bought the car for less than the official's inflated value. My friend no longer had his sales slip, but I sent him a copy of an old "Car and Driver" evaluating the new Mustang and listing the manufacturers suggested retail price. That article plus a title search from the California DMV showing that he was the owner since 1964 saved him big bucks.

Might try that question on "1200.com" (might even be in their wiki), thought I had seen it on there once....hey, if they are down under, are we up over? :blink:

Also, I think Australia and New Zealand still have a list of occupations to consider before you're allowed to move there. Unlike the US, they don't just let anyone in. There has to be a spot for you. If you have another job lined up down there, that's a plus. You're not the only guy who has thought about moving to Australia. Big Datto culture, rally racing, what's not to like?!

+1 , and Giant Bugs would freak me out :lol: :D ;) Hey a giant bug from down under might be able to pick up and drop off the datto for ya ! :D or it just might steal it

Giant-Bugs.jpg

+1 on double-checking before you move there. It was many years ago, but a buddy and I investigated moving to NZ. If you don't have a job -BEFORE- you go, you'll only get a visa to visit. You cannot show up, then find a job.

Maybe it's changed, but better find out first.

Some of the guys have touched on these subjects already.............

In NZ they are *VERY* strict on what they allow on the road. For instance, I knew a guy who took his car in for inspection, and even though the 510 seats and brackets were stock, they still made him add additional bracing at the bottom before they would give him the OK. They are also very strict on rust, and items that are non-operational. So if your car has issues, missing pieces, or rust, don't bother taking it.

As for Australia, you need to show proof of work *before* they let you into the country. If you just show up to move there, without a job, they will tell you to leave.

From what my uncle tells me it costs about $5k nz to ship a car. 25 years is the cut off for LHD but if it is a personal import(lets say i wanted my 1999 4 runner there) i can import it and drive it as is BUT i cannot sell it unless it is converted to RHD. The warrant of fitness is very detailed and a pita. No rust what so ever but on the flip side the driving where i'm from (south island) is insane, think twisty 2 lane roads that are made for driving fast. If you need more info pm me and i'll talk to my uncle.

usually for imports you gotta worry about SEVs, lots of rules as to what can come in and be legally roadworthied and registered (compliance)

you'd get in under personal import however, which bypasses a lot of these rules so thats a start :D you still need to go through roadworthy inspections though, they dont like ANY rust, nor body repairs without it being engineereed. panel replacements are fine just gets a bit tricky with shell repairs and monocoque cars. if it looks like its been chopped they'll ask questions. welded suspension components are pretty much fail too, or things like non factory seats, or seatbelt mounts (say if you had a harness) and cages and stuff like that

if you've got any of that you need to go for a seperate inspection called an engineers inspection. basically a consulting auto engineer is paid for the pleasure of looking at your car and telling you what he doesnt like about it, and what you gotta fix and how. upwards of $500 for his services, if he's looking at things like engine conversions and the like its usually upward of 700

after that, given its LHD i think its alright provided you've got a nice ugly big sticker/sign on the rear windscreen or about the car telling everyone its right hand drive. turning right at traffic lights might be interesting given you cant see whats coming, same with other junctions :( ive seen a handful of 'stangs registered locally that are still LHD, so its gotta be possible somehow

and as if the above isnt enough, the rules differ slightly between states :( and insurance might be exxy with a LHD car, and if you were thinking about swapping all your cool stuff from your current dime into a RHD one, 510's are usually pricey here :( sound chassis ones are 3k+, only cheaper if you get lucky, and theyre not too common :(

gary is pretty much spot on there!!!

there is slight variations depending on what state your planning on coming to though. In Queensland we use a modification plate setup and this is your 'engineering cert' to a degree for the vehicle to say its modifications and variations are compliant to drive on the roads.

usually for imports you gotta worry about SEVs, lots of rules as to what can come in and be legally roadworthied and registered (compliance)

you'd get in under personal import however, which bypasses a lot of these rules so thats a start :D you still need to go through roadworthy inspections though, they dont like ANY rust, nor body repairs without it being engineereed. panel replacements are fine just gets a bit tricky with shell repairs and monocoque cars. if it looks like its been chopped they'll ask questions. welded suspension components are pretty much fail too, or things like non factory seats, or seatbelt mounts (say if you had a harness) and cages and stuff like that

if you've got any of that you need to go for a seperate inspection called an engineers inspection. basically a consulting auto engineer is paid for the pleasure of looking at your car and telling you what he doesnt like about it, and what you gotta fix and how. upwards of $500 for his services, if he's looking at things like engine conversions and the like its usually upward of 700

after that, given its RHD i think its alright provided you've got a nice ugly big sticker/sign on the rear windscreen or about the car telling everyone its right hand drive. turning right at traffic lights might be interesting given you cant see whats coming, same with other junctions :( ive seen a handful of 'stangs registered locally that are still RHD, so its gotta be possible somehow

and as if the above isnt enough, the rules differ slightly between states :( and insurance might be exxy with a RHD car, and if you were thinking about swapping all your cool stuff from your current dime into a LHD one, 510's are usually pricey here :( sound chassis ones are 3k+, only cheaper if you get lucky, and theyre not too common :(

Do you guys drive on the left or the right side of the road? I think you said it backward. We here in the US have LHD cars.

• Like 1

Just curious if anyone here has experience with overseas/freight car shipping? I am thinking about re-locating to Australia/New Zealand and I want to bring my Dime with me! Any Info on Cost & Time, Pro's & Cons would be awesome! Oh I am located in The NW united Sates smile.gif

If your car is just way to mod'd to let go, it might be worth it. If you can part with it, Australia got ALOT of cool and different models of datsun than we(u.s.) never did! Please move so the rest of us can have you ship the good parts back to us!!! LOL And, NO RUST AT ALL, MECHANICALLY PERFECT AND ABSOLUTELY NO LEAKS OR DRIPS OF ANY KIND. best of luck on your new JOB!!