Do you see anything wrong here?

23 members have voted

1. 1. Whats wrong here?

• Where's your tire?
    • Theres a scratch. What did you do?
    • HOLY SHIT.

Step 1, confirm your wheels still have the correct hole and seat. Step two, replace ALL your wheel studs and wheel lug nuts. Re-torque to 85 ft-lbs. Re-torque after a drive around the block, then re-torque again in 25 miles. THEN, take a sharpie, mark the lug nuts on the top and on the wheel, so you can see if they move. Inspect as often as necessary.

Just had the studs replaced last time... blink.gif I had the wheel off the other day because I felt a slight vibration and wobble. First step was making sure the lugs were tight , which they were. Second I felt around the suspension and steering and EVERYTHING was perfect. So I figured it must have been a tire out of balance. Shitty thing was, I just got paid and was going tomorrow morning dry.gif

Step 1, replace the rotor, pads, bearing, and bearing cap.

Does Napa carry ZX lugs? :rofl:

Is there any chance someone wants to harm you? Seems odd to me as I've (knock on wood) never had a wheel fall off.

Steve G might after last night :rofl:

Seriously though, I don't know of anyone who would. I guess it's always possible someone's fucking with me. my car is under video surveillance whenever it's home so believe me, I'll be checking.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Beleave it or not, but this happened to me. I was driving my 1947 longbed chevy truck to the hanggliding site I flew at, and the truck started vibrating badly all the way till I stopped, I got out and looked at the wheels in the front, got back in the truck and started moving about another 100 feet and stopped because of the vibration, got out and started looking at each wheel from the drivers side front clockwise around the truck, I got around to the drivers side back and stood there amazed, there was not one lugnut left on the drivers side rear, yet the wheel was still where it belonged. All but one of the studs were ruined, and i am 80+ miles from home. What am I going to do now? What I did was lift the good rear pass. side wheel after removing one lugnut from that side and put it on the other side to hold the wheel on, then I removed the pass. side drum and knocked out two of the studs and put them on the other side, then I barrowed a lugnut from the front and used it in the back, presto, I had 3 lugnuts on each rear tire, it was enough to get me to a napa and to the hanggliding hill to get a flight in, I was greasy as 4377, but I got a flight in, and thats what really mattered.

Update. $30 and it's back on the road! I haven't test driven it yet since the new rotor went on, but I'm sure it's gonna be fine. I'll drive it around the block and come home and re-torque it.

Oics

IMAG0143.jpg

Here's where it dropped. I was pulling into the right turn lane when it went. I found all the lugs at the last intersection. When I turned, I must have lost them all, because they were all a few hundred feet behind me. Meaning, I drove a few hundred feet with no lugs blink.gif

IMAG0147.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if because of that amount of metal missing from the rotor, you have some shaking due to imbalanced weight. It may not, but if you feel a vibration, I'd start looking there.

The rotors been replaced. The reason it's so flat is because I landed on it. Not sure what caused this twice, but I've lock-tited it.

did you replace the lug nuts and studs? a little bit of blue lock tight might be a good idea from now on

Yup, new lugs and studs and a nice healthy bit of lock-tite. I think it's coincidence that it was that wheel.

Theres a nasty wobble in the car at speed. I need to get it figured out.

Yup, new lugs and studs and a nice healthy bit of lock-tite. I think it's coincidence that it was that wheel.

Theres a nasty wobble in the car at speed. I need to get it figured out.

That nasty wobble may be that the rim itself is bent. Same wheel, twice?! Have you rotated your tires since the last time this happened? I read the tread and I dunno if I missed this or not but I'd go have that rim checked out. I work for Toyota dealer in the shop (I know, work for Toyota and drive a Datsun! :D) and you'd not believe some of things that come in. We've seen rims warped in such away they can throw lug nuts after a bit. If it's not the rim, how are your bearings holding up on that side?

MM47

Have you thought about "Left Handed threaded Lug Nuts/studs " ??? :unsure: ,,, I use to work on ISUZU NPR Diesels that use Left hand thread on one side , and right hand thread on the other ( wheels hubs ) ,,,

Just a thought :)

My '76 courier had left hand thread on one side. Retarded idea. If it's a knock off where there's only one nut holding the wheel on, it makes sense. But on a multiple lug wheel, it matters not as far as the wheel staying on. Much less there aren't lots of stories about the 210s having wheels come off. I do know the Titans had an issue with loosing wheels, and the fix was to put a steel nut seat in the aluminum rim.

You do have washers with your mag lug nuts, right? I'd look at that rim too, it may well be bent and torquing weirdly or something in normal driving. I had a set of 6 spoke Z wheels on the 510 wagon and I two wheeled that thing around the autocross course and never had a wheel come off.

have you given the tires a really good once over? if there is a bubble in them somewhere you will get a knarly vibration do you have access to another car you can bolt the wheels to? that would help see if its the car or the wheels you can also try moving the wheels front to back and then side to side to see if it moves

MM47

Have you thought about "Left Handed threaded Lug Nuts/studs " ??? :unsure: ,,, I use to work on ISUZU NPR Diesels that use Left hand thread on one side , and right hand thread on the other ( wheels hubs ) ,,,

Just a thought :)

My vw has those, don't ever take it to a tire shop and expect them to listen to you.. one snapped lug bolt later (63 so didn't have studs) and stripped bolts they figured it out.. after being told when I brought it in.

As for the wheels coming off, I think your datto is telling you to get it some new shoes man.

Do you have some other rims you can swap out for the time being?

It seems like you need to isolate the problem out. As far as I can tell your situation is (please correct this if I have misunderstood this):

ZX car 6 spoke wheels w/ ZX lugnuts, on stock 210 struts. You put on the lugnuts yourself and torqued them by hand? with a torque wrench?

The issue is the lugnuts loosen up and fall off, and/or the studs snap. You have replaced the studs and they still break, on both the front or back.

I am still unclear if the studs are breaking before or after the lugnuts fall off (e.g. the studs break because the lugnuts fell off and the tire applies an incorrect loading).

It seems like at a minimum you should swap out the rims and lugnuts. Run it for a while and see if the damn wheel falls off again. If you can, swap out the front struts also so you are dealing with completely different components, maybe time to do a 280zx strut upgrade?