85 720 K/C..new truck for me

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok I made a disturbing discovery today... I believe the head gasket has gone bad on the 720 [Z 24]

The last 2 days ive noticed the engine knocking & pinging at all speeds, rough idle & an obvious loss of power going up hills.

& today i noticed water spraying out from where the exhaust manifold bolts to the down pipe & lots of smoke [vapor] coming from the tailpipe as i got home from work today.

Checked the oil & its not discolored & the water lever in the radiator is still full.

Wierd thing is that the truck still has a fair amount of power as long as i ease it through the gears & dont try to take off fast from a stop.

The motor only has 144,500 miles on it but sat for many years before i bought it. Kind of bummed but oh well sh*t happens. Any tips on the head gasket repair i should know ?

Got the head off today & look what I saw...

2h2pcg0.jpg

no gasket between #3 & 4 & as i lifted the head off alot of water came rushing out from the back of the head.

Also noticed some of the passages were clogged with crud. Got all of them cleaned out & both surfaces [block & head] cleaned off & ready to accept the new gasket.

Steve ill try & remember to email you pix of the 4x4.

I was refering to a writeup somebody posted in the "engine" section saying the the cam lobes will point to 8 & 4 @ TDC compression.

After cycling the engine numerous times they never went to 8 & 4. Instead i ended up with 10 & 2 just like an L motor.

Im hoping thats gonna be ok. Oh & the wedge i made is half the size reccomended in the writeup.

Just making general observations...

Started putting it all back together today & i got to the point of putting the cam sprocket back on.

The issue im having is it's 1/2 away from the cam bolt lining up & when i pull UP on the sprocket & look down inside the cover i can see the tensioner & spring sliding back & forth.

I think that when i slid the wedge down it somehow pushed the tensioner out of position & now its now allowing the cam sprocket from raising up high enough.

I may try with a telescopic magnet to get the tensioner back in position or....ill have to pull the front of the motor.

All of this for a $25 part :unsure:

I did make the wedge with those dimensions. To me it seemed difficult to get it down inside the chain so i made it shorter. That was my fault & why the tensioner popped out. That means....time to remove the timing chain cover.

I now have ALL the bolts & parts off the timing cover & I cant get the cover to budge. Slowly losing my patience over here....am i missing something ?

If this were an L motor id be back on the road by now.

2eDeYe' date='10 January 2011 - 08:40 AM' timestamp='1294677611' post='406922']

The oil pan bolts to the bottom of the TC cover. Maybe those?

Thanx Steve i already removed those. Got the cover off today..ended up being a 10 mm behind the oil pump & 1 of the remaining 3 water pump bolts had to be removed. Id like to make a wedge made out of metal now that it's apart / before reassembly. Pix to come :rolleyes:

With help from a friend [bill] today we finally got most of the front put back on. Bill brought over a wedge that we cut down just a tad. I swear a wedge 6 1/2 inches long did'nt wanna work for me for whatever reason but this one did........

w0icnq.jpg

Should be able to finish tomorrow & fire her up.

Thanx Steve i already removed those. Got the cover off today..ended up being a 10 mm behind the oil pump & 1 of the remaining 3 water pump bolts had to be removed. Id like to make a wedge made out of metal now that it's apart / before reassembly. Pix to come :rolleyes:

ya it does help if you take all the bolts out....geez..lol