oil??

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this is Dylon btw and he hasnt swtched the webers i watched his take his off the pinto and put the new one back on the pinto his is black the new one is clean. that would be a nice thing of you to do to return him his crank and pistons and you have already taken plenty that was his you have taken the truck that you bought to replace his after you rearended him twice intentional you bsingle handed destroyed a good truck he loved that thing the it only has two dents that you didnt cause and thats the fender and king cab it had a few straight body panels and because of you it has none and a bent frame and you have taken the pinto that he worked hard to get up and running out in the cold and raiin as far as $160 goes i know nothing about that but i do know he spent a wad on the car that your driving and oh yeah he has the windshield out of his truck waiting for you to come pick it up beings you want it back because you bought it but that is a cold beings you busted it to start with but to each their own and what goes around comes around and your the one that is looking like the bad one here not him cause what does he have of yours and what has he done to you that is nonfiction versus what you have done to him and how you have treated him that is nonfiction hell he has never pulled a gun at you and shot at you but you did him a few times you have and are being really shitty to him and you said you loved him what a lie cause you dont do thinks like you have done to him if you love them and are honest

Damn! All that with only one capital letter and one punctuation mark. I'm out of breath just trying to read it. Awesome.

As for the oil; I have had good luck with "store brand" Valvoline. Baxters (in the NW) carries PartsMaster which is actually Valvoline. On the back of the bottle it says Ashland Oil, just like Valvoline does. One of my cars has had regular 3K changes with this for the last 180K (just under 200K total) and looks like brand new inside. No leaks, smoke or noises. But, this car has roller valve-train. Datsuns don't. Comp Cams recommends Shell Rotella (Autozone carries it) for flat tappet cam break-in because it has many of the additives most oils do not have any more. Delo 400 is supposed to be pretty good too. Diesel engine oils still have many of the additives that gasoline engine oils no longer have.

• Like 1

Diesel oils do have more ZZDP in them (but are dropping) however diesel oils are highly detergent. If you have an older motor and switch to diesel it will clean out the carbon, possibly some of the carbon on the piston tops and ring lands that actually helps seal in the compression.

Good point about the high mileage situation.

I will give this example for something a bit more fresh. Last year I bought a '79 Cutlass (Chevy 305) from my Grandpa who was the original owner. A life-long trucker, he used Delo 400 from day one because he bought it by the drum for his trucks. At 145K and 30 years old it still runs smooth, doesn't smoke or use oil at all. The VC gaskets are the only thing ever to leak (at 28 yrs). Most shockingly, though, the cam hasn't gone flat! You old guys probably remember how common that was for GM in those years. And you are correct about the detergent, it really was clean inside when I did the VC gaskets.

305 cams!!!! YES. While I was out of town, Mrs. datzen traded my '82 Omni for an '82 Grand Prix (good story) When I got home I tried to drive it but the cam was shot. I swapped an RV 350 cam and lifters in... anyway it looked like a broomstick. Several lobes were completely gone. Another time I took a friend's valve cover off and he fired it up. One of the exhaust valve rocker arms wasn't even moving!

This was a case of GM using cheap materials to save money... which would have been semi all right if owners had changed their oil regularily. Most new owners might, but later ones knew that GM made good reliable motors and so what if you went 5-8K miles? it got the oil changed eventually, and besides 'I always keep it topped up'. Yeah they USED to put good tough cams in them but figgured why spend the money on this as long as the oil gets changed.... which it didn't.

• 2 months later...

might i suggest amsoil....:rolleyes:

click here!

it out performs all name brand oils on the market and their filters do too!:cool:

dont take my word for it look on the site there are numerous independent studies .........;)

i went 28,000 miles on my last oil change....:oand yes that is not a typo 28,000 miles.....the stuff works.....that is why i started to use it , and that is why i started selling it...cause it does what it says it will. and saves money, and time, and wear/tear on the motor, and the environment, and lessens the dependency on foreign oil!

really there are no negatives to using it unless you have stock in foreign oil companies...lol

you can get a free catalog and check everything out on the site.....feel free to pm me with any questions....or call me!

rotella/mobil 1 synthetic.... amsoil sucks, I have had three of four circle track motors die of oil break down (happened to a few other people I know of as well) which led to several dead bearings, all filters except a few bypass the oil from the filter after 35psi, so it's only (if your lucky) filtering at idle. What a lab test shows and what happens on the road are very different, especially when the tests done by oil companies are done at ambient room temp, where as oil can see anywhere from 2-400 degree's in N/A applications. If your job is to sell something, then you will do whatever it takes to sell it, including misleading people who don't know better.....

For a rebuilt motor with all new stuff, I'd use Royal Purple. For an old motor with just fresh bearings/rings, just use some valvoline.

I'm running Royal Purple in my L20B in the 510, and I just switched to Royal Purple in the NX2000 also.

Using VR1 in the hardbody, but will probably change that to regular valvoline before too long. I still haven't compression checked the motor, but I think I may have to re-rebuild it with a shitload more compression. :( Or find a nice small diesel that fits in there. John Deere makes a kick ass 2.4l turbo diesel, of course I don't have the money for that!

might i suggest amsoil....:rolleyes:

click here!

it out performs all name brand oils on the market and their filters do too!:cool:

dont take my word for it look on the site there are numerous independent studies .........;)

i went 28,000 miles on my last oil change....:oand yes that is not a typo 28,000 miles.....the stuff works.....that is why i started to use it , and that is why i started selling it...cause it does what it says it will. and saves money, and time, and wear/tear on the motor, and the environment, and lessens the dependency on foreign oil!

really there are no negatives to using it unless you have stock in foreign oil companies...lol

you can get a free catalog and check everything out on the site.....feel free to pm me with any questions....or call me!

Dude, wtf is this horse garbage? I have no problems with Amsoil, have an uncle who uses it and his motor is fine so far. But seriously, the plug? C'mon, saves the environment? 28,000 mile oil changes? Technically you don't ever have to change the oil if you don't want to. It's still not good, thermal breakdown of the oil will occur at some point. And how does it lessen the dependency on foreign oil?! What, you only use one well in Texas for the base stock? No oil saves the environment. The only thing that saves the environment is WALKING!

I have 3000 miles on my new race motor in the 510 and the Royal Purple is doing great. I'm sure as shit not going to try for 28k miles though. It's as lazy as it is stupid.

this is Dylon btw and he hasnt swtched the webers i watched his take his off the pinto and put the new one back on the pinto his is black the new one is clean. that would be a nice thing of you to do to return him his crank and pistons and you have already taken plenty that was his you have taken the truck that you bought to replace his after you rearended him twice intentional you bsingle handed destroyed a good truck he loved that thing the it only has two dents that you didnt cause and thats the fender and king cab it had a few straight body panels and because of you it has none and a bent frame and you have taken the pinto that he worked hard to get up and running out in the cold and raiin as far as $160 goes i know nothing about that but i do know he spent a wad on the car that your driving and oh yeah he has the windshield out of his truck waiting for you to come pick it up beings you want it back because you bought it but that is a cold beings you busted it to start with but to each their own and what goes around comes around and your the one that is looking like the bad one here not him cause what does he have of yours and what has he done to you that is nonfiction versus what you have done to him and how you have treated him that is nonfiction hell he has never pulled a gun at you and shot at you but you did him a few times you have and are being really shitty to him and you said you loved him what a lie cause you dont do thinks like you have done to him if you love them and are honest

WHAT THE FUCK, WHERE'S THE PUNCTUATION!!!!!!!????????????? :frantics:

28k oil change? You aren't doing your motor any favors. Assuming you are adding a fresh quart every 1,500-2,000 miles to keep it full don't forget the other 3 quarts are old, and up to 28K miles on it and mostly diluted/contaminated with dissolved carbon and combustion by products, fuel and water. No filter removes that stuff. Within a few thousand miles the oil begins to darken with carbon, that's why there is a oil change schedule. Even though I think it's a good product, I don't think there is anything in the Amsoil literature that says to ignore the usual oil change interval. Your motor has missed a minimum 6 changes with filter. More, if the oil was dirty sooner than the recommended interval.

28k oil change? You aren't doing your motor any favors. Assuming you are adding a fresh quart every 1,500-2,000 miles to keep it full don't forget the other 3 quarts are old, and up to 28K miles on it and mostly diluted/contaminated with dissolved carbon and combustion by products, fuel and water. No filter removes that stuff. Within a few thousand miles the oil begins to darken with carbon, that's why there is a oil change schedule. Even though I think it's a good product, I don't think there is anything in the Amsoil literature that says to ignore the usual oil change interval. Your motor has missed a minimum 6 changes with filter. More, if the oil was dirty sooner than the recommended interval.

If you're adding a quart every 1500-2000 miles then your motor has bigger problems. My 224k mile honduh doesn't even use that much and it leaks!

Actually, the higher the compression, the more the motor will eat oil. However, the next motor I build will have some Total Seal overlapped gapless rings, those are the cat's meow! Regardless, anything you race or even autocross hard, will eat some oil. My Miata used to use about a 1/4 quart during extended autocrosses. During regular driving, it didn't use any, just when banging around 7k rpm all the time, it tends to throw a little past the rings.

The 510 seems to be pretty good on not eating oil, it's only needed less than a 1/4 of a quart after severe beatings, but then it's also only 3000 miles old.

Isnt something like that to be handled in a PM? I want my two minutes back and an asprin.

Now as far as the oil, I use Castrol and Valvoline, and I dont care about how clean it looks, the oil and filter gets changed every 3K, period.

Motor, motor,,,

Probably gonna eat it on this one, but dang it, motors are electric. Engines are internal combustion. I said "motor" around an old school engine builder years ago and the old codger about took my freakin' head off, ripped me a new one and never unclenched the ciggie 'tween his teeth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor

On topic, Castrol GTX, or Valvoline. PENNZOIL SUCKS.

:D

Motor, motor,,,

Probably gonna eat it on this one, but dang it, motors are electric. Engines are internal combustion. I said "motor" around an old school engine builder years ago and the old codger about took my freakin' head off, ripped me a new one and never unclenched the ciggie 'tween his teeth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor

On topic, Castrol GTX, or Valvoline. PENNZOIL SUCKS.

:D

HaHa! Very true! :D