oil??

ok fellas, i'd like an opinion please. i've always used castrol syntec or high milege in all my cars/trucks/suvs. i like it but since i'm getting ready to run this z24 i was wondering what oils u like. i'm really loving this truck already and i do wanna pamper it and take good care of it. someone told me once that u cant find a datsun, the datsun finds u. i believe that now.

• Like 2
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like asking what tire should I run, or what kinda woman you like. Plenty of opinions, many of them justified. Personally, if the engine is fresh, run a synthetic and still change it every 5k or 10k miles. Which synthetic? Again, lots of fans for Royal Purple, Amzoil, Mobil-1, Castrol, ad nauseum.

I always run cheap Walmart oil, but with a good filter. To me keeping it clean while its in there and changing it regularly are more important than what bullshit additives they put on the label and upcharge me for.

My boss has almost 450K on his 89 Ram, all on generic oil changed every 3K. It's never even had the valve covers off of it.

valvoline cause its clean and clear and keeps your engine clean. if you change like you should it will come out still looking good. the biggest factor in engine life is the filter DO NOT use Fram they are bad best to use a Wix or factory filter the purolators are good in a pinch.

Second that ! Valvoline has always kept my engines very clean , but again there are a lot of good motor oils. Your probably going to put in what you think is best anyways , so just regular change intervals ( for me no more than 3,000 miles or 3 months since acid/fuel/etc... breaks down the oil ) with a good filter. I have used castrol syntec too , and never had a problem ! But none of that 1,000,000 mile change B.S :frantics: :rofl:

i'm not gonna rebuild just yet. my main goal is getting my little beast put together. i wanna get an engine to rebuild but run this z24 til i do. i'm chtting with king rat and exploring my options on motors and torque. i'm only used to the l series from my soon to be ex husband running them in his truck. i love the power he has with it. from what i'm learning thus far, a z block with a l head maybe my best route for a rebuild. very exciting concept.

but anyway this engine i'm putting in isn't rebuilt. its been run very hard for at least a year. its still a datsun(nissan) though so i have great expectations for it....

• Like 1

i'm not gonna rebuild just yet. my main goal is getting my little beast put together. i wanna get an engine to rebuild but run this z24 til i do. i'm chtting with king rat and exploring my options on motors and torque. i'm only used to the l series from my soon to be ex husband running them in his truck. i love the power he has with it. from what i'm learning thus far, a z block with a l head maybe my best route for a rebuild. very exciting concept.

but anyway this engine i'm putting in isn't rebuilt. its been run very hard for at least a year. its still a datsun(nissan) though so i have great expectations for it....

building a LZhybrd is more involved than just slapping a Lseries on a z series block. more so if your useing a Z24, putting a L head on a Z24 is not for your average builder first the timing chain has to be what you would say custom made due to the Z24 being the tallest block and thus the front timeing cover will have to be custom also then you will have to piece two headgaskets together the Z24 headgasket with the front most part of a L series gasket and putting a p-nut head may give too much compression and not be able to run pump gas and may have troubles with blowing headgaskets and overheating. good luck in your build just do some reasearch

... someone told me once that u cant find a datsun, the datsun finds u. i believe that now.

Just like Mescalito.

Basically any oil will do if changed at least regularly or oftener if dirty. Always change with a good quality filter. Better more expensive oil buys peace of mind. If you can afford more peace of mind go for it.

Synthetic oils are best used in newer tighter tolerance motors of today. When used in older 'looser' or worn motors it is so slippery it will squeeze past old seals and gaskets that ordinary oils won't. I put semi synthetic lubes in my tranny, transfer case and rear end. Within weeks they were wet. A new tranny rear seal, trans case input seal and rear pinion seal fixed it. Just saying that changing over to synthetic may show up later as leaky oil pan gasket or whatever. If you have a wet gasket now it will only get wetter with synthetic. If you have an oil burner don't waste your money on $10 a quart synthetic. If you have a fresh motor that is properly broken in with new gaskets there's no reason not to try it.

• Like 1

hmmm. u r right. but i have his crank and grill ready to take back to him. i dont wanna take nothing thats his. i should since he stole $160 from me and switched out my 34/34 weber for his.... among other things. but i'm living life and letting bygones be bygones and i wish him :thumbup: goodluck and happy trails....

Just like Mescalito.

Basically any oil will do if changed at least regularly or oftener if dirty. Always change with a good quality filter. Better more expensive oil buys peace of mind. If you can afford more peace of mind go for it.

Synthetic oils are best used in newer tighter tolerance motors of today. When used in older 'looser' or worn motors it is so slippery it will squeeze past old seals and gaskets that ordinary oils won't. I put semi synthetic lubes in my tranny, transfer case and rear end. Within weeks they were wet. A new tranny rear seal, trans case input seal and rear pinion seal fixed it. Just saying that changing over to synthetic may show up later as leaky oil pan gasket or whatever. If you have a wet gasket now it will only get wetter with synthetic. If you have an oil burner don't waste your money on $10 a quart synthetic. If you have a fresh motor that is properly broken in with new gaskets there's no reason not to try it.

:thumbup: i'm listening, king rat!

• Like 1

hmmm. u r right. but i have his crank and grill ready to take back to him. i dont wanna take nothing thats his. i should since he stole $160 from me and switched out my 34/34 weber for his.... among other things. but i'm living life and letting bygones be bygones and i wish him thumbup.gif goodluck and happy trails....

this is Dylon btw and he hasnt swtched the webers i watched his take his off the pinto and put the new one back on the pinto his is black the new one is clean. that would be a nice thing of you to do to return him his crank and pistons and you have already taken plenty that was his you have taken the truck that you bought to replace his after you rearended him twice intentional you bsingle handed destroyed a good truck he loved that thing the it only has two dents that you didnt cause and thats the fender and king cab it had a few straight body panels and because of you it has none and a bent frame and you have taken the pinto that he worked hard to get up and running out in the cold and raiin as far as $160 goes i know nothing about that but i do know he spent a wad on the car that your driving and oh yeah he has the windshield out of his truck waiting for you to come pick it up beings you want it back because you bought it but that is a cold beings you busted it to start with but to each their own and what goes around comes around and your the one that is looking like the bad one here not him cause what does he have of yours and what has he done to you that is nonfiction versus what you have done to him and how you have treated him that is nonfiction hell he has never pulled a gun at you and shot at you but you did him a few times you have and are being really shitty to him and you said you loved him what a lie cause you dont do thinks like you have done to him if you love them and are honest

this is Dylon btw and he hasnt swtched the webers i watched his take his off the pinto and put the new one back on the pinto his is black the new one is clean. that would be a nice thing of you to do to return him his crank and pistons and you have already taken plenty that was his you have taken the truck that you bought to replace his after you rearended him twice intentional and you have taken the pinto that he worked hard to get up and running out in the cold and raiin as far as $160 goes i know nothing about that but i do know he spent a wad on the car that your driving and oh yeah he has the windshield out of his truck waiting for you to come pick it up beings you want it back because you bought it but that is a cold beings you busted it to start with but to each their own and what goes around comes around and your the one that is looking like the bad one here not him cause what does he have of yours and what has he done to you that is nonfiction versus what you have done to him and how you have treated him that is nonfiction hell he has never pulled a gun at you and shot at you but you did him a few times

really?? interesting. i'm glad u know all these things. and btw, budman, all knowing debra knows dylon don't drink.

• Like 1