My 73 620-T

Fineline

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not even going to get into the weather with you NW guys. You guys have been getting hammered!

The other day the rain just kept comming and it was around 52 degrees. Man that sucked!:lol:

Any lessons learned or things you would do differently on the EFI and Turbo swap?

The EFI and turbo have been great with no major snags along the way. The biggest headache was in the initial setup of the MS. Tony (521lvr) saved my ass. There are almost too many choices and the website is pretty vague. I would just advise guys to take your time and do it right. Electronics are tough enough but if your chasing gremlins it will be a bigger headache. If you do end up with some stop and fix them or things will only get worst.

Its not something thats going to happen overnight. Especially the tuning. Go slow especially with forced induction. Drive it a little, log, tune, drive some more, log some more, tune some more.......you get the picture.

The relay board is a blessing and definately worth the extra $. It really makes wiring in things like an electric fuel pump, the injectors, fan, etc easy. It makes the wiring clean and simple.

I also wired a second main circuit with another blade type fuse block for the power. I didnt want to rely on 30+ year old wiring. It gave me power to things like the ECU, guages, wideband, EDIS.

• 2 weeks later...

Damn! Apparantly there was a little more damage from being rear ended than I thought. It developed an intermitant problem where the main relay would just cut out. I thought one of the solders on the socket broke so I pulled the box today to find this. Crap. Oh well. $65 and a few hours it will be down the road. I thought about soldering a wire jumper but figured its only $65. No sense in grtting stranded for that much.

accident001-1.jpg

For those of you contemplating this and NOT using a relay board think about the damage this would have done to the ECU!

So i read through your build and first off the motor looks awesome! Im building a L20 stroker right now and am having trouble finding the right ARP head bolts Its a L20 Block with A87 peanut head Do you have the part number for the ARP Engine stuff you used?

My 2 cents.....solder in the jumpers now and get it back online...make sure it all works right....build the $65 board as time permits. I think I'd just stick with the jumpers....you can put in a small (22ga?) wire and still have more current capacity and less resistance than the copper run. Keep the one with the jumpers as a back up in case you blow the runs on the new board :)

So i read through your build and first off the motor looks awesome! Im building a L20 stroker right now and am having trouble finding the right ARP head bolts Its a L20 Block with A87 peanut head Do you have the part number for the ARP Engine stuff you used?

ARP P/N# 202-4201. Theres a set on e-bay right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ARP-Head-Studs-Nissan-Datsun-L20-Series-202-4201_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el1116QQitemZ380094936293QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

My 2 cents.....solder in the jumpers now and get it back online...make sure it all works right....build the $65 board as time permits. I think I'd just stick with the jumpers....you can put in a small (22ga?) wire and still have more current capacity and less resistance than the copper run. Keep the one with the jumpers as a back up in case you blow the runs on the new board :)

I thought about it and would probably work fine. I may try it today. This is on the ground side of things. I thought I got lucky when my battery mount broke and only fried some of the wires but I guess not. As far as having a spare if I fry this again I quit. THis shouldent have happened in the first place.

Fineline I have that relay box if you want it, I decided to go a different route.

Sweet. P/M sent! Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

OK. A big thanks to Jeff for the relay board. Its back on the road for a little more tuning.

Clayton, whens the dyno day?

Thanks again Jeff. Your a lifesaver!

Ok Ok. There I was the other day at the J/Y and low and behold there sitting in the picked over carcass of a Corvair are these two struts. I couldent tell you what they came out of only that their dimensions are 8.25" closed and 11.50" open. They work great and no more hood prop rod.

(although some of you are WAY to observant..........Red you know who you are!)

hoodstruts002.jpg

hoodstruts001.jpg

I have a Kit like this on My PT cruiser. bought it online from a place that sells mostly PT stuff. No bent hood for me. When I finally get a 620 i'll be doing the same mod to it.

OK. A big thanks to Jeff for the relay board. Its back on the road for a little more tuning.

Clayton, whens the dyno day?

Thanks again Jeff. Your a lifesaver!

No problem dude :D Anything to help a Ratsun bro out :D

Ok Ok. There I was the other day at the J/Y and low and behold there sitting in the picked over carcass of a Corvair are these two struts. I couldent tell you what they came out of only that their dimensions are 8.25" closed and 11.50" open. They work great and no more hood prop rod.

(although some of you are WAY to observant..........Red you know who you are!)

hoodstruts002.jpg

hoodstruts001.jpg

you didn't have any problems with the hood bending?

I did the same mod but, when I shut my hood it bends. lol I think the struts I have are to stiff.

Edited by ariascarlos1990