My 73 620-T

Fineline

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I, for one, think it's time for an updated butnout video. :D

Damn. That means I have to put the cheap 14" tires back on as not to burn through a pricy set of the 18's

I wonder how many gears I can get it through? I hit two without even giving it much effort in that video!

• Like 1
i'd like to see some 1/4 mile runs an possibly some dyno runs too, now i know that cost money so i dont expect it.. but it would still be cool :P

I guess a dyno run is in order. I will get with Clayton and see what we can do.

I think Banzai had the 175hp #. Any other guesses?

• Like 1

well lets think about this just a bit Lisas car made 155 whp and its NA 2.2lz Brandons truck is also a 2.2 and he is running 10-14 pounds of boost and is way more efficient with the FI set up I am going to say 215-220 whp with a bit of tuning and port work to the head I think more. A friend of mine down here Mark Nuenke (http://turbohightechperformance.automotive.com/115911/0105-turp-datsun-510-bluebird/index.html)

he made 300whp at 18-20 psi

Clayton

Edited by 69FJWagon
  • Like 1

It runs once again! I just ran it through it warm-up cycle and its just like I remember. I had to re-make one of the turbo coolant pipes but no biggie.

The victory is short lived though. Im am once again at that point where I have to go get the kids from school. Back at it tomorrow for the test drive!

• Like 1
Can you make an abbreviated list of the things done to this L22 to date. Also what boost number are you going to run on the dyno?

So far as I remember.

Engine:

*L20b block bored to 87mm o-ringed with ARP head studs

*Z-22 crank

*L20b con rods with resized little end to 22mm bronze bushed for floating pins and ARP bolts

*sr20det Wiseco forged pistons with moly rings

*ARP main studs

*copper head gasket

Head:

*W58 peanut with liners removed (43cc chamber)

*Stainless valves with oversized intake

*Slight port/polish (Very slight. Mostly polish)

* Schneider cam .424 lift 112 Lobe separation

Turbo:

*Garrett gt28r ball bearing running 12 lbs. of boost

*3" exhaust with magnaflow muffler

Misc:

*60mm 240sx TB

*460cc/hr injectors

*Megasquirt ECU

*EDIS ignition

• Like 1

OK 2.2 at 12 lbs. I calculate a min of 203.5hp. This is based on a L20B making 100hp stock. A 2.2 should easily make 10 more hp just from displacement. The turbo is ramming about 85% more air in so... 203.5hp. The Schnider cam's 0.424" lift does not sound too radical (0.413" is stock) a perfect turbo cam does not have too much overlap. Also with this lift there is less likelihood of valve float at 6K plus. IC??? I would guess this motor to make around 115-120 hp without the turbo so I'll go with 222hp even with 12 lbs boost at somewhere just over 6,500. I'm not using any type of on line hp calculator.

Won't hurt my feelings if you go higher. :D

Edited by datzenmike
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Mike will correct me if im wrong here and please feel free to do so. The z-22 crank is just that. It has a longer stroke (89mm l20 vs. 92mm z-22? Off the top of my head I dont remember) and with the 2mm overbore gives me a 2.2L instead of a 2.0L.

"Theres no replacement for displacement"

Unless your boosting in which case its nice to have both!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

The alternator bracket for the 36-1 wheel? Maybe for the sensor but I am talking about the sprocket that attaches to the crank pulley did u weld it or have it pressed on or ? Whats the procedure? This is the next step I am taking in my build as I feel it will be the most beneficial!

• Like 1

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=153254&highlight=edis+mounting

I would send some pics of your front cover and dampner and see what it would take for fitment.

This is fitment of the EDIS wheel on my car, but I am using an ATI dampner so fitment will be different

ediswheel.jpg

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=103781&highlight=edis+mounting

http://www.msruns.com/viewtopic.php?f=95&t=22502

• Like 1
OK. A big thanks to Jeff for the relay board. Its back on the road for a little more tuning.

Clayton, whens the dyno day?

Thanks again Jeff. Your a lifesaver!

No problem dude :D Anything to help a Ratsun bro out :D

I was just reading this thread. Nice truck. And damn, what a nice guy Jeff was for having given you that board!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Fineline, I just finished reading your build, and I'm impressed! Wish you were closer, so I could take a ride in your L22 monster. I would like to help with any worries about your engine holding up to the boost. I purchased a 79 KC new in 79 that was converted to a 4X4 by a company in Kelso WA. After 1 weekend of driveing around OR to have some fun and make sure there were no problems, I hauled it to LA, to have a turbo put on by the father of turbo conversions Ak Miller. It was a draw through useing a Holley/Weber (Ak was a Ford guy) using water injection (a Ford windshield washer tank and pump sprayed through a small carb jet in the air cleaner top) and a manual boost control. It was pretty crude by todays standards, but state of the art back then. The water injection was trigered at 5psi boost and I ran it at 8 to 9 psi normally. If I was playing with someone, I would crank it up to 15 psi for short bursts, to prove a point. I owned it and ran it this way for 4 years, and the only problem I had with it was the original weld on the turbo flange to the stock exhaust manifold (done by Ak's son) had to be rewelded at a local turbo shop in Denver. All the internals of the L20B were compleatly stock! So as long as your engine doesn't run lean, you should have many years of trouble free fun, as long as no more dumbies rear end you, that is.:thumbup: Keep up the infomative posts, and a little more info on the Power Brute install would be nice. Also how much did it cost? After I get my KC in shape, but before it goes from primer to finished paint I have a KA24DE that I plan on droping in, then turboing. I would like to do a L series like you did, but I think a KA is a better choice concidering my finances. The KA is already EFI, has piston oilers, head has much more potential for air flow, and has inexpensive basic turbo kits available. Unfortunatly It is going to take a while, as I don't have much money to spare, and will be out of commision for aroun 3 months in about 2 weeks for back surgery. That is why I'm trying to get as many parts as I can collected for restoring my KC. I'm trying to get as much done as I can before I go to the hospital.

I've got a story for you about my 79 4X4 turbo, I used to be an over the road trucker, and my time at home was limited. I was running erands and had gon to Boulder for some reason, then I was headed to Denver to pickup parts for my Kenworth. I was running out of time, so I was doing around 70 (remember back then we were stuck with the National 55 mph limit) and was passing a mid 70s red Corvette, they were nothing much Then, but still one of the hottest late models you could buy at the time. When he saw he was being passed by a Jap pickup, he nailed it! One of my pet peves is someone speeding up when I am trying to pass, so I reached down and cranked the boost to 15 and put the pedal to the metal. After I pulled him 3 car lengths to 100, I let off, figuring he'd been educated. He folloed me all the way to Colorado Kenworth to ask what kind of V8 I had in it. After opening the hood and showing him the L20B, he was ready to take his vette to the junk yard. I will never forget the look on his face when he saw he had been beat by a 4 cylinder!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...