My Birthday Present?

qwik510

I don't know how to stop the obsession. I keep telling myself I have enough cars. I just can't say no. I have a real problem. LOL!

Not sure what my plans are for it but another 510 has made its way into my stable just in time for my Birthday today.

1969 4 door- All original, stock, unmolested car. Only 2 previous owners. Has the B/W automatic trans with a column shifter. Speedo shows 53,000 miles but the original owner said the speedo broke at 35,000 miles and was replaced with a new one. So that makes it less then 90,000 miles on it. Cactus green with a black interior.

IMG00008-20091107-1526.jpg

IMG00006-20091107-1526.jpg

IMG00005-20091107-1525.jpg

IMG00013-20091107-1528.jpg

IMG00012-20091107-1528.jpg

IMG00009-20091107-1527.jpg

IMG00010-20091107-1528.jpg

IMG00017-20091107-1532.jpg

IMG00016-20091107-1532.jpg

IMG00020-20091107-1533.jpg

IMG00019-20091107-1533.jpg

Lots more pics are here:

http://datsun510.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=3651

It might end up being a father/son project. If my son shows enough interest.

Keep it stock?

Install the nice L20B and dogleg I have sitting?

KA24 swap?

SR20DE swap?

These are just some of the thoughts in my head. Any ideas or suggestions?

For now, I need to find a place to store it inside for the winter and get moving on my 2 door VG swap.

Enjoy the Ride!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rockin dime man!!! So clean! What is more amazing is that you are on the east coast and have this many dimes. They are so rare over here!

I vote for keeping this one stock too since you have the others to play with, and they are so rare over here! But I'd be just as tempted as you to mod it!

Thanks for the Bday wishes and the opinions. So for now, most everyone is suggesting that the car stay stock. I guess I should lean towards that. Stock is soooooooooooo Boring though. My blue 2 door was stock for the first 3 years I owned it. It was cool to drive it that way but it got old fast.

Time will tell. Maybe I should not buy stock dimes. I always want to modifiy them. Maybe I should just sell it to someone that wants to keep it stock. Problem is they will tell you they want to keep it stock and then modify it anyway. Look at Ms. Dottie.

yeah tough call but if you mod it nice that is fine. hell it is your car. do what you want. I guess most mod 510's as they are used to seeing that. Datsuns have a good racing heritage and most are used to seeing the old school race car look

SWEET dime!!! only because it is so clean and they are becoming rare, I would say stock...BUT, unless you plan on donating it to a museum or something...mild mods wouldn't be bad, but hey, it's your car!!! :lol:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Nah your right, I didn't see it, but if it was in *really* nice original shape I probably would have said the same back then too. Don't get me wrong, I have an extremely modified 510, box flares, VG30, and about the only thing left stock are the windows. Years ago mine had been in an accident, hence the decision to do the major modifications. I *also* have an original 4dr, picked it up from the family who owned it since 75, came with all the documentation too. It's a little rough, but I'm going to restore it and leave it original. To me, personally, it's sad to see one like Qwik's survive for so long in it's original state, only to be modified, when the originals are so rare nowadays.

With all that said, if someone *still* wants to modify it, at least keep the mods to things that can be easily reversed, and save all the original parts. I have a 280ZX turbo that I bought a few years ago, in 100% original condition, aside from having a repaint (in original color) and the interior redone (in factory colors). I have added an intercooler, 300ZX efi, and a few other things under the hood, but externally it's 100% stock, and the interior is 100% stock, and it'll stay that way. I have also saved every single nut, bolt, and piece, in the event that I, or the next owner, wants to return it to stock. So I can see all sides of the argument.

I say mod it! Stock is so so so so boring! Who cares if it's the last stocker, to me there is a reason for that. I personally love the stock hub caps so on my car I'm going to run them for a while again. Just switching from stock wheels tires to some upgraded rubber adds so much driving enjoyment into the car. I vote do what you want, if it requires cutting the core support out for a intercool I say DO IT! :D

I have also saved every single nut, bolt, and piece, in the event that I, or the next owner, wants to return it to stock.

That's the right idea. I have saved every original part that I have had to change out on my RL411 since the day I bought it and refurbished and saved them with the exception of the YUASA battery. The original water pump is unobtainium as is the radio delete plate and original Nissan marked spark plug wire set and firewall mounted spritzer bottle. In about a day I could return the car to the condition it was in when I drove it off the lot. I always figured that DATSUN USA might be interested in it, but now with the exception of the new museum out it the Temecula area, I guess I am the only one who would care about original condition.