620 vg conversion

yello620

No, not really. Will be buying all the stuff for the fuel system next month. I am moving so i kinda want to get this project wrapped up. But i might just get rid of the donor truck now that i know it all fits like i want it too. Ohh, i am going to have an aluminum radiator built too.

• Like 1
  • Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, not sure if this is progress or not, but a few new things to share.

I found a guy on florida selling 200sx VG parts, i got the upper intake manifold and the exhaust manifold from him. The intake fits incredible well and looks better in my opinion, excellent hood clearance now. And a quick test fit of the exhaust manifolds show that they look really good so far. They are going in the sand blaster tomorrow to get cleaned up/degreased, then i will get a closer look at them.

Thinking about getting the intake manifold cover powder coated a very bright red, thoughts?

Here are a few pics for the needy. :thumbup:

P1190152.jpg

P1190153.jpg

P1190154.jpg

• Like 1
2eDeYe' date='20 January 2011 - 08:31 AM' timestamp='1295541100' post='413414']

Would it be easier to just use the 200SX VG to start with?

It is starting to look that way, but there is no info out there about swapping a VG into a truck, so i have had to buy a lot of parts that probably will not get used.

Slow progress, but i have not given up.

I sand blasted the exhaust manifolds and the intake plenum cover today. Plenum cover will get powder coated soon.

• Like 1

More progress. :D I spent a little time and started making an alternator mount since none of the factory mounts that i have found will make the alternator clear the idler arm with enough clearance. I moved the alternator up about 1.25" and started measuring. This is a 90 amp Alt from a Pathfinder. Got the belts to line up pretty good, still need a little work. And i need to build an upper adjustment mount. Undecided on how i am going to do this so far. It is pretty tight in there.

A few pics.

P1250157.jpg

P1250162.jpg

P1250158.jpg

P1250159.jpg

P1250161.jpg

As you can see in a couple of those photos, the radiator lower inlet is going straight into the alternator, so that will need reworked too.

I also sand blasted the plenum cover and i think that i like it, might not get it powder coated red.

P1250160.jpg

Opinions on the plenum cover?

• Like 1

Lookin' good man. Gonna be nice to see this thing alive.

As far as the plenum color, I'd go for yellow on the raised sections, and leave the lower areas aluminum(or visa versa). It'd look nice under your hood. Polished or just blasted on the rest. Either one would look good, but I'd probably go for the dull aluminum grey personally.

Kinda like this:

RafaelPhotos017.jpg

• Like 1

Nice alternator bracket! Is it torch-heated and bent 1/4 steel plate? The OE bracketry is definitely heavy-duty! The OE alt bracket is cast, IIRC. With the L-series, anyone who tried a light-duty alternator mount (in the common ZX IR upgrade) faced failure soon enough!

Can I politely request that you run a few lightening hole-saws through that bracket? It's easier than doing such work myself! HA!

Nice work! I like the 200sx covers with a crackle-black finish and then the high points (fins) surface ground back to alu. But that yellow scheme is pretty nifty too!

• Like 1

Nice alternator bracket! Is it torch-heated and bent 1/4 steel plate? The OE bracketry is definitely heavy-duty! The OE alt bracket is cast, IIRC.

Can I politely request that you run a few lightening hole-saws through that bracket? It's easier than doing such work myself! HA!

That bracket is actually 3/8", and the bend was done at the steel shop with the same machine that does the sheering. Was not going to mess around with strength on this.

But a few appearance holes might be doable, even though once installed, it can barely be seen.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

No, not really.

I purchased a few parts while i had a few dollars and no time, so i am hoping that when i have time i can make progress.

I did get the alternator bracket set into place, it has a belt on it now too. It did create the need to make a custom upper water neck at the thermostat(not done yet). But i will be looking at a few other VG motors to see if they have parts that will create the clearance that i need.

Wiring should be easy. Need a fuel system still, probably need to install bigger lines too.

• Like 1

Hey Yello620

Why can't you put the Alternator on the drivers side ? , from your pics it looks like there is room , this would free up your rad hose problem and remove the last pully on the crank and give you more room, use the 300Zx bracket, it bolts on both side of the block.

if the steering box or tube is in the way you could try moving your Alt back and run the belt behind the lower rad hose.

I added power steering and needed room too so I swapped my Alt to the other side , Supercharged VG30 powered 720

I hope this helps

Fast720

IMG_7262.jpg

IMG_7520.jpg

IMG_7521.jpg

• Like 1