620 vg conversion

yello620

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't realize the m-30 mounted the starter on the bellhousing like the z32's. I thought it was traditional style like the z31's and pickups. The bellhousing will just unbolt off a z31 3n71b or 4n71b auto and should transfer over over to a newer RE040A like your M30 has. They're all an 8 bolt pattern but I don't know for sure if the pump case diameter is the same. Tigard pick n pull has two z31's right now ones a turbo 4n71b and the others an n/a 3n71b. I would go pull the bell housing off one of those cars and give it a shot. I have a z32 auto bell but I am positive its going to offer you the same problem your having now.

• Like 1

Ya, i know about the two z31's at tigard. Not really looking forward to doing that work in the junkyard. I already pulled the engine oil pan from the non-turbo z31. That sucked. Front crossmember has to come out and the motor is attached to the crossmember.

Was the motor still hanging from a chain and a driveline when you saw it?

• Like 1
I was able to put a VG in my 320 with the hood close. I fab,ed my own engine mount brackets and 510 engine mount.

Would like to see pics of this.. Did it get finished to a driving truck? Which intake did you use and do you have pics of the oil pan? Which transmission?

Pics or it didn't happen:D

• Like 1

Worked on this a little more this evening. Mounted the VG engine rubbers to the 620 frame, just need to build a mount to go between the rubber and the motor.

I also made a cardboard template of the oil pan profile for steering and crossmember clearance. This template shows where the crossmember and steering link will be at. Template is made to have approximately 1/2" clearance to the steering link and the crossmember. This design will be super easy to build. It will be combining the upper half of a Z31 pan and the lower half of a M30 pan. With all mods taking place below the factory installed baffling. However the oil pickup tube will also need shortened about 7/8". Capacity appears that it will be about 1/2 qt. more than the stock Z31 pan.

oilpan001.jpg

This is the same template with a small bit added to the lower part of the pan for more oil capacity. However this addition would be a lot more work, and only increase the capacity about 3/4 qt. and it would hang way to close to the ground, but above a stock L series though.

oilpan002.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Little bit of progress today.:D Picked up another starter to try today, and this one looks like it will clear much better. Might have to shift the motor to the left about 1/4" to make the clearance a little happier. and i found a picture of another starter online that i will be going to the parts store to look at. It looks like it would have a even more clearance.

So now i need to get my hands on a z31 bellhousing and attempt to see if it will fit the m30 trans.;)

• Like 1
Little bit of progress today.:D Picked up another starter to try today, and this one looks like it will clear much better. Might have to shift the motor to the left about 1/4" to make the clearance a little happier. and i found a picture of another starter online that i will be going to the parts store to look at. It looks like it would have a even more clearance.

So now i need to get my hands on a z31 bellhousing and attempt to see if it will fit the m30 trans.;)

Not sure how your starter interfere with your truck.

FYI, I've just compared the VG30E and VG33E starter a week ago, the VG33E starter is a bit skinnier and the starter solenoid is about at 11 o'clock position (you are facing the front of the engine). And the VG30E starter solenoid is around 9:30-10:00 o'clock position.

• Like 1
Not sure how your starter interfere with your truck.

FYI, I've just compared the VG30E and VG33E starter a week ago, the VG33E starter is a bit skinnier and the starter solenoid is about at 11 o'clock position (you are facing the front of the engine). And the VG30E starter solenoid is around 9:30-10:00 o'clock position.

There are actually two different VG33 starter, those are the ones that i plan to look at at the parts store soon. That little difference in how it is "clocked" just might make all the difference.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

It's freaking cold outside.:mad: So ia have been spending my outside time working on customer cars and then heading inside to warm up, but my wife found a smoking deal this evening on a propane torpedo heater. So that will get fired up tomorrow to see how it works, to bad i have a lot of work to do on another customer car.

I did find a starter that clears everything really well so far. Best fit yet. I still need to find a Z31 bellhousing though.

Carlos, thanks for the offer, i am going to check to see if it might work.

• Like 1
It's freaking cold outside.:mad: So ia have been spending my outside time working on customer cars and then heading inside to warm up, but my wife found a smoking deal this evening on a propane torpedo heater. So that will get fired up tomorrow to see how it works, to bad i have a lot of work to do on another customer car.

I did find a starter that clears everything really well so far. Best fit yet. I still need to find a Z31 bellhousing though.

Carlos, thanks for the offer, i am going to check to see if it might work.

You back to work? Or self employed now?

• Like 1
do you have a garage? if so that heater will be handy as hell man

Yes garage, but too big to heat with a little torpedo heater, hoping it will warm a small work area for me. Garage is 35w x 40 deep.:D

You back to work? Or self employed now?

No, not back to work yet. Not not self employed yet, might end up that way though.

• Like 1
Yes garage, but too big to heat with a little torpedo heater, hoping it will warm a small work area for me. Garage is 35w x 40 deep.:D

No, not back to work yet. Not not self employed yet, might end up that way though.

Sweet, open your own business. I am looking for work :lol:

only a few classes left this semester for welding, after this i might take auto for a year, or just do one more semester of welding on mig/tig alum/stainless and throw that on the resume.

• Like 1