KA-Kait's 2dr. First Time Dime.

KA-Kait

Hahaha No. No progress has been made, simply because I need two new front wheels. I'm going to run out to pick n pull this week and see if they have a set that will work for me. So unfortunately until it's back sitting on the ground, I can't put the motor in, which is unfortunate. The alternator is on the engine, so the engine is ... well set to go in. *sigh* don't remind me how close it is to being finished.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wheels, wheels?...I have lots o Datsun fitting wheels. If any of you are or know of anyone near Sunnyvale that can pick them up for you I can let you borrow some. The key word here is BORROW...not have :P

Our engine hoist goes up just enough to barely clear an oil pan over the core support... So it's either remove the top of the core support to push the motor in, OR get the car back on its wheels!

She's picking up some stock 210 wheels with tires on them that we can use for now, at least, and we'll keep them around since a spare or two is always a good thing... Can't argue with a full set for $30!

You're welcome again, Kait...

• 2 weeks later...

So then engine went in finally! Taken enough time right? the engine went in fairly easy. it was a bitch and a half to put on the motor mounts but it went in. woohoo

IMG00342-20091219-1141.jpg

IMG00340-20091219-1132.jpg

although apparently i didn't tighten the shaft collars up enough because as soon as i was set off the jackstands the fucking thing hit the ground, and quickly.

IMG00339-20091219-1029.jpg

IMG00337-20091219-1020.jpg

which was actually pretty cool that it went that low. super rake. amusing, yet not practical. -sigh-

IMG00341-20091219-1132.jpg

heres my little helper. My baby cousin Nathan, isn't he cute!! >.<

Gotta Love the Dimes ! Do yourself a favor , drive back to the parts store and throw those Autolite plugs through their window and nab some NGK Brand Plugs!!! ( Last 240z I owned would run like crap past 3,200 rpm , and recent 240z I bought had the same problem since previous owner put in Autolite's :blink: erratic driveability after NGK plugs installed problems solved again , but if they work use em:thumbup:

i think they said earlier it was just for the start up so they weren't fouling good plugs?

opps !:blush::blink: , that's what happens when I skip a page in a thread :rollseyes: , alright thanks for being gentle 72240z :lol: ,

Alright , let the bashing begin :lol: I deserve a smart#%^ comment for that one I said earlier :lol:

SORRY about that KA-KAIT ,Your dime Looks Sweet though ( It's amazing I tie my own shoes :drool::poop::sleep: )

DTP

Guest DatsuNoob

I made the mistake of fouling up good plugs trying to start up my old L20. I remember not being able to get it going, timing/dizzy was set, new wires, NGK plugs, cap, rotor, new weber, etc. Hainz brought some shitty half used autolites over and it fired right up :lol: Looking good too btw.

I made the mistake of fouling up good plugs trying to start up my old L20. I remember not being able to get it going, timing/dizzy was set, new wires, NGK plugs, cap, rotor, new weber, etc. Hainz brought some shitty half used autolites over and it fired right up :lol: Looking good too btw.

that's weird :lol: did you use the sandblaster ritual before use ? :lol: That's cool that they work though ! I just across the board have had better luck with NGK's , but i know older domestics love them from experience :confused: Hey , I will keep this in mind once I go to wake the sleeping beast in my garage this spring ! :fu: thanks for the reply DatsunNoob ! :)

DTP: no worries. I do the same thing sometimes. haha I wasn't too worried. I figured you'd either find out why or we'd explain. But now ya know! and thank you! I am mighty proud of him. my first time doing an extensive build, so this is all new to me.

DatsuNoob: thank you thank you!

derek: what would you like to know about them? they're bolts... lol with washers. they look a little washed out int he photos, but is that what you were wondering or....?

thanks for all the encouragement guys! I really appreciate it this thing is so close to running i can taste it! :drool:

derek: what would you like to know about them? they're bolts... lol with washers. they look a little washed out int he photos, but is that what you were wondering or....?

Maybe he doesnt realize they are camber plates.

What top hats did you guys use since you went with a dyi set up?

They're T3 Camber plates, which is why we have the bolts on there. We used T3 top hats as well. On my car, I used Ground Control top hats and I'm not too pleased with them... They work... but last month I had to replace one of the bearings. No idea if it was a fluke or an issue with their product, but we stayed with T3 this time.

Once the car starts and the carb is fiddled with and whatnot, we'll drive it to NAPA and pick out some nicer plugs to spoil it with.

They're T3 Camber plates, which is why we have the bolts on there. We used T3 top hats as well. On my car, I used Ground Control top hats and I'm not too pleased with them... They work... but last month I had to replace one of the bearings. No idea if it was a fluke or an issue with their product, but we stayed with T3 this time.

Thats odd/scary to hear, they are using needle bearings too not even the cheaper ball pivot. How did the bearing fail? Those top hats are for what a 2.5 spring?