KA-Kait's 2dr. First Time Dime.

KA-Kait

Oh man. where do I start? Well after seeing my 240sx convertible, I was out a car, and in some money to throw towards a dime. I wasn't looking for a completed project, I wanted something a little ratty, and definitely something I could continue to learn off of. Well, luckily for me WagDatto's big brother had something right up my alley. He picked up this 2dr from a buddy. saving it from a field, planning to restore it. but when he heard I was in the market, well what a better way to give it a good home, right? and it's not like he wont be watching it come all together?! :D needless to say here are pictures of the dime when he got it. Tomorrow it will be dollied to my house where I get to dive right into getting this thing running.

6014_102302243732_604543732_2204300.jpg

6014_102302248732_604543732_2204301.jpg

6014_102302378732_604543732_2204317.jpg

6014_102302408732_604543732_2204323.jpg

As you can see, a fairly straight body, but it does have some blemishes (surface rust!) but that's nothing a little sanding and TLC can't fix!

6014_102302333732_604543732_2204311.jpg

Bosch high beams, Euro turn signals. >.<

6014_102302308732_604543732_2204307.jpg

Euro taillights!

6014_102302433732_604543732_2204328.jpg

6014_102302418732_604543732_2204325.jpg

6014_102302273732_604543732_2204303.jpg

6014_102302228732_604543732_2204299.jpg

6014_102302203732_604543732_2204295.jpg

now here's my project :rubs hands together: the car had a little bit of a fire. Needless to say, the damage was done, and here's the extent of it.

6014_102302213732_604543732_2204297.jpg

6014_102302328732_604543732_2204310.jpg

The block looks to be fine, as does... well the whole left side of the engine ((FOR THE MOST PART)). the Carb's what went up in flames and needs to be rebuilt and well the whole engine needs new wiring, hoses, belts, gaskets, and random other assortment of items. But it's nothing unfix-able, right?!

I have a little 'list' of everything I need to buy/find to get this running. My goal is to tackle the engine while it's still decent weather out, get it running before I focus on fixing the drivers side floorboard (which needs to be fixed BADLY) and giving the whole interior a quick scrub down so I don't have bugs biting at my ankles. I figure on the days while I can't do anything to the engine I can focus on sanding out some rust, and getting it ready for Primer. No, I don't have any idea what the heck I plan on doing beyond doing a KA24DE swap, but even that is months off. I want to get this thing Daily Drive-able and get it back on the road! It's a lot of work, but I'm fortunate enough to have AMAZING friends and plenty of phone numbers to call when i Get in a pickle! :D <3 Tomorrow I'll have pictures of it coming back home and hopefully maybe snagging the engine out of it and putting it on a stand and ready for me to begin pulling apart/polishing.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sweet bout time you got a datto lol if you need a hand let me know i also have some parts that might help you out let me know what you need im local (kinda) what am i saying you can see it all at the meet :cool:

i think i would start by stripping all the wiring out of it and getting a painless harness or a good original your not gonna wanna use anything electrical in that car if its been threw a fire

Edited by bonvo

haha thanks for the love! im actually in and out of the house right now, cleaning out the garage from my OLD project and getting it ready for tomorrow. haha. which is fun. well not fun, but... well exciting because I know what I am prepairing for. Either way, WagDatto's older brother is going to help me with the wiring. we're redoing all of it, basically. Fresh start, and get it done and done. As for it being too much for me. hell you're probably right, but don't worry. You're local Atom! you can come give me a hand :P Definately Bonvo! Heck, you're local enough. I'll see your at the meet on Saturday!

screw getting that motor running.... just drop a ka in it so you can sty ka-kait..... l-kait sounds too ethnic hahah... oh and you know who has wiring harnesses? james! now you need to find 280zx struts and an LSD...... check rocklin pnp i always find rare crap there ( lsd,280zx struts, rabbit radiator ) happy for ya though.. must have been the toe crossing lol

The Longchamps are gone, I'm afraid- but they went to a good home.

Congrats again on the new project- I know it looks rough, but most precious gems do when they're pulled from the ground... it's up to skilled craftsmen to make them beautiful!

But, since we're not skilled craftsmen, we'll just have to do the best we can! ;)

Alright, time to toss in my $.02 since I'm the resident muscle/mechanic in this matter...

The car gets to her place today, and we're going to spend this morning/afternoon collecting parts to get ready to dive into it. Plan is to replace motor and tranny mounts, all hoses, most/all gaskets, rebuild the carb, etc, etc.

Here's a few things we NEED, that maybe a Ratsuneer can help us out with! The car has a L18 in it, and we're going to need a distributor, a coil and a fuel pump blockoff plate. If anybody has any of these things kicking around, PLEASE let Kait know! The idea is to get this thing moving ASAP!

Depending on how much energy we have after moving the car and unloading/organizing what we've got, we might try to drain and drop the tranny and get the motor ready to yank tonight! Until her parents are settled back in at home from camping, the motor will be staying put (RV needs to trade places with the dime once or twice).

I'm excited to learn more about the L series! I know my way in and around the KA fairly well, so this will be an interesting project to say the least! Maybe when I pick up my Z, this will help me out to get a temp motor in and running....

Congrats, Kait! Glad the Blottie family can keep getting you into automotive trouble!

Oh shit that's kirk's old 510! i got to ride in it before the fire:(

Hahaha! Yes it is, Kirk is a good friend of Phil's, and that poor 2 door sat in a field after the fire for a looong time!

This was one of Kirk's other dimes that wasn't worth saving.... it's a shame he had to move, he trashed a few cars to be able to get out un-fined

Here's a little idea of what Sean and I did all morning to prepare for this build. Keep in mind this is all from 3 different Auto Parts stores. Between Napa, Kregan and Harbor Freight I'd say it's safe to say we have a good start on what we'll be using.

parts1.jpg

parts2.jpg

parts3.jpg

parts4.jpg

parts5.jpg

parts6.jpg

Here's the list of what was purchased

Engine Stand (last night, but pictured)

2 cans of Foamy Engine Bright

1 can of carb cleaner

1 box of medium sized gloves

Plug Wires

2 Drain pants

1 basic airtools little kit thingy

1 Purple Power

1/2" Composite Air Impact Wrench

1 Gasket Scraper

1 L18 Gasket Set (literally...almost every freakin gasket we'll need(

Lower & Upper Radiator Hose

Belt

Spark plugs

Distributor Cap

Rotor

RTV (two types)

1 Air Dual Sander

120 Grit sand paper

1 set of Deep Wall Impact sockets

and i think that's it. i MIGHT be forgetting something but I doubt it. either way. bought a lot of stuff, still have a lot of money left over to make this thing run. We also called up James Johnson to figure out if he has a distributor/coil/fuel pump blockoff for me, and Imagine that, he does. So this weekend that will be brought home from the Over-Night swap meet! It's coming together, slowly but surely. Tonight I'll post more pictures of the thing coming to it's new home!

you want to save soem dough? return the impact and sander..... and borrow mine.....i know they are cheap at harbor..... but i am not using mine anytime soon....... also have air ratchet, hammer, cutter and die grinders if you need them..... oh and a chop saw...... and welder :P