KA-Kait's 2dr. First Time Dime.

KA-Kait

Well extreme heat fatigue aside it also traps condensation every time the engine is run then turned off to let sit which on bare metal is murder. I'm just saying I dont think wrap is wrong or bad it jsut has to be used properly. Like thermally coating the mani/header prior etc....

I honestly think they didn't care, it was a get it running build that they didn't plan to have in there long so they said fuck it we have heat wrap lets use it lol. Sorry if my assumption is wrong.

Not knocking the post or effort to help either just think its too extreme. It like a lot of things can be good or bad depending on how it's used.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not ever run an intercooler on a draw through. The intercooler would be full of mixed fuel and air and under boost pressure. If the engine ever back fired it would blow the front end of the car off.

7 PSI is about 50% more air. If a stock L20B makes about 90 RWHP then in theory a 50% increase in power would net you 135 RWHP. About 157 HP at the crank.

This makes total sense regarding the IC. Didnt even think about that! That could make for a very interesting engine fire/decent explosion haha.

Kait/Sean

+1 on Wide band and a decent pyrometer!

If your looking for a good "ona budget" Pyrometer and boost guage, check out the GlowShift guages. I have their boost, Oil Pressure, and EGT guage. The boost guage is mechanical but the Oil pressure is electronic. I got the whole setup NEW for about 120-130 shipped or something wich is pretty damn cheap compared to anything else...

They have worked in my maxima for almost a year, they have all sorts of different styles to pick too...Sure beats paying 3 times as much for other guages...god forbid the quality is better but these WORK...thats all that matters to me haha

Well extreme heat fatigue aside it also traps condensation every time the engine is run then turned off to let sit which on bare metal is murder. I'm just saying I dont think wrap is wrong or bad it jsut has to be used properly. Like thermally coating the mani/header prior etc....

I honestly think they didn't care, it was a get it running build that they didn't plan to have in there long so they said fuck it we have heat wrap lets use it lol. Sorry if my assumption is wrong.

Not knocking the post or effort to help either just think its too extreme. It like a lot of things can be good or bad depending on how it's used.

TOTALY agree, in most cases this is the best most people can do. exhaust wrap is expensive on its own but having piping coated isnt any cheaper. I have a Rear mounted turbo setup on my maxima, so basically i had to wrap my exaust from the headers ALLL the way to the back of the car were my turbo is. 100' roll and some extra is what i used just for the exaust piping down from the header to turbo haha...You can count me out of paying someone to ceramic coat that much piping, hence why i went with the wrap...

the best thing i could advise doing is putting on a nice coat of high temp paint on whatever your wrapping....this def helps a bit. In regards to cracking your piping, meh...this happened to me on my Y pipe due to the fact the pipe was previously used on another supercharger setup and the pipe itself is rather old and already somewhat brittle, AND because when i wrapped it, i guess i didnt evenly wrap the secion on a bend (where it cracked).

The key is basically wrapping as EVENLY as possible, if you leave some piping exposed or not "as" wrapped, you can bet its probably going to crack there...As long as you take your time and get the exaust wrap wet and wrap it TIGHT everyhing should be fine..

Another alternative that i saw when i was buying my wrap at Tognottis was this "Header wrap" stuff that kinda looks like sheats of dynamat but its for your headers...you might want to look into that if you think it will work better. I have no experience with it so i cant really tell you if it will work for this kinda setup...Im not really sure if it does the same thing as exaust wrap either to be honest...i just saw it on the shelf and it caught my eye...

The exhaust wrap we have is either 1.5" or 2" fiberglass black wrap. The more overlap you have with the wrap, the hotter it stays inside the wrap. We'll be overlapping about 1/4" or so, which is on the light side. It will be cleaned up and painted with high temp paint prior to wrapping to keep it from rusting too badly. The idea is just to cool down the master a little, not to keep the thing from getting warm.

A lot of the problem with exhaust wrap is installation error, not prepping the metal properly, or thin-walled metal to begin with. Ebay turbo manifolds will crack over time with or without the wrap, so people who do wrap them just make the process quicker. This is decent gauge steel in good shape. Just needs a wire wheel, paint and wrap!

The issue is that we have header wrap. We don't have sheet metal. The downpipe still needs to be bolted up. There won't be any harm done from running a wrap on a small section of down pipe with little overlap.

There is also the difference in that the wrap will lower over all under hood temps where as a shield would just block the MS.

Word. And especially for a non-intercooled setup, that could prove to be quite helpful! Also, it looks like the hood might need some persuading for it to fit properly with aftermarket motor mounts. The hole that's already there might be getting opened up more and covered with some sort of scoop. Win!

Word. And especially for a non-intercooled setup, that could prove to be quite helpful! Also, it looks like the hood might need some persuading for it to fit properly with aftermarket motor mounts. The hole that's already there might be getting opened up more and covered with some sort of scoop. Win!

Not to sound like a broken record but this is what i was talking about, i think this is what i saw at Tognottis last time i went to buy my 10000' roll of wrap.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Thermo-Tec/Thermo-Tec-Header-Manifold-Blankets/746454/10002/-1

I have been curious to try this myself on a car, and to be honest the way that it looks doesn’t look like it will hold in moisture like the wrap would…Maybe someone here has experience with this type of header “insulation”. But to me it looks like it would work for what you want it to do, and at the same time prevent rust on your precious turbo header! Maybe I am wrong, but its worth looking into unless you already bought the wrap….Like I said they have the same type of thing where they sell the wrap here in sac at Tognottis.

L series Turbo headers are few and far between, and regardless of what you plan on doing with this motor in the long haul, IMO it would be worth looking into keeping it safe…Afterall its probably the most valuable part of the whole setup…

We already have the wrap. It's left over from when we wrapped the L18 exhaust manifold. It'll do the job. We won't need to buy anything else. For the win.

Kait doesn't like Boso cars. She says they're dumb. But she likes my car. It's not full boso yet. She'll hate it when I'm done with it! :D

We already have the wrap. It's left over from when we wrapped the L18 exhaust manifold. It'll do the job. We won't need to buy anything else. For the win.

Kait doesn't like Boso cars. She says they're dumb. But she likes my car. It's not full boso yet. She'll hate it when I'm done with it! :D

FINE! lol

Well let me know when you go wrap so I can bring over my “I am T-Pain” iphone app and wrap with you…

Showtayyyy :harhar:

was it just a stock fuel pump with a regulator ?

It was just a stock fuel pump. I don't think there was a FPR, but have no clue. Electric should regulate itself and the carb should be able to do its thing as well. Hopefully all the "shoulds" work out!!

So there's not a big update. but i felt the need to tell ya that I did complete SOME stuff. minor...things. My mirrors are but on. brakelines on. everything is..well good to go I just need this baby to be wired! let's hope it happens this weekend *crosses fingers* Soooo close to running. I feel like Im gonna burst. haha WagDatto has some pictures of me sitting in the car, so when he's back from Vaca maybe he'll post em. either way, YAY!