Project "Against the grain" turbo720 build

nis720

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

can you see through the resonator? is it straight through flow, or like a turbo muffler?

It's straight thru.... I was in Sacramento all weekend so I didn't get a chance till yesterday to get it installed.

Got a chance to snap some underside shots.

IMG_5311a.jpg

IMG_5308a.jpg

maybe keep it in the system and put a nice muffler after it?

im not sure tho.. with the turbo, your probably just looking for something that flows well...

I wasn't happy with it. Saturday I went and got a Magnaflow installed.

IMG_5343a.jpg

IMG_5342a.jpg

Sunday afternoon I took my brother-in-law for a test drive and developed a clunking sound. Seem the transmission begged for mercy.

527459_10150730242437776_652797775_9771478_1838336324_n.jpg

No z32 upgrade?

Size is a big factor along with shifter placement. Last night I compared it to a 240sx tranny.

The 240sx tranny has the shifter 7" further back than my stock 720 tranny. The tranny mount sits an 1" further back and the overall length would require me to shorten the driveshaft about 8".

Bad news is the tranny I went to see last night was a longer one. So now I'm having my stock 720 one rebuilt before the weekend so I can try to make it to the Fontana Nissan meet.

is this the stock z24 trans youre still workin with?

would a KA HB trans work possibly in the future?

Yes this is the stock Z24 trans... after 300K miles, I think it did it's job well.

I've been trying to find one for cheap to try for the past 2 years. No luck yet.

My friend took the tranny to a shop that did his. We are also taking a 240sx tranny to see if we can upgrade the gears inside my FS5W71B tranny with thicker 71C gears.

2eDeYe' timestamp='1336055876' post='679944']

I think the hardbody transmissions are longer, would have to be verified though.

I don't mind the extra length. It's the shifter location I'm concerned about.

I would do a hardbody transmission, Im almost positive they are the exact same length and shifter position. when I was told to look for transmissions for my ka24e corolla i was told to look in the hardbodys and the last couple years of 720 and they were the same transmission. Then the earlier 720s had a slightly different tranmsmission (the one you probably have now) but that the dimensions were the same.

It has been a while though, so Im not 100%. it should be on my build thread though.

Btw love your truck, it was a big inspiration when I had my single slammer sitting around waiting to get thrown in my 620.

Seems the 240sx tranny gears are not compatible with the 720 tranny, very different. According to the shop I broke 4th gear pretty bad. My friend will be dropping off the tranny tonight and I should be able to rock and roll once again. :w00t:

New tranny feels nice and tight. Made it out to Fontana Nissan Cuatro Meet first, then went down to the Relaxing in Socal show in Torrance. I was able to park inside with the PASmag guys but didn't compete because I was not registered. One of the judges said if I was registered i would have been in the best engine category, maybe next year.

IMG_0311.jpg

IMG_0312.jpg

IMG_0313.jpg

My friend brought my transmission on friday along with a 240sx transmission for comparison.

720 trans (short one)...........240sx trans

Overall length = 26"............33"

Shifter location= 24-3/8"......31-1/2"

Mount location= 21".............22-3/8"

We tried to get in the truck with the motor in but the length of the tranny didn't allow it to clear the flywheel without cutting the trans tunnel or modding the crossmember. I also will try to get my hands on a hardbody trans to fit in my truck.

IMG_5347a.jpg

This was Sunday morning before rolling out to Fontana Nissan Cuatro meet.

IMG_5366a.jpg

• 2 months later...