my 620

BEEBANI

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I finally took some pictures of some of the little things I've done over the past few months.

Adjustable fuel pressure regulator:

autumn_024.jpg

Here's the new fuse box I just installed, and the headlight relays:

autumn_020.jpg

autumn_022.jpg

Here's the inside of the bed almost finished:

autumn_016.jpg

Custom "pleather" door panels:

autumn_017.jpg

autumn_015.jpg

Custom egay shift knob:

autumn_018.jpg

I spent some time yesterday and today working on it, put in a new switch box (EAI 7-switch). Spent some time today upgrading the upper control arms, 720 adjustable outer tie rods, and a new idler arm. Should have that finished up with pics in the next couple days.

Worked on the front end this week, added some 720 adjustable outer tie rods (thanks RockAuto) so I can actually take it to an alignment shop.

truck019.jpg

truck012-1.jpg

Had to shorten them down (tried to keep the original track width--720's are about 3" wider)

truck018.jpg

Installed a new idler arm as well.

truck006-1.jpg

Tried putting some other upper control arms on which were too long (positive camber) and ended up putting the originals back on.

Tightened up the strut rods on the front which were loose, and everything feels so much tighter. Still needs an alignment!

These rods would work for guys doing the 720/hb spindle swap, and I highly recommend them. They only cost me $25 ea. from rock auto.

• 1 month later...

Well, I have been driving the truck as a daily, and after a tire rotation and alignment; she's been driving like a dream!

Recently I noticed when I aired up, the front was uneven. So after dealing with it for a couple weeks, I did a little investigating yesterday and determined that it was the rear causing the trouble. When I got under the bed, I almost shit my pants! The link bar was tearing out from the mount tab on the axle.

Now, I knew having the bags offset on the bars was gonna have to get changed, and I planned on doing that soon. But thanks to ratsun luck, I had to do it last night, so here's pics of repairing my shitty work.

MVC-008F-7.jpg

MVC-009F-5.jpg

MVC-010F-3.jpg

MVC-012F-4.jpg

Passenger side, not much better:

MVC-011F-5.jpg

So I fixed the bars so the bag is centered, which meant I had to move the mounts inward on the axle. I know they are cacked a little, that's because the front mounts need to be changed. I didn't have time for that, and may change that later. Made the new tabs out of 1/4" and made sure they had more meat around the bolt hole this time.

MVC-015F-2.jpg

MVC-016F-2.jpg

MVC-017F-2.jpg

MVC-018F-2.jpg

MVC-019F-2.jpg

MVC-014F-2.jpg

She's so much more solid now, and rides like a dream!

BEE, What about a triangulated lower control arm? Creating a second mount on the axle. Now i dont really know much about running a four link, but those pictures made that cross my mind.

How about those alignment number?

They're in my truck, I'll post them tomorrow.

I think the bars and mounts will be fine now that the bag is centered on the bars. They were offset before, which was constantly twisting the bars and the mounts as well.

I want to eventually redo the whole back end (why I need to get rid of the truck, can't stop fuckin' with it) and make all new bars with a different rear end or at least 3rd member with better gears.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice work man, just read through the whole thread. I had a feeling youd end up with link issues tho. I previously had a bagged ride and even with the bags centered on link bars, they can get some twist in em. I think the only way to help reduce that is a combination of dead on measuring and either a well poistiond panhard or watts link. Reduce or eliminate and side shifting of the axle ( yes heims still have some slack in em at that short of a distance).

Also, Id think about swapping the heims youve got on the front of ur lower bars for something else. A standard urethane bushing like the ones youve got at the axle for example. The heims just dont support and handle weight well. Ive seen them deteriorate fast under loads and constant use. and once youve got a really good location and end link setup, if youre concerned with the bars bending, which they still might even at that wall thickness, ive seen some really trick bar gusset work done. Basically a stretched triangle that youd weld to the bottom of the bar. The force needed to bend the link bar would actually have to tear the trianlge apart. Im sure you get what im sayin.

LOVE the diamond plate!. Looks sick. I definitely will be hittin you up for those control arms aswell once i get to that stage of my 521. Oh, before i forget, throw an electric compressor on there for backup should anything happn to your bottle. Really sucks gettin stranded with no lift and the thought of havin to drag that truck up a flat bed tow while aired out....just horrible.

Cant wait to see more.

2eDeYe;125482']Wow' date=' I missed a bit of thread there. Nice carnage :)

I wouldn't mind seeing those front numbers as well.[/quote']

I keep forgetting, they're sitting on my table at home....next to the laptop....dooough!

I'll do it tonight, I promise.:o

• 10 months later...

Man, just went through the whole thread again, makes me miss this thing!

For those that don't know, I sold the truck back in June to a guy down in the Eugene area. I keep in touch with him from time to time (seperation anxiety) and last time I talked with him he was shaving the door handles and anything else. He said it still fires right up every time he starts it. I've tried to get him to come on here, but he hasn't yet.:(

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...