What did you do to your dime today?

Mesh-71

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Car has been having trouble starting in the cold as 20* weather. and i have my heater bypassed right now, so i went to the auto part store and grabbed a little AC heater. the employee told me i should get an old heated blanket and wrap my block with is, or get a block heater. any thoughts? 

She had hesitation issues again today. I drove around to zoo was fine, loaded my kids up at home, started hesitating again.  SO pulled her back in the garage, and then took her back out at 3, hesitated then went away again, and now driving fine again.  Thinking i have sediment or rust in the tank sucking through maybe?  When hesitating she blows some black smoke when u rev, and smells very VERY rich.  Ideas?

Got the 72/510 sedan running, now to deal with an exhaust issue and see how far I can run it without a problem. Only problem so far is I smelled up the building with the fumes of exhaust, but it was worth it to hear it run again and now a stick shift!

She had hesitation issues again today. I drove around to zoo was fine, loaded my kids up at home, started hesitating again. SO pulled her back in the garage, and then took her back out at 3, hesitated then went away again, and now driving fine again. Thinking i have sediment or rust in the tank sucking through maybe? When hesitating she blows some black smoke when u rev, and smells very VERY rich. Ideas?

If its putting out black smoke it sounds like the mixture is too rich. If you pull the fuel filter and tap the side going to the tank on a flat surface you might see some trash come out you more than likely have some in your tank. You can extend the line from the tank from under the hood without a filter and let it go into a clean 5gal bucket. And blow some air into the end of the extended hose putting air into tank with your gas cap closed it should force fule out just don't over do it unless you can control it's flow, you could have someone ready to take the gas cap off to release the pressure and stop the flow.

Good luck

• Like 1

Cruised it into Seattle. Did really well until I drove into a parking garage to park... I scrapped and rubbed on every ramp going up to the next level. Was not a fun time.

The drive through Seattle was nice. Got a bunch of waves and someone took a picture of the car. Wish I'd quit being lazy and fix my heater.

Cruised it into Seattle. Did really well until I drove into a parking garage to park... I scrapped and rubbed on every ramp going up to the next level. Was not a fun time.

The drive through Seattle was nice. Got a bunch of waves and someone took a picture of the car. Wish I'd quit being lazy and fix my heater.

I saw this last night at Fred Meyer when I was picking up more antifreeze for the 521 and totally thought of you and Jalen and all your crying about not having heaters  :crying:   you should each go buy this since you're both too damn lazy to fix your heaters ;)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Wagan-Heated-Seat-Cushion/10928415

• Like 1

She had hesitation issues again today. I drove around to zoo was fine, loaded my kids up at home, started hesitating again.  SO pulled her back in the garage, and then took her back out at 3, hesitated then went away again, and now driving fine again.  Thinking i have sediment or rust in the tank sucking through maybe?  When hesitating she blows some black smoke when u rev, and smells very VERY rich.  Ideas?

Sediment would be caught by the filter. I ran the bright orange rusty gas that I dumped out of my '74 gravity fed through an in line filter. It came out champagne clear at the other end. Anything that will pass a filter will easily pass through the jets and orifices in a carb.

Rich running could be

Choke on or not completely off. If electric choke it may have a loose connection. The choke relay may not be working or you have a charging issue as the relay needs input from a charging alternator to work. This is so the choke heater is only on when the motor is running. When motor is warmed up take the top off the air filter housing and look at the choke plate... it should be full open.

Float level too high or worse flooding. Needle valve may be leaking or stuck. Float may be stuck and not closing needle valve. Look at the glass front of the carb. Gas level should be at the horizontal line. 

• Like 1

I saw this last night at Fred Meyer when I was picking up more antifreeze for the 521 and totally thought of you and Jalen and all your crying about not having heaters  :crying:   you should each go buy this since you're both too damn lazy to fix your heaters ;)

Oh my lord I need those. I love you Jenn... Im a bit spoiled rolling around in my roommates car as she has heated seats. Its quite fantastic. If the weather is clear tomorrow I will be fore sure fixing the heater. Im not really too worried about heat, but defrost will be necessary. 

• Like 1

That would be nice. i had one of these, but lost it back in the summer. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Koolatron-Auto-Heater/11710385

it worked really nice while i had it. But the heater is a easy fix, just been really lazy. 

nice work.

i just put mine in

what did you use to touch up the sliver trim?

Thanks...

I just used a metallic silver sharpie to do the trim. It looks good from a distance but I want to find something a little better since the original finish looks to have been reflective. The pieces on the knobs are going to be a challenge.

Do what... Where? How? TELL ME!!! lol :P

Lol, They came from Tokyo-2u on Ebay.  There is another set for sale now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DATSUN-1600-BLUEBIRD-510-SSS-JDM-STAINLESS-STEEL-DOOR-FRAME-MOULDS-/161165377168?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2586347e90

I don't know if you can get a wagon set, I've only seen them on 4 doors and Coupes.