Wagoon race car project

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, I've learned alot from my first build-from-scratch. We were so concerned with getting the suspension and steering angles where we wanted them, we didn't get around to bracing everything. We knew we'd be breaking a few things during our first season, so going back to the drawing board wasn't a big concern, more like a goal ;-) Every time we've fixed something that broke, the car just keeps getting better.

Buttownwillow was a good race last weekend, we qualified 5th and finished 2nd in the Mid-bore Group (out of 35), and set fast lap for the race. It took a while to get around the two 2002's in front of me, finally got around the red Healey with a couple wheels in the dirt (see previous post), and turned my fast lap trying to chase down the silver Spitfire to no avail. I've never passed that Spit, he's a regular first place finisher, so I've got a new goal for the season..

Buttonwillow-warm-up-lap.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The wagon finally got a new radiator upgrade. I knew the old orig one was a temp, but was suprised how well it held up. AFCO Scirocco unit from Summit.

IMG_5731-Small.jpg

IMG_5752-Small.jpg

Racing at Willow Springs next wknd should be a good evaluation...

The wagon finally got a new radiator upgrade. I knew the old orig one was a temp, but was suprised how well it held up. AFCO Scirocco unit from Summit.

IMG_5731-Small.jpg

IMG_5752-Small.jpg

Racing at Willow Springs next wknd should be a good evaluation...

Troy.

So Willow is the 14th- 16th ?

HSR-West will be racing Oct 15/16, I think the 14th is an open test day. I'll be getting to the track Friday afternoon to drop off and tech.

So Sat & Sun, Both days of racing. It's not that far for me to go. I might take a cruz out.

So Sat & Sun, Both days of racing. It's not that far for me to go. I might take a cruz out.

John, Come on out I will be down there helping Troy Ermish with his car... Also really looking forward to seeing this wagon up close should be a fun weekend

John, Come on out I will be down there helping Troy Ermish with his car... Also really looking forward to seeing this wagon up close should be a fun weekend

Good deal, I'll try to make it out Saturday. Should be fun. I sent Troy some side axles last week and I know they were going on a 510 race car but not sure if it was his car or a customers car.

That new rad looks amazing. Any reason to go with the scirocco over a standard crossflow? i ask because i bought a cheap cross flow circle track unit that just barely fits, but am going to have to mod the outlet directions like you did. Just curious if sciroccos are known to cool better or something.

As bonvo so correctly points out, I bought it because it fits (and because it was cheap). The size is right and it has small inlet/outlet tubes to match the OE engine inlet/outlet (1.25"). I didn't care too much if it was a crossflow, dragrace, german replacement, etc, it just needed to work well, fit, and be affordable. I even reused the OE lower rad hose. I didn't use the stock rad support captives, just used some rubber isolators on the bottom and sides. Davis, Howe, and other "race" radiators start at $500 and go up quickly from there!

Summit radiator link

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

<< When do you come out to Sears Point or Laguna Seca? >>

We usually make it out to Infineon and Laguna Seca once or twice a year for a vintage race or track day. Last season I made it to each once. Unfortunately I hear that the annual SCCA Vintage race that is always held at LSR is not happening this year (given to the non-vintage group), and the Infineon Historics now belongs to General Racing (ie invitational and big $$), so we'll just have to see how the year goes... Most of my races this season will be at Willow Springs and Buttonwillow.