Wagoon race car project

Those are Diamonds, loaners from a friend.

We were running Buttonwillow config CW25, 2.9 miles, the whole track including the Star Mazda turn at the end of the back straightaway, got down to 2:12. My class was GTL which is the old BSM, a part of B Sedan.

And yeah, we're 'representin'

http://www.racingonthecheap.com/best-weekend-ever/

Way cool. Started 14 and finished 3rd. Man what's going to happen when you really get it dialed in.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, that was started 14th overall and finished 7th overall (3rd in B Sedan), but was still pretty stoked with that.

Definitely different sized motors than original in these "Vintage" race cars, but we're only racing for trophies anyways.

Mine doesn't meet all the B Sedan rules so technically I'm GTL.

Yep, Vinnie took BS with a very good drive. I sure would like to know what he has under that hood, as it goes by at 9,000 RPM it sounds like a F1 car ;-) He got down in the 2:07s!

He got a lot of his tricks from Floyd Link and Ed Johnson, I would imagine an L16 rod L18 motor, he used to run an L20b in C sedan, but it didnt rev like that.

Thanks for the vid link, defdes. That was a great race with the Capri, but it pisses me off seeing myself getting passed due to an error on my part. His first pass on me was on the entry into Sunset but I passed him on the exit (the ol' Earnhardt crossover move), but then I screwed up the entry into Star Mazda (too fast), drifted out wide, and he had me for good. I chased him to the finish and almost had him in Sunset on the last lap as he drifted wide, but it was not to be. Next time...

I'm getting some post-race servicing done to the Goon, and working on a couple mods. I'll be at Laguna Seca for a track day in a couple weeks, and maybe a race at Infineon before year end.

Thanks for the vid link, defdes. That was a great race with the Capri, but it pisses me off seeing myself getting passed due to an error on my part. His first pass on me was on the entry into Sunset but I passed him on the exit (the ol' Earnhardt slingshot), but then I screwed up the entry into Star Mazda (too fast), drifted out wide, and he had me for good. I chased him to the finish and almost had in Sunset on the last lap as he drifted wide, but it was not to be. Next time...

I'm getting some post-race servicing done to the Goon, and working on a couple mods. I'll be at Laguna Seca for a track day in a couple weeks, and maybe a race at Infineon before year end.

I did the same thing into Star Mazda turn too, on the final lap of the BE, and got passed by my friend in his 510, sucks but you'll get him next time.

• 2 months later...

I got the Race Wagon out to PIR in Phoenix for a SCCA race this weekend. Since the last track outing I rebuilt the shortblock, finished the pedals, added partial backdoor windows, fine-tuned the front suspension geometry, added front brake ducts, and a bunch more little stuff. All the mods worked well, and we took a 2nd and a 3rd in Vintage small-bore. While I certainly enjoyed the fabrication process, it's nice to be in the racing and tuning phase of this Datto Project.

2010-12-05-010-Small-2.jpg

more pics from the track at www.RacingOnTheCheap.com

• 1 month later...