Wagoon race car project

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since build completion, the goon has been on track for three seperate track-days, and three full race weekends. So far, so good. Suspension, steering, brakes, drivetrain all working as well as I could hope for. I built in a lot of adjustability and I've been narrowing down the sweet spot. It hooks up great through mid-speed corners like the Corkscrew, and high-speed corner stability and top end speed have been suprisingly good. 5th gear through T8 & T9 at Willow Springs feels great and 122mph down its long straight-away ain't bad either. We've got a SCCA Vintage race wknd at Laguna Seca coming up at the end of the month, sounds like a lot of Z's, 510's, and Roadster's are signed up. Hope to see a few Rats in the pits!

4DW7365-Small.jpg

Moore-Arnett-WSIR.jpg

Since build completion, the goon has been on track for three seperate track-days, and three full race weekends. So far, so good. Suspension, steering, brakes, drivetrain all working as well as I could hope for. I built in a lot of adjustability and I've been narrowing down the sweet spot. It hooks up great through mid-speed corners like the Corkscrew, and high-speed corner stability and top end speed have been suprisingly good. 5th gear through T8 & T9 at Willow Springs feels great and 122mph down its long straight-away ain't bad either. We've got a SCCA Vintage race wknd at Laguna Seca coming up at the end of the month, sounds like a lot of Z's, 510's, and Roadster's are signed up. Hope to see a few Rats in the pits!

4DW7365-Small.jpg

Love this pic. :) :thumbup:

Thanks guys. That pic thru the Corkscrew is a fav of mine. I was instructing at a local track day last month, which means I get free track time in return. I put in a passenger seat for the day, and was giving 'rides'. My buddy Chris got to experience the Wagon on three wheels :D

And Datsun keychains do have multiple uses...

Duncan, Paul does awesome fab work for very reasonable rates, you won't be disappoionted.

Datrod, VARA's May 30/Apr 1 race at Cal Speedway is the same wknd as San Fran's SCCA Vintage race at Laguna Seca Raceway, a very unfortunate scheduling overlap that these clubs need to rectify next year. That wknd I'll be at my local track, LSR. Are you gonna have your '71 240Z racecar out for the VARA race? How about a few pics of it in action?

I get a lot of visitors in the pits.....

I want to drive down to Laguna Seca on either the 30th or the 1st ..... . . . which day and time would be the best to take pictures of all the cars in the pits???

I only have a 18-55mm lens ..... . so I can't really get good track shots ..... . . . How close can spectators get without a special pass????

I want to drive down to Laguna Seca on either the 30th or the 1st ..... . . . which day and time would be the best to take pictures of all the cars in the pits???

I only have a 18-55mm lens ..... . so I can't really get good track shots ..... . . . How close can spectators get without a special pass????

During amateur race weekends (other than the Historics), visitors have amazing access to both the pits and the track at Laguna Seca. You will be able to walk right up to the cars and drivers in the pits, and walk right up to several great picture taking positions along the track. Some clubs/tracks have a small fee to get into the facility for the day ($5-$10), some don't, I can't recall what the deal is with SFR SCCA for this wknd. Both days will be great, here is a link to the schedule - http://www.hsrwestrace.com/HSR_West/Laguna_Seca_Schedule.html

510s and Roadsters will be in Group 3, Zs in Group 4. Stop by and say 'Hi'.

• 1 month later...

Great pics, thanks. I'm gonna have to 'borrow' a few of them.

No damage to the strut tower, but plenty of loose hardware. The strut gland nuts were loose, and the left side had just a thread or two left to go. Right side top shock nut (on top of camber plate) was loose. Left side perch collar jam nut was loose. Front crossmember bolts needed tightening, and I found some rubbing in the top of the wheelwell in a spot I had never seen before. And yes, I check this stuff regularly, LSR just beats up cars.

I am bleeding with jealousy... I bet Laguna Seca was a BLAST in that car! I used to hate that track (On GT2) and then fell in love with it (on Forza3), and now it is a dream of mine to run my real car at that track! That turn in your pics is such a pain to get right! Everything is off-camber, and it REALLY messes with the balance of the car! Was it spooky, or just all-out fun?