Wagoon race car project

I'm a relative newbie to the list, but not new to Datsuns. My first car almost thirty years ago was a '69 521 pickup. I've owned and raced a '65 1500 Roadster and a '71 240Z, and had a track ready '06 350Z for a couple years. I'm now building a '70 510 wagon race car from scratch. The build will be followed in depth on the website in my signature. I'll continue adding pics to this thread as well as the project continues.

Big help is coming from The Moore Speed Co in Monterey, CA. Paul Moore runs a great fab shop, and he is helping me with the rollcage and suspension. His site is http://www.moore-speed.com. I get my Datsun and Nissan Comp parts from Matt at Peoria Nissan's internet sales desk, he always seems to have the best prices and service http://nissanpartswarehouse.com/.

2009-05-12-005-small.jpg

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No flares on the rear as long as the tires don't rub. The current 14x7 Panasports with 225/50s will need just a little lip rolling for the rear. With solid rear spring mounts and multi-link stabilization, hopefully the rear won't move around much under load.

... the back will be all lexan.

i want to see pix of the rear doors w/the small window removed / lexan installed!!!

im contemplating removal of mine and replacing as a single lexan piece. could still allow it to roll down ~1/2 way too.

• 1 month later...

The rollcage is now under construction. I haven't had as much time to work on the race wagon the past couple months as I would have liked, but we're back on track now. I'm gonna cut out the live axle and fab in an IRS with coilovers. The race drivetrain is also slowly coming along. Its gonna be a 2.1L longrod L20b with a close ratio comp OD 5 speed and a 4.11 LSD.

2009-07-03-006-small.jpg

Edited by troyt
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Race wagon updates-

The front suspension, brakes and steering are in, the IRS is in, and the rear suspension and brakes are coming along. The race motor and trans are getting closer to done, and we're shooting for a February shake-down.

2009-11-20-008-Small.jpg

2009-11-24-004-Small.jpg