Wagoon race car project

The Race Wagon project is still alive, just not going as fast as origninally planned. After completing the chassis, I tore it all back down to paint it and fix a bunch of little things I found along the way. The rearend and frontend are now back together, the motor/trans are done and going in next, then plumbing and wiring. Hopefully on track this summer...

2010-05-24-006-Small.jpg

2010-05-18-024-Small.jpg

2010-05-24-002-Small.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

<<OK. Two questions for you. First, where did you find a fiberglass wagon hatch?

And, what did you do with your roof rack?>>

Rear hatch through Pare Composites, link on my website.

Roof rack for sale, 'For Sale' page on my website.

www.RacingOnTheCheap.com

• 2 weeks later...

Very cool little wagons, Datrod. The slammed one with the big wheels needs to be made full size! I'm still looking for a really old one to haul gas cans around at the track.

The rear shocks are AFCOs, mostly used on sprint cars, but can be used on anything. They are light weight, relatively inexpensive, and easily adapted into custom fabrications.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice bends and fitting on the section of the cage by the drivers door. I haven't decided on that cage section on my project (the issue is gutting the door or not) but it sure does provided a nice improvement in the side-impact safety of a 510! I'd say by about a factor of 10!

As a driving instructor ( who must have many hours on the track)do you feel strongly that side impact protection is imperative for road racing? How about a "track day" car - ie: vintage racing-like no contact rules.....?

Hey blueridge, driver's side door bars are certainly a big decision in a cage build. Safety vs egress vs cost vs weight is always a tough decision. "NASCAR style" bars do require gutting the door so if you want to keep stock windows, it's a game stopper. And if its a street car, any cage that is worth building makes getting in and out of the car a pain and basically makes the back seat unuseable. The basic 'X' has been used for decades as a design that is easy to build, strong, and has a low center to make egress easier. Many 'track-day' cars use that design. Most of my racing is "vintage", but don't let that fool you, I've seen wrecks there just as bad as in SCCA or NASCAR. So it comes down to a personal decision on how much safety is worth to you in cost, time, and convenience. I built my cage after looking at dozens of other Datsun designs and incorporated all the best ideas I could. More pics at my site www.racingonthecheap.com

Hey blueridge, driver's side door bars are certainly a big decision in a cage build. Safety vs egress vs cost vs weight is always a tough decision. "NASCAR style" bars do require gutting the door so if you want to keep stock windows, it's a game stopper. And if its a street car, any cage that is worth building makes getting in and out of the car a pain and basically makes the back seat unuseable. The basic 'X' has been used for decades as a design that is easy to build, strong, and has a low center to make egress easier. Many 'track-day' cars use that design. Most of my racing is "vintage", but don't let that fool you, I've seen wrecks there just as bad as in SCCA or NASCAR. So it comes down to a personal decision on how much safety is worth to you in cost, time, and convenience. I built my cage after looking at dozens of other Datsun designs and incorporated all the best ideas I could. More pics at my site www.racingonthecheap.com

All good points!

This is about the ONLY time when I wish a 510 was just a tiny bit bigger! I definitely want to retain windows and thus door bars like yours are not an option. Room for an X-bar Between me and the door panel is at a premium. I'll try fitting a few different styles and see if I can find something my shoulder and ribs and live with!

Thanks for the input! -good to know (well, it isn't GOOD, but it's good to KNOW) that vintage racing is not crash-immune!

I think it's pretty difficult to argue against safety, though, isn't it?

I wanna see this thing done. The announcer at my track calls my Race Wagon "The Grocery Getter". It was a little irritating at first after all the work that went into mine, but I'm over it now. When you get this thing done, you won't believe how many people are gonna ask you what kind of car it is and tell you how much they love to watch you race it. I spend lots of time after the races every week fielding questions about my Race Wagon, with the fans. Apparently, not a lot of people race in a GOON! lol :D

1969DatsunRaceCar004.jpg

Hey Dirttrack, great race car you've got there. Tell me a little about the what and where of you're racing.

I can't wait until the first time I get all the annoying questions, that will mean I'm finally done with this build!