Wrecking Yard Report

With Pick-n-Pull you can KNOW what the price is -- it's published online and at the store. At other yards it depends on what the each worker feels like, sometimes you get the part off and another guy says its a different price. And PnP is less expensive than most yards. Of course there are exceptions. There are some yards that are cheaper but not many -- and PnP is nationwide.

Or those yards that won't let you go back and look. Or charge for taking the parts off. I'm a do-it-yourselfer, I don't need a yard worker torching the parts I need.

Pick-n-Pull Premiere stores are a different story. I've never been to one.

The only thing I don't like about PnP is when they automatically add surcharge for warranty. Not all stores do that, some ask first. Their 30 day free warranty is what I ask for. I wish they'd confirm inventory but it doesn't bother me too much. Their web page is usually accurate when first posted. Other yards make the same mistakes.

Thu 11/22 Thanksgiving Hours! 9 AM - 2 PM

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pick-n-Pull is a business. As a business, they have to make money to stay in business.

Last December, I got a 521 windshield for $36.49.

I recently paid $33.66, and about $49.92 for 521 fenders.

I got a group 34 battery, made in September 2011 for $17.99.

I got more than one Matchbox distributor for about $38.00

When a tank of gas in my Aerostar is over $50.00, those prices seem pretty good to me.

I have gotten a few items for free there, also. You go in, you treat the people behind the counter with some respect. I ask if they need to see in my tool box, and backpack. I found a nice prybar one time I was there, and left it on the counter when I left. I told the guy "your yard, your tools" He then looked at some of the parts I had on the counter, and marked about half of them, and pushed the other parts toward me, and said, "no charge"

It's great that they are nice to you, fact is the only yard that I have left with positive vibes lately(the last year) when I bought something is the sherwood yard, but that yard is a long ways away from me, the rest have jerks working for them, when they automaticly charge you for warranties you don't ask for, and when they tell you that they have to charge you for the studs in a 720 hub, and then call it a 4X4 hub because they don't have a price for the 2WD hub with studs, that is where I draw the line, as far as I am concerned if they have people in there walking out with stuff for free in there pockets, it won't bother me, but you would never catch me doing it, as I would not want the embarrassment of getting caught.

I have bought a lot of stuff from them over the years, but the last year or so it just hasn't been the same, I don't go there much anymore, only if they have a 520/521 listed, and I paid a $150.00 for a set of 521 LCAs and spindles/hubs, no drums, brakes, not even backing plates the last time I bought a set in the Vancouver yard, I didn't have a choice, I needed the arms for the drop arms Mike K. was making, and I didn't have an extra set to give him.

Now they are not even having a 50 percent off sale, and have you noticed that they are advertising on craigslist now, it's hilarious. rofl_zps2fd0ebc0.gif

I guess what goes around, comes around. rofl_zps2fd0ebc0.gif

yeah, you bought the extra warranty. The 30-day warranty is free.

Distributor (Electronic) W/O C Car $36.99

So remove the cap and you can buy it for 36.99. The cap is the same as most 1974-1978 distributors anyways. I've bought a dozen or so matchboxes from them in the last few years, and even some this year to help out fellow Ratsuners.

$38 for a dizzy? I just paid $56 at Pick n Pull. Highway robbery I tells ya!

Like any wrecking yard, know what you buy, and know how to buy it. Don't take the part seller's word for anything.

yeah, you bought the extra warranty. The 30-day warranty is free.

Distributor (Electronic) W/O C Car $36.99

So remove the cap and you can buy it for 36.99. The cap is the same as most 1974-1978 distributors anyways. I've bought a dozen or so matchboxes from them in the last few years, and even some this year to help out fellow Ratsuners.

Like any wrecking yard, know what you buy, and know how to buy it. Don't take the part seller's word for anything.

I knew exactly what part I was buying; it was an EI distributor, but an automatic charge for extra warranty?.. nice. Fuck those guys.

Just like MOST wrecking yards ... they'll try to get what they want out of you. I worked at a wrecking yard for years and most are not run very well. At least there is competition you can go to (pnp only own a few of the dozens of yards in Portland metro area).

You can take it back, get your money back -- I've done that a few times. And once on the extra-cost warranty when they surprised me. Now I always check prices before I go and add it up myself before the cash register.

If you find a yard where the guys are nice and friendly, that's a good reason to keep going back.

Yeah I like the smaller local yards because a little respect and good manners usually goes a long way in getting good pricing. Pick n Pull usually has a bigger selection but I have never left Pick n Pull feeling like i got a great deal, usually I'm adding up how many stupid extra environmental fees they added to the bill. I wish they added the fees to the set price so it would easier to estimate your out the door price.

ive been dealing with LKQ self-serve, they just recently switch from a regular wrecker to a "bring your own tools." the problem i have with them is that they still price their parts as if it were a "we pull it for you" type of place. i prefer pulling my own parts, but if im doing the work and using my own tools, im expecting a discount.

fortunately, they tend to not charge for the bits and pieces, i.e. i bought some leafsprings complete from shackle to hanger and they only charged me for the leafsprings. they also never check your tool bag, they one time ask to but when i set it down they literally just glanced at it and sent me on my way.

Pick Your Part in Wilmington

IMG_0200.jpg

IMG_0199.jpg

IMG_0198.jpg

IMG_0197.jpg

This poor sedan lived it's life too close to the beach. There was a lot of cancer all over her. I went out and got some parts off of her today. So there are no hard feelings when (or if) you go to get something off this car...

These parts are GONE!: hood, front grille, rear springs, rear bumper, drivers side rear window regulator, top grille, wiper linkage, and some interior bits.

And, thank you colourbox!

• Like 1

I cheat at my Pull-a-part... I have bribed them with lunch on several occasions. In return, they let me look at some of the cars before they go out in the yard. They have even let me pick cars they were just gonna crush. Half the time, I don't get charged to go in even. Just be nice to the counter guys and eventually, they realize you are not gonna screw them on the little stuff, so they help you out on the big stuff.

LKQ just opened up and they are about twice the cost of our pull-a-part. They do stock newer nicer stuff and the yard is much cleaner. I use both depending on what I am looking for.

But yeah, there are never really any old datsuns or toyats that I need stuff from or even want. Lately, the oldest nissans I have run into have been Z31s

Rancho Cordova Pick n Pull in California today has two Datsun b210's, and a near complete 280zx.

The first b210 is a 76 with the auto trans and dash (in good shape) still in it, body is pretty haggard though.

The second is a 74, has no motor or trans, but tail lights and tail light panel are GORGEOUS and the body panels are straight. The dash is all there, seats are not so nice. I wish I had the money to just take this one home with me.

Sorry I don't have pictures, should have taken some.

Non datto related but still cool....

They also had a couple of 1964 simcas, both 4 door sedans, one of them looks real good, the other appeared to have caught on fire.

My favorite wrecking yards are u-pullit-u-saev in Boring,oregon and Key Motors in Molalla,oregon (they have a 2nd yard now,R&B wrecking or something like that. Several Z's & 720 trucks there.) They don't always seem to know what cars are in the yard,but you can go back & look,pull your own parts,& prices seemed reasonable last time I was at any of them.

This poor sedan lived it's life too close to the beach. There was a lot of cancer all over her. I went out and got some parts off of her today. So there are no hard feelings when (or if) you go to get something off this car...

These parts are GONE!: hood, front grille, rear springs, rear bumper, drivers side rear window regulator, top grille, wiper linkage, and some interior bits.

And, thank you colourbox!

You're welcome! I had went there to check out the 310. Was hoping I could use the felt channel for my 210 but it was actually shorter. Took it anyway. Wish I could've helped MicroMachinery get stuff from the 610 but that yard is a bit of a drive and freaking gas is so expensive. I try to help when/if I can. And I don't know what the deal is but I have to keep following this topic. I click the link to follow and every now and again it just unfollows for some reason. Wondered why I wasn't getting any notices.