Project PO(previous owner)

So with the start of the new year, I've decided to take on another project. This rig has taken me a lot of places despite how much I've neglected it over the years. It used to be in really nice shape, but I've let it deteriorate over the years. I've only managed to break one part in the last 45 years and I did it up right. Took some professionals 3 tries to fix it and it's still not perfect. It wouldn't bother me as much if the rig wasn't loaded down from a ton of excess additions over the years. I had managed to remove all the additions a couple of time only to succumb to new ones. It used to run and drive like a sports car, but now it's much more like a mid '80's Cadillac.....still a nice ride but way too slow and couldn't handle the curves even if it wanted too :)

Despite all the other projects I have going, I think I can work this one in. The bonus is that as I get this one closer to completion, The other projects will be a lot easier to complete. Win/win :)

I will need to treat this rig a bit differently if I want to bring it back around. Maybe start treating it to higher octane stuff instead of any 'ol crap I can shove down it's pipe.

Not sure how often I'll update this. Heck, I may regret starting this thread as soon as I post it!! :)

I was going to name the thread Project mklotz70, but I thought that maybe there might be a few others out there with similar projects, that would like to post here too. I figure I need to consider myself a New Owner now since the Previous Owner didn't take care of this rig worth sh*t!! :)

Okay.....so here's the rig as it is now.....pretty sad, but at least it's still a daily driver and not in the shop or scrapyard!!! Specs on the rig are sad....5'4" @ 242lbs :(

Dec31_08c.jpg

Dec31_08d.jpg

Just for fun....here's a pic of it during one of it's "addition" removals.............many years ago!!!!

IMG.jpg

Anyway.....anyone else with a similar project...feel free to join in! I figured with all the completely pointless BS, banter and non-datsun related posts on here these days....why not a thread like this :)

Edited by mklotz70
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry...no gym for me. I think I've already got the tools I need right here. If they don't do the trick, I'll probably buy a new tool or two. I've gone the gym route and although it can be fun, I'm certainly not up for it anytime soon. Takes up way too much time!!!! But feel free to post your own project here :)

I don't figure I'll have mine done by Canby, but hopefully it will be well underway :)

Edited by mklotz70
Sorry...no gym for me. I think I've already got the tools I need right here. If they don't do the trick, I'll probably by a new tool or two. I gone the gym route and although it can be fun, I'm certainly not up for it anytime soon. Takes up way too much time!!!! But feel free to post your own project here :)

I don't figure I'll have mine done by Canby, but hopefully it will be well underway :)

Who goes to the gym to work out.....I like sitting by the jogging machines. :D

I will join you in this project....I have been neglecting my body for along time now...ANd let me tell you i am pushing atot more weight than you are. I am almost 380# ya no shit. The scary thing about this is that I weight 200# when I graduated high school...

So if you would like some company in this make over then I will jump on the band wagon....I will say good kuck and keep us posted and I will do the same ...I need to get photos up..but if anyone nows me you know I own stock in Taco Bell (lol)

So kudos to you MIke and best of luck....AMybe if I losse a ton or two I might be able to buy a 320 and actually fit in it.....

Welcome aboard Dave!!! Best of luck to you too!! Glad to have the company! :)

Matt.....maybe you should post the ingredient here! :)

Mike....I'll be working up to that....for now, any extra movement is a good thing. I've got a Total Gym(original series) that I've had for probably close to 10 years....and it has actually gotten used over the years. Usually, I use it just so I don't pull a muscle at work. My job was really sedintary for years and when I actually had to stretch a belt back onto a pulley, I would hurt for days. So, I came up with a quick routine that hit all the groups and only takes about 10 min....and I quit pulling muscles. I'll start with that and move up :) We also have a really nice nordictrack recumbent bike that I rode for a couple of months this summer. I need to get back on that too. :) I think the most important change will be to remove the shovels from from utensil drawer and put normal forks and spoons back in there :)

Hey Mike you show up looking like that to Canby and I may have to leave Lisa at home

To QUOTE Lisa..."WOW what a stud" :lol::lol:

Clayton

LOL is right! :) .....she does realize I'm only about half a tall as a stud?? :)

.....hhhhmmm....I guess the challenge is on!! So you're saying that if I show up like that to Canby, she's going to wear short-shorts and stand in front of my NL for a complete....not half like the last one.....photo??!!! :) Okay! :)

I myself work out and stretch every day at home, gyms are a rip to the average person imo. At 6'1" 145-150lbs 6-8% body fat I'm usually more concerned with keeping weight on then taking it off though. My personal goal is a solid 155-160 and under 5%. It's actually pretty hard work. I'm also trying to get some superior flexibility i.e. Chinese split and the like. The last 3 inches are proving very frustrating. Anyway.....

There are many schools of thought but I would like to just throw some tips out there. You may know them already but w/e, just want to help.

Muscle weighs more then fat, if you strength train on that total gym or at all your going to gain or break even. I'm sure your strong enough for your own purposes anyway.

At your age and weight(which isn't that bad) I would be careful that with your cardio, you don't put to much strain on your joints. Fluid motion is paramount, jogging for ex is bad, power walking (walking AS FAST as you can) is good. Biking is good as well.

I would also take the time to warm up and stretch every single time. Stretching provides amazing gains in over all health let alone the resistance to injury. Stretching out after your done is imp too as is a proper cool down.

You seem to know what to do, just throwing my .02 in there. Regardless of the work out regiment if you burn more cals then you take in your going to loose weight, it's that simple. Its very easy to do, esp if you supplement 1-2 meals a day with say a boost or equiv, healthy as well. organic food should be mulled over, its not all cals, fats and carbs. Quality is very imp to how your body metabolizes what it takes in. Hormone, antibiotic, poor feed riddled meat or dairy is bad Idc what the fat content, as is veggies grown in pools of pesticides. You guys on the west coast are so lucky, you live in the heart of the organic/environmental revolution in this country. Take advantage :-).

I think its always a good idea to sit down and mark out goals and a time table and how your plan to achieve them. I mean you could go ape shit with an all salad diet, one month and your going to feel like a 20yo, that month would suck sooooo bad though. You could wear a bag while you work out or just do 10min a day, lots of paths. The more you put in though the more you get out.

Okay I'm rambling, this is a topic I enjoy lol. Whatever the path its very good you decided to try. Best of luck and keep us updated.

Edited by 72240z

okay Clayton....these are a bit newer.....circa Oct '99.....after having dropped 65lbs. Thin, but not much of a stud factor :( I at least want to get back to that point again. The older pic was about 155lbs? these last ones..about 165. I've got an easy 80lbs to lose.

d1mike.jpg

d2mike.jpg

72240z.....Thanks for the input. I've done a ton of reading over the years....as well as a ton of diets. It's not really rocket science....burn more than you take in, you can't help but lose weight. The biggest diff between them all is which one fits mentally/physically. I know that I handle higher protein diets much easier than Paula. I dropped 85lbs just before the oldest pic. I was in the AF with a broken ankle....the break I mentioned. The doc messed up...asked what he could do to make it up...I told him I wanted a 1200/day cal diet in the chow hall. He set it up. I ate the fruit/veggies first, then the meat, then if I had room, the starches. I dropped a lot pretty quickly. I was there for 6 weeks and probably lost about 30-35lbs. When I got released back to my dorm(Paula was already stateside) I started going to the gym. Did some protein shakes and watched what I ate. I'd still have pizza, but only one slice. In contrast to the last time we had pizza and I ate at least a half a large...with an ice cream chaser!!! :)

The second big loss was on Herbalife....back when it still had ephedra in it. Stuff worked great back then. Other than the price, I can't really say anything bad about it. I kept most of it off for a few years.

We did WW early this year and that seemed to be the most realistic. Dropped about 35lbs, then quit going to the meetings($80/mo for the two of us@$40ea) and started putting it back on. The last half of this year....I pretty much went guilt free! Didn't care about my weight and didn't worry about! Mentally kinda figuring it was a "last hoo-raw" (so to speak) since I knew that I'd be hitting the half way mark(45 earlier this month) and the second half wasn't going to be as easy as the first half. I figure I only really had to work at it for the last half of the first half(of my life).......but I'm going to have to work at it the entire second half!!!! So, I figured I'd take a bit of a break before hitting it. We'll see how it plays out. This isn't so much a "New Years" resolution as a "New Life" resolution. I know...easy to say....I'll probably be looking to delete this in a week!! Hopefully, accountability and embarassement should pick up where will power leaves off!!! :)

Right on mike! Its never to late to get in the best shape of your life:) Even at 45 yrs. old! You are still very young:)! After all, "age is a matter of mind, and if you dont mind, it doesnt matter!":D

I myself work out 3 days a week religously and im 38 yrs. old! I use free weights and walk about a mile or two a day as well as watch my diet.

Best Wishes to you and and your family ! Happy New Year!!

Thanks Dreamer :)

I completely agree with your statement about age, but I've hit that point where there is a distiction between mental age and physical age. Mentally, I see a hot 19 year old chick and in my mind, age doesn't matter :) ....physically, it does kinda matter that I'd have a coronary when I got kicked in the groin when she catches me drooling. Doesn't matter that I was drooling cause I'm old....I'd still get kicked! :) So, I either need to get in shape or wear a cup!! LOL I'd go to the gym....I'd see one of them there girlies with all the right curves and I'd be thinkin' to myself.........damn.....I want a body like THAT!!!!!!! Yep....one just like that......all oiled up and rubbin' up against me.....for a whole 2min....then I'd be spent and need a nap!! :) I last so much longer in my dreams!!!

You know when you're young, you bring asprin to bead....she asks "What's that for? I don't have a headache." .....and your reply is "That's what I wanted to hear!!!" When you're older...you give her a kiss...rub a curve or two telling her your ready......the whole time secretly hoping she has a headache so you can get some sleep!!!

In too much pain in the morning.....too tired at night......I swear it was an old fart that invented "Afternoon Delight"!!! :)

Edited by mklotz70

wow mike u looked like a bad mofo in that old pic... not sayin u dont now.. u know what i mean..

i "only tho im 23" am on a downward spiral myself.. sittin around at home all day playin mr. mom is takin a toll on me.. i guess i have plenty of time to work out but just dont have the drive to do so, guess it doesnt help that my girlfriend doesnt shop very healthy an i smoke the u know what so the munchies always factor in... i been drinking alot of water lately.. an thats a start.. i was drinkin alot of soda an we all know that shits bad!!

anyways good luck with your build mike

wow mike u looked like a bad mofo in that old pic... not sayin u dont now.. u know what i mean..

.....uuummmm......you're sayin' your hot for me???

:) thanks lynch.

.....if the only thing in the house to munch on was carrot sticks, I think you'd throw away your lighters pretty quickly :)

1200 cals will certainly do it lol. Your really on the money with the mind set too, event he best plan doesn't mean a thing if the person doesn't REALLY want to do it.

I personally strongly disagree with products that change the bodies metabolism though. I feel the cons FAR outweigh the pros but to each their own, thats just my opinion.

You know whats up and you want it, if you were at that weight in the winter of all times only 9 years ago you should be able to get back to it (or close) within the year no prob.

if my teeth were not all messed up i'd eat carrots more often.. i like em lol what sux is when your young you dont think about brushin your teeth or whatever so when your older your screwed.. u can brush all u want an the pain doesnt go away an they dont get any better :(

Aint that the truth... I have some annoying bunching from old wisdom teeth being impacted before they were removed and some gum loss form the lebret I wore a good decade. Now I brush rinse and floss like crazy. I would be lieing if I said it didn't drastically improve things. If I ever hit the lotto or something though there will certainly be some changes made lol.

As for your lifestyle I have been in the same funk. One day I just got pissed, quit smoking, started eating right, working out etc... Idk once if becomes a routine its all down hill. You should give it a shot imo, learn the lesson from your teeth, one day we wake up and we are 60, I plan to be healthy and with few regrets al be it prob dirt poor lol.

Take care in any event.

Good job Mike, I'm with ya here also. I'm 33 and been about 100 lbs. overweight for about 13 years now. My wife went to LA weight loss about a year ago, and I followed their plan with her and had pretty good results, but could never stick with it. If I watch how much I eat and switch over to diet pop (can never stop drinkin' that) and drink more water, I start to loose weight just by doin' that. I've also got a very nice treadmill in the back room that I never touch and am going to start.

Don't know about you, but I'm tired of being out of breath just buttoning my pants these days. So I'm on board, you got my support, let's hope to see a lot less of each other at Canby '09!

If you can handle the boredom of exercise, I mean really dull treadmill, gym stuff then your in. I just know that I couldn't keep that pace up for even a week. You may have to change your life style, in a positive way of course.

Go for an evening walk with Paula, go alone if you have to. You'll find that you start out small and increase the distance over time. Maybe even drive somewhere and walk. I find that it's got to be fun or forget it. This is a commitment so have the proper clothing so there is no excuse for not going. I bike to work, about 50 miles a week, maybe just under. That's 2 X 20 minute work outs a day, rain or shine. Only snow stops me and I can't work if there is snow so... I find this, plus work outdoors keeps me fairly fit or just above average for a guy closing in on sixty.

One thing about biking is you burn calories and are always hungry which is ok long as you keep biking. This recent slowdown at work and snow for the last 2-3 weeks means I sit at home... eating. lol The roads are almost safe to bike into town and have a coffee with my wife before she opens her store. Then I'm free to head down town or return home. But I've got to get at it!!!!

Good luck Mike, I know you'll do just fine. Hey what we need is a bicycle powered TV. Old bike, Datsun alternator, battery, inverter... good to go.

Cool project Mike! I don't know that much about the subject but my bro taught me a bit. Freshman year he broke the bench press record! Looking at me I doubt you would think my bro is a short, strong dude. He was way into fitness because if he didn't he gains wait really easy. In high school he ate an all protein diet or something like that, when he went to high school parties instead of chuggin beer he would chug watter. He said once he drank 19 BIG glasses of water in a few hours and got sick haha. Know he is 22 and works for the city. He doesn't really try to stay built but he does go to the gym to stay in shape. We used to go to the gym together with some buddies. I felt like I was the one who was getting ripped off. All of them would build big ass muscles, I would get a little stronger but I never looked ripped. I did get up to 18 pull ups :D

Good luck Mike and keep us posted.

Sweet! Bee...glad to hear you're on board. Thanks for all the support guys!!

I don't need to workout to break a sweat.....I just bend over and tie my shoes!!

As for the boredom....I'll record a car show or two and watch them while I ride the bike. The auto program would shut off and I'd keep pedalling....put on an easy 6 miles before the show was over. It'll take a couple of weeks to get back to that.

Time to hit the hay or I'd chat some more.

Happy New Year Everyone!!!