Vehicle Pronouns

Ok I know this is silly but I'm gonna put it out there anyway. 

I've always wondered why male car owners insist on refering to their vehicles as females? "I just bought her last week". "She's running great". 

I just can't do that with my vehicles. I've owned a 60s classic car and other fast turboed cars that I've street raced with and I don't see them as girly/sissie cars. Not even my 720 that I wouldn't consider as the most manliest of trucks. I still don't consider it to be a sissie truck.

I think it's because I equate female with girly, or feminine, or sissie. So I refuse to refer to my vehicles as she/her. I'll just stick to "it".

• Like 1
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, IZRL said:

I've always wondered why male car owners insist on refering to their vehicles as females? "I just bought her last week". "She's running great". 

I just can't do that with my vehicles. I've owned a 60s classic car and other fast turboed cars that I've street raced with and I don't see them as girly/sissie cars. Not even my 720 that I wouldn't consider as the most manliest of trucks. I still don't consider it to be a sissie truck.

I think it's because I equate female with girly, or feminine, or sissie. So I refuse to refer to my vehicles as she/her. I'll just stick to "it".

I think I refer to mine as she because they are always needing something or causing issues... someday you love them and some days you hate them, ...  but you still wanna ride that ride..... 

• Like 1

I think all ships, trains and planes etc., are 'vessels' that carry us internally are called she. Like a mother carrying and protecting us. It's a traditional honorific and not related to sissyness nor femininity.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

I think all ships, trains and planes etc., are 'vessels' that carry us internally are called she. Like a mother carrying and protecting us. It's a traditional honorific and not related to sissyness nor femininity.

And it is also bad ass! 

4FG nose art - The Official Site of the 4th Fighter Group - World War II

• Like 3
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, datzenmike said:

It won't ever sound right to me to refer to my cars as females.  I wonder when men started this trend with their vehicles? It couldn't have been pre mid 70s?

Exhibit (A): Is what my mind's eye sees when I hear someone refer to their vehicles as she/her.

Exhibit (B): Well let's be honest. You can't call exhibit B a she/her. That car is Satan incarnate 🤘 👿.

ORd7znJ.jpg     yFA7dv4.jpg

Edited by IZRL
  • Like 1
7 minutes ago, IZRL said:

It won't ever sound right to me to refer to my cars as females.  I wonder when men started this trend with their vehicles? It couldn't have been pre mid 70s?

Exhibit (A): Is what my mind's eye sees when I hear someone refer to their vehicles as she/her.

Exhibit (B): Well let's be honest. You can't call exhibit B a she/her. That car is Satan incarnate 🤘 👿.

Exhibit A, needs to talk to someone...really

Exhibit B, isn't a she or a her, she's a bitch

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, frankendat said:

I have to consider my vehicles females for all the reasons listed by other Ratsuners and for the fact I would never plead with, or softly encourage, another man. 

Pleading? I usually curse the living shit out my cars when I'm trying to work on them and things aren't going as planned, or if they ever leave me stranded.

Edited by IZRL
3 minutes ago, IZRL said:

Pleading? I usually curse the living shit out my cars when I'm trying to work on them and things aren't going as planned, or if they ever leave me stranded.

Pleading comes after cursing or in addition too, when it is late, dark and cold on a nowhere highway in the middle of nothing and you just lost power. You find a lose ground, holding your lighter in one hand and trying to block the wind with your body on the side of the road. The problem is probably fixed, but is there enough juice left in the battery for it to turn over? You know there isn't enough to crank very long, you prime the carb and turn the key. "C'mon baby, you can do it." The engine starts to catch "that's it". Engine starts and stalls "You worthless fucking cunt." etc. Female

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't refer to my vehicles as female or male, I don't even name them. Although I had thought of putting a bumper sticker with "Down with the sickness" on my '74 Corona, not sure how many people would get it. All through my life there have been guy's and a couple ladies that referred to their cars as female, not right or wrong I guess. As for cussing them out and wanting to bust something? Many a time, gendering wouldn't have changed anything about that. So if some wants to call their prized Granada "Geraldine" I'll just smile and try to say something nice without laughing out loud.

• Like 2

Naming a vehicle, ??? I sure don't but some do....  modding Ratsun for 17 has reset what I used to consider weird.

BTW Kimberly (Cleopatra Jones) calls her 210 Stanley......

• Like 2

All of my vehicles have had boys names. My dad usually stuck with the generic ‘the old boy’ whenever one of the Datsuns wasn’t acting right. Stanley has been such since the first day my dad brought him home in 1989. Stanley is generally good but he can act like a jealous bf sometimes. A little story: Some girl ran a stop sign years ago and busted his smile (she hit the bumper and pushed it to the right). She was driving straight and had a stop sign. I was about to make a left and no stop sign. I was wanted to kill her and stuff her in her trunk. Anyway, while Stanley was being fixed I had a rental. I was in college at the time. Stanley is finally ready and I go pick him up from the shop. He had all kinds of pep driving home. He was happy we were driving again until I pulled into the driveway and he saw the rental. I picked up my school books and was heading off to class and suddenly Stanley was just chugga puttin down the road mad I touched another car’s peddles. Jealous bf I tell ya. He got over it once we went back home and I returned the rental. He also knows full well I love him more than my husband. My husband is also aware of this and deals with it. I don’t care if anyone laughs that I’ve named my cars. They’re mine and they are my kids. Especially Stanley. I love that car ❤️

A9A2F65D-F2E1-4362-BBC7-F506C4EC7EC2.jpeg

Edited by Cleopatra Jones
  • Like 2

well i must be somewhere non binary or equal minded LOL

my wife has named all of our cars 

my 510 is blue and male 

my z is Skyla and female 

my roadster is Marvin the Martian obviously male 

my 1200 is Cindy female

my 370z is foxy would you call a boy foxy?

my F350 crew cab long bed 4x4 diesel is Hercules male 

ironically none of my cars have male or female parts  CORRECTED BY KIMBERLY 😀

there are bushings bearings and sleeves cylinders and intakes all could be female 

push rods connecting rods shift rods drive shafts axel shafts and pistons all could be male

LOL and cant forget the nuts and nipples 

Edited by Ranman72
  • Like 1
7 minutes ago, Ranman72 said:

well i must be somewhere non binary or equal minded LOL

my wife has named all of our cars 

my 510 is blue and male 

my z is Skyla and female 

my roadster is Marvin the Martian obviously male 

my 1200 is Cindy female

my 370z is foxy would you call a boy foxy?

my F350 crew cab long bed 4x4 diesel is Hercules male 

ironically non of them have female or male parts 

Actually there are lots of male and female parts in our cars. They might be connectors but they’re in there. ☺️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 4/5/2024 at 5:27 PM, IZRL said:

That second one is definitely ‘Darkness’

0B507D1C-D36F-4323-862A-ED629B6900C4.jpeg

• Like 2
On 4/4/2024 at 8:42 PM, IZRL said:

I have never referred to any of my cars with pronouns! 😂😆🤣

• Like 2

Personally I have never named my vehicles but a buddy's wife took care of that, male or female names and always appropriate in the end.

My '80 LTD Crown Vic fleet special was "Constable Bob" logically. I had swapped out the front bench with Volvo buckets, HO 302, swapped rear axle for more rapid acceleration and MAY have had a magnetic mount bubble strobe 😉...  definately a sleeper

• Like 1
On 4/6/2024 at 5:45 PM, datzenmike said:

Stanley! Do you know how lucky you are?

He knows. He thanks me for keeping him safe in the garage these days cause these people out here drive like some damn lunatics. I’ll be the one going to jail if somebody hit him…..again.

• Haha 2