Abs?

Guest DatsuNoob

Guest DatsuNoob

I was thinking of this tonight as I was driving to work, after some asshole decided to slam on his brakes on the freeway. If I was in my truck, I woulda locked 'em up for sure, and ended up on the guardrail. Wondering how involved of a process it would be to install ABS on a 620? I thought it would be cool to have it on a switch so I can turn it on and off. I'm sure alot of you know, 620 brakes seem to lock up real easy. Just getting ideas for my build.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Be careful. I have serious problems with the big three's commercials about ABS and their computer controlled reactive suspension etc.etc. It's is a great safety device but the ads make it seem like it will keep you from even having an accident... which is BS. If people feel safer they will drive faster and with less caution. No one drives faster just because they have a seat belt on. Its the same with ABS. As long as you know it's and your limitations they are a great device. In a panic stop, when the brake pedal starts to vibrate from an activated ABS you are in serious trouble. It's way too late to wonder if you should have been more careful or going slower.

Your putting a LOT of work into that 620... so when you drive it, take it easy. Don't fall victim of being in a rush or getting angry about a few feet of road, its not worth it. You don't need ABS, when you get the truck on the road drive slower and more carefully... Look at Hainz, hes been driving datsuns since before I was born (JK OLD MAN!! HAHA)... and thus far no reports of locking up the brakes and smashing one.

Just remember this. With standard brakes, on an icy intersection if you slide you fishtail into traffic and have a good chance that you will get creamed in the rear and walk away. With ABS you slide head first into the intersection and will get T boned, right in your driver's door. You might not walk away. Bottom line, follow to 2 or 3 second rule, increase distance in winter. Don't wait until you get to the intersection before starting to slow down. There is a place for tire chains, if it's that bad, unless it's an emergency stay home.

All things equal, ABS will stop you faster.... keep this in mind when following too close behind a newer vehicle. He can stop in a shorter distance than you.

When I raised my 620 and installed 33" tires I drastically altered it's ability to stop. The added 600-800 lb didn't help. Had a few wake-ups at stop lights. I approached at what I thought a normal speed but had to press harder and harder, the weight transfers to the front and the rears lock up for the last 10 feet with a big screech and you look like an idiot. Wet roads were way worse causing a side to side slide. I adjusted for a year, by leaving 4-5 car lengths. On someones advice I got and installed a Willwood adjustable pressure valve in line to the back. I just kept turning the pressure down till the back brakes would just start lock with the fronts. Now I can cram on the binders with out worry about rear lock up and the back skating around. Wet pavement is much improved.

I have studded tires on my Z now... someone slammed on their brakes to avoid a BBQ in the road yesturday (they could see it in front of them for a mile) I had to brake and release 3 times to keep those tractionless tires from skidding.

Good solid disc brakes and good tires should be enough.

Back to the original question, If you were to install front spindles and a rear differential from a Frontier, that should give you the wheel speed sensors to run the ABS system. Now you would have to get all the brake fluid plumbing correctly installed to an ABS pump system and get it the proper power system. This would be a huge project to take on, and most likely would be expensive before it was all done.

Jason

Guest DatsuNoob
I have 4-wheel discs on my 620, so I have no idea what your whining about. ;) abs is gay, and I hate it on my 05 xterra, just a nuisance.

Wow! go easy dude, I was just stating that 620 brakes lock up like a S.O.B. This is my 3rd vehicle w/out ABS, and I've noticed how stopping is so much better on a newer car like my crappy Toyota. That's all. I always maintain a fair stopping distance between myself and other drivers. I cant stand it when people cut into my gap, or get in front of me and hit their brakes. I think every 620 owner would agree that the stock braking system of a 620 has major room for improvement. I will be getting all wheel discs in the future.

I didnt say to swap the entire axle assembly, swap the differential third member. The rear sensor is in the top of the third member.

Assumed the Frontier had something larger than the H-190 in it. Doesn't it run the larger H-233 or C200 like a Hardbody or Path?

My understanding is that the early 4 cylinder frontiers still used the H190 and the 6 cylinder trucks used the larger rearend. It should be completely possible to use the H190 from a later D21 because some of them also had rear wheel abs. But the front abs didn't appear until the frontier to the best of my knowledge. Some serious research would need done on this to get this completed. Research beyond our little internet discussions.

Newer cars have better brake systems than anything from the 70s, even ignoring the ABS. That being said, since I own nothing with ABS and seldom drive cars with it I've found that I get a a lot of trougbe WITH ABS than without it, and I don't drive cars with ABS thinking it'll stop better. My Dad's Durango ABS system engaged when I thought it shouldn't have (I guess one wheel wanted to lock on some leaves by the curb) and I almost went through an intersection because of it. You could feel the brakes let go.

And I absolutely hate the rear-only ABS on trucks. My Mom's Ranger has rear ABS. The auto MFGs spent years and millions telling everyone ABS let you "stomp and steer". Then put ABS in a truck in the back only, and you plow headlong when the fronts lock and you can't steer at all. Ran into a bulkhead that way. My fault for taking the turn too fast, but when I felt the pedal pulse I didn't helease the brake to turn as I normally would have.

Wow! go easy dude, I was just stating that 620 brakes lock up like a S.O.B. This is my 3rd vehicle w/out ABS, and I've noticed how stopping is so much better on a newer car like my crappy Toyota. That's all. I always maintain a fair stopping distance between myself and other drivers. I cant stand it when people cut into my gap, or get in front of me and hit their brakes. I think every 620 owner would agree that the stock braking system of a 620 has major room for improvement. I will be getting all wheel discs in the future.

That was easy, I have a rough sense of humor. meant nothing by it buddy. I know how the stock braking is on these muthas, that's why I provide the services that I do. Nobody respects our rigs, and just cuts us off or passes us all the time assuming that these are slow pieces of shit.

That's why I love it when I can blow the doors off of some new overpriced piece of shit with my rattlecanned datsun!