RADIATOR OUT OF STOCK EVERYWHERE

Messi720D

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All on in daylight, you can see I'm in the cut off zone on the low beams. If you go a foot lower the outer pair are as bright as the inner

mUKI084.jpg

They don't look that much different that the stock tungsten bulbs, if anything somewhat like BMW ellipsoids?

wnUzJjC.jpg

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/4/2022 at 11:15 AM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

It seems that our younger generation is not aware that parts retail stores or repair services for the various components of older cars and trucks even exist. How many times have we told people to "try the Nissan dealer" when looking for parts? Every major (and most minor) city has a radiator shop. The problem with re-coring a radiator may be the cost, and there also may be some core availability issues right now, but even so, I have never paid more than $400 for a re-core job at a radiator shop.

In Phoenix, AZ

image.thumb.png.194858c239eb52139807eea6bd256355.png

Yes! I tried to have my radiator recored and was given an estimate that was like 1200. I don't remember the exact number but it was an f off price. Told me recore is most often done on large equipment. But 94 Acura Integra rad fit my 84 720 with minimal modding ports all in the right places 

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I'm about to have my rebuilt here in OC, California.  I'll let you all know what it costs here.  I will try a couple local shops, and go from there.  

Figure, one will give me a FU price, and one will give a price to help pay the workers.   Should be interesting

• 7 months later...

Hey guys so my father has a 81 Datsun and our radiator sadly gave out. To confirm yes a radiator from a 83 and above won’t work. It is a bit taller making it look like a square while the Z22 radiator is more of a rectangle shape (skinnier). We engine swapped my dads engine in case any one is wondering why it’s a 81 with a Z24. The radiator keeps the engine a lot cooler for reference it would stay at 1/4 and now it’s even below that! I got the radiator at

Advanced Auto Parts here is the link. Also it is a direct bolt on. Merry Christmas!

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/carquest-premium-radiator-810692/10436817-P?navigationPath=L1*81538|L2*81760|L3*-49999114

22-D5-D576-DCAB-4492-AA5-A-8151823283-E3

E86-BF31-F-D6-AB-4-C4-F-BFEA-DAD98-B8-EC

F1-EAFE0-F-4-BDA-4759-B5-B3-913-AD838324

5 hours ago, Damnsun 720 said:

The radiator keeps the engine a lot cooler for reference it would stay at 1/4 and now it’s even below that!

Glad you got the radiator sorted but the temperature your describing sounds like the engine never truly warms up....

Should be at least half way on the gauge.... lower than a 1/4 your in the cold zone..... 

You may wanna check and or replace your thermostat,  it could be stuck open ....

I think you can check the temperature on the hoses too for reference... if the top one starts to heat up right away.   

7 hours ago, Damnsun 720 said:

The radiator keeps the engine a lot cooler for reference it would stay at 1/4 and now it’s even below that! I got the radiator at

I would definitely skip to the chase and replace the thermostat. A new 180F and spend over $5 so you get a good one. The Z series engines are designed to run best and give good performance and mileage when warmed up to over 180F. Cold oil does not lubricate as well and it's thicker, harder to run with. Needle should read at about 1/2 perhaps a needle width above.

If antifreeze is over 3-5 years now is the time to change it. ALWAYS mix and top up with distilled water.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/22/2023 at 5:45 AM, datzenmike said:

I would definitely skip to the chase and replace the thermostat. A new 180F and spend over $5 so you get a good one. The Z series engines are designed to run best and give good performance and mileage when warmed up to over 180F. Cold oil does not lubricate as well and it's thicker, harder to run with. Needle should read at about 1/2 perhaps a needle width above.

If antifreeze is over 3-5 years now is the time to change it. ALWAYS mix and top up with distilled water.

Long story short we put my dads engine in and I got a 180F thermostat. The temperature is right in the middle now. In response to crashd420 my dad actually deleted the thermostat years ago and since then the truck has always ran at 1/4. I’m not sure if that’s abnormal or not but that’s how it’s been going for 12+ years. Thank you again for your guys output 

• Like 1

Nissan/Datsun engines are designed to operate at about 185F. This is their optimum temperature where the expanded parts are now at their proper clearances. Oil is another factor. Cold oil does not lubricate as well as hot. It's also thicker and robs power. For an engine to run efficiently the fuel must fully vaporize on the way from the carburetor through the intake, the ports in the head and past the valves and into the combustion chamber. If these parts are not hot you will have poor milage and performance.