RADIATOR OUT OF STOCK EVERYWHERE

Messi720D

Anyone ever deal with this company (See link below)

They custom build the heater core. Little pricey, but since I'm doing a complete rebuild, I think I'd rather go brand new then taking a chance on a used one. Especially since replacing them is an absolute pain in the ass.

https://www.radiatorexpress.com/product/all/nissan/1986/720/base/24l-l4/220642/1210385

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 hours ago, Thomas Perkins said:

Heater cores are no more,gone with the wind.Got me a new complete heating and air cause no more heater cores.Are you be willing to go the route i did and get a custom made system.All the junkie Nissan stuff will be gone and no more headaches..

I found these guys who do a new custom build ---> https://www.radiatorexpress.com/product/all/nissan/1986/720/base/24l-l4/220642/1210385

Looking into them now. They seem legit, been around since 1970.

I have replaced many radiators on my 85 720 and water pumps.They are easy to do.What is a job is replacing the heater core.Long time ago,i bought my radiator from Auto Zone that ha a lifetime warranty.As long as they keep selling them I will get them free,if they discontinue them,they will refund my money like they did the heater cores.They can't be found nowhere new.

On 12/16/2022 at 8:05 PM, Thomas Perkins said:

I have replaced many radiators on my 85 720 and water pumps.They are easy to do.What is a job is replacing the heater core.Long time ago,i bought my radiator from Auto Zone that ha a lifetime warranty.As long as they keep selling them I will get them free,if they discontinue them,they will refund my money like they did the heater cores.They can't be found nowhere new.

Just keep in mind that those "Lifetime Warranties" they offer only count for (1) replacement, not perpetual. I learned that with my '88 Blazer.  

• 3 weeks later...

I went with HID rather than LED. The reason was to get good LED lighting it's at least a couple of hundred per bulb. I like the instant on of LED but not the price. Amazon and others make absolutely ridiculously bloated luminosity claims and the beam pattern (not blinding oncoming traffic) only works properly if you use reflector style lenses.    

The LED vs Halogen topic is one that really bothers me. Everyone claims their LED lights are great, but offer almost zero actual specs. I've called manufacturers and tried to get spec, but guess what - most get back to me with no specs and more bullshit.

So I am with you Mike. While LEDs sound great, I would rather use an H4 style Halogen. And for that matter, there are not especially legal H4 style bulbs that fit into H4 housings. They come in 60/80 watt, 70/90, 80/110 and more. Expect to install a relay with anything hotter than the standard H4 bulbs.

For what it's worth, H4 is actually a generic industry term and most "H4" bulbs are actually a 9003 variant - https://www.emanualonline.com/blog/h4-vs-9003-bulbs/

I've been installing H4 style reflectors and bulbs in my builds lately and unless LED technology becomes more transparent (see what I did there), I won't be using them any time soon.

6 hours ago, datzenmike said:

I went with HID rather than LED. The reason was to get good LED lighting it's at least a couple of hundred per bulb. I like the instant on of LED but not the price. Amazon and others make absolutely ridiculously bloated luminosity claims and the beam pattern (not blinding oncoming traffic) only works properly if you use reflector style lenses.    

The aesthetic look of most LED's is terrible, at least to my eye.  I too worry about the beam pattern, why?  Honestly not sure.  Around here, seems too many drivers use their high beams full time at night.

This looks a little off, but not terrible.  @ $175 ea, and a full tank of California gasoline, I'd about double the value of my truck.

4" x 6" LED Rectangular Headlight High Or Low Beam - Raney's Truck Parts (raneystruckparts.com)

6" x 4" LED Rectangular Headlight High Or Low Beam

Since we are going way off topic (I may have started it) My brother in law was and engineer at Trucklight and gifted me a set of LEDs for my 68 beetle. They retailed for over $400 at the time I never would have spent that but since they were a gift I installed and loved them. Even my ebay ones in my 720 and highlander are much better than stock. Let's see if we get a reply from the op.

4 hours ago, Thomas Perkins said:

I like my Stock lights.I replaced all my front and back when I had it painted.Just replaced the wiring in the front head lights and covers.

Out here in no-man's-land, the nights are dark. And when it rains, all bets are off. Normal headlights don't compare with new car headlights and I often find myself using the LED light bar (which is illegal) to be able to see. I do turn it off when oncoming cars approach (I'm not a dick). So unless your stock lights are halogen, they don't really do the job.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, 720_Jeff said:

The aesthetic look of most LED's is terrible, at least to my eye.  I too worry about the beam pattern, why?  Honestly not sure.  Around here, seems too many drivers use their high beams full time at night.

This looks a little off, but not terrible.  @ $175 ea, and a full tank of California gasoline, I'd about double the value of my truck.

4" x 6" LED Rectangular Headlight High Or Low Beam - Raney's Truck Parts (raneystruckparts.com)

6" x 4" LED Rectangular Headlight High Or Low Beam

You and I share the same concerns. I HATE the look of most LED lights. Which is why I have adopted the use of Hella or Koito euro spec lights.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, bottomwatcher said:

Since we are going way off topic (I may have started it) My brother in law was and engineer at Trucklight and gifted me a set of LEDs for my 68 beetle. They retailed for over $400 at the time I never would have spent that but since they were a gift I installed and loved them. Even my ebay ones in my 720 and highlander are much better than stock. Let's see if we get a reply from the op.

Yes, waaaaay off topic. It's Ratsun.

Over $400 is starting to get into the reasonably good range for LED bulbs. The problem is the cut off is easier to achieve if the light source is from a single point source and not several long LED strips. LEDs require large heat sinks to draw away the heat produced and like I said all manufacturers lie about the light levels produced. Look on you tube for actual light levels and beam patterns. Some are even worse than the halogen they replace. When you find a good one the price is well over $200 each.

Blinded? Those are probably stock enclosures with HID conversion bulbs or basically a stock bulb that is 5 times brighter spraying light everywhere. The correct ones for low beam have what looks like a magnifying glass lens. Inside is a bulb and a 'fence' that blocks the light on the bottom half. The lens simply flips the image upside down producing a shaded area to the top now. I find HID basically driving with two arc welders and in acuality that is exactly what is happening inside the bulb. On a dark street all you see of pedestrians are their knees down. The light is around 5,500 kelvin or sunlight temperature (our eyes evolved to see in sunlight) so colors are correct unlike halogen which are closer to 3,000k. You think grass is green and center lines yellow now? try seeing them in HID light.  I have four of them on my 710, the high beams have the fence removed for light above the horizontal plane. Cold, it takes about 5 seconds to reach full brightness, unlike LEDs instant on. Once hot, the high beams will come on instantly after dimming to let a car pass but if they do cool off there is a few second delay. They draw about 50 watts each but are much more efficient that a filament bulb which wastes energy as heat.      

• Like 1

Read what datsunmike said in the post directly above. What he said is spot-on. The only LED people I fully trust are from Headlight Revolution, but I have never bought anything from them yet. They do show the beam pattern for each LED, and for HID's, and explain why they like or dislike it though, which is part of the reason why I trust them, sort of. The price for good LED's is slowly coming down, but there are a lot of them on the market so you have to have somebody in the know available, and trust them a lot.

Don

• Like 1
17 hours ago, NC85ST said:

I hope 999.00 is not the correct price!

Holy Shit! $205.00 on 11/21/22. maybe I got the last one from that seller? with some sleuthing you can see they took images from Spawon

I am at the moment satisfied with my $61.99 ebay purchase. haven't put them to the test but concede there are far superior light sources out there.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Out here in no-man's-land, the nights are dark. And when it rains, all bets are off. Normal headlights don't compare with new car headlights and I often find myself using the LED light bar (which is illegal) to be able to see. I do turn it off when oncoming cars approach (I'm not a dick). So unless your stock lights are halogen, they don't really do the job.

Yep same here with the offroad lights on the road. The 720 lives in rural Maine and there are very few cars on the roads at night especially the backroads and the woods seem absorb as much light as you can throw at them. It's a special kind of dark. The skunks, porcupines, deer and the occasional Moose makes up the nightshift using the roads and they don't use headlights. I roll bright and slow. The LEDs also seem to make thier eyes light up a special kind of glow.

• Like 1

Can only imaging that driving in slow is easier with HID. Certainly is in rain. Less light shines above the cut off so rain (and snow) are less noticeable on low beams. No warp speed effect. Also road signs reflect less brilliantly on low beams which is good for the night vision. I have noticed that when turning hi beams off after a long run with them on it's like turning your lights off!!! Suddenly everything above horizontal is dark.   

I should have been more specific. It's the glare off the road surface in the rain that makes it impossible to see, especially when there's an oncoming vehicle.

Like you said, when you dim the high beams, it's like turning off the lights.

I ran across this guy a while back - https://www.danielsternlighting.com/home.html   He's got some excellent info.

14 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I should have been more specific. It's the glare off the road surface in the rain that makes it impossible to see, especially when there's an oncoming vehicle.

Like you said, when you dim the high beams, it's like turning off the lights.

I ran across this guy a while back - https://www.danielsternlighting.com/home.html   He's got some excellent info.

No offense but that seems pretty dated info. This stuff is evolving so fast anything over about 2 years old in the led world is history. The company I work for is finally converting all their navigation lights and replacing our fluorescent bulbs with LEDs on their tugboats. We have the additional lag time of waiting for Coast Guard approved products but what a difference in lighting and so far durability. Vibration is a killer on incandescents and changing bulbs was common every port call. It's only been a few months but haven't had to change a bulb since.

• Like 1

For what I am trying to achieve, avoiding LEDs is part of my design. Unless they can make the LED look like high quality glass refelctors, I don't want to install them. I have seen LEDs with Hella style lenses, and I would like to give those a try.

As far as the light quality and brightness, high end "off road" LEDs are really good. I understand that, but when it comes to direct fit automotive lighting, the aftermarket fails us.

Back to the radiator's.So if you buy them 999.00 Aluminum one's.They are very thick and look's as the fan shroud will not fit.I have a life time warranty on mine too as long as the Auto part store can keep getting them.Usually the top plastic like I have gets a pin hole in it in time.Not many people have over a grand laying around.The fan will be real close to the radiator and hard to get the fan on.