Who remembers these bottles

edekalil

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For topping up the oil. I imaging oil was decanted from a larger drum to fill it. A little before my time but would see them in old service stations. When I learned to drive oil was in metal cans and the spout with a piercer was stabbed into it and then set into the valve cover to drain....

Old Oil Can Spout

• Like 1

Wines of Canada Gallery Days gone By

I remember Turner's Old Sailor (sherry) "come alive for dollar five." IIRC about 18%. Drank two bottles myself one night barfed down the side of my car. It was winter and friend drove me home in my car. Frozen puke on side I didn't see for the rest of the week. Was sick as fuck and guts weren't right for 3 days after. Garth used to tease me that a piece of carrot dotted the I on Dart Swinger. Lesson learned. 

(I threw up in my mouth a little looking at the picture)

• Like 1

I use to pump gas here in Georgia in 77 and everywhere  was full service.We use to check oil,Transmission and power steering fluid.Oh,and clean the windshield.We had water hoses and air hoses which was free.We used them metal things to pierce the cans.Back then people weren't picky about what kind of oil you gave them and most gas tank fillers was behind the rear license plate.Some gas stations with the repair shop there had the cord across the way where you drove over it and a bell would ring to let them know someone needs gas.And if you were a smoker,you could put your money in the machine and get you a pack of cigarettes.I think it was 50 cents.The good ole days.Hot rods everywhere.

Edited by Thomas Perkins
  • Like 3

My first job was in a full service gas station. We would change belts, windshield wipers and even tires. Things are a bit different now days.

We had a stack of oil cans in the window. Always reminded me of Navin R Johnson.

He Hates These Cans! : r/GenX

Edited by Stoffregen Motorsports
  • Like 2
On 12/22/2021 at 9:39 AM, edekalil said:

Who remembers these bottles and what they are for.

A958-A915-9-DDF-49-D2-95-A1-D2-E186777-E

I use mine all the time.  Buying oil in 5 quart jugs that you can't tip to pour in that little valve cover hole without spilling everywhere necessitates them.  Use it to measure and then dispense, and don't need a funnel.

• Like 3
On 12/22/2021 at 9:42 AM, datzenmike said:

For topping up the oil. I imaging oil was decanted from a larger drum to fill it. A little before my time but would see them in old service stations. When I learned to drive oil was in metal cans and the spout with a piercer was stabbed into it and then set into the valve cover to drain....

Old Oil Can Spout

Have one of these too.  Funny how this newer version has become superfluous and I still use the older version.

• Like 2

When I began to drive my Ford T the local gas station had those bottles for used oil at $0.10 quart.  New oil was decanted from 55 gal drums into a 4 qt can with handle and plunger that opened the flex line coming from the bottom of the 4 qt can. I still have a 2qt can.

• Like 3