Front coil over conversion

SPIDERSHACKOV

Could you modify the lower control arm to lower the shock mounting location? I see about two inches there.

Theory is great, but there's also this thing called packaging. I've had people ask me what suspension design software I use on my link suspensions and I tell them that software is only good for basic layout. It still has to fit in the truck.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, FrankRizzo said:

Sorry for the late reply Jon, I get 7.7 degrees sitting static.

You'll see my coil adjustments are maxed out to the bottom and the truck is still too high... and I have massive mad caster where the top of the wheels tip out..so that is why im trying the Belltech drop spindles.

Let me know how you figure out the swaybar mount. We could not get mine to fit with the rod ends he supplies....

yAH7FgJ.jpg

Camber. Could you remove both adjustable upper control arms and shorten the blue parts marked JOES? Now you can turn the ends in, reducing the top wheel tilt. Once in you'll have to align the toe

10 hours ago, FrankRizzo said:

Sorry - camber...but the caster is probably fucked up too. 🙂

Thanks for the suggestions. Very helpful. I'm going to try the drop spindles first. Im not a fan of the coilover adjustments being completely maxed out.

lydMkIc.jpg

I could be wrong be I think the drop spindle will fix your ride height but not the camber issue.....

You wont be altering any suspension geometry just the location of the wheel....

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

I could be wrong be I think the drop spindle will fix your ride height but not the camber issue.....

You wont be altering any suspension geometry just the location of the wheel....

If he adds the drop spindle, then adjusts the coilover's, does that change the geometry?

46 minutes ago, RustedRails said:

If he adds the drop spindle, then adjusts the coilover's, does that change the geometry?

The height of the coilover does effect it, but I dont think his current coilovers will allow for any more adjustment...  if he did a shorter coilover that would lower the truck and tip the top of the tires in .... 

he might still have to shim or adjust the upper control arm to really set the camber after the desired ride height is achieved..

On 9/14/2020 at 1:43 PM, FrankRizzo said:

You'll see my coil adjustments are maxed out to the bottom and the truck is still too high... and I have massive mad caster where the top of the wheels tip out..so that is why im trying the Belltech drop spindles.

Let me know how you figure out the swaybar mount. We could not get mine to fit with the rod ends he supplies....

yAH7FgJ.jpg

Did you think about a shorter spring? That would move the adjustable perches up the body  and there for allow you to lower them further. It will lower the truck as you do so... you may want to run a helper spring to keep tension on the whole system when fully extended. If you want to keep your current ride height it wont help, but seems like your ride height is beyond what was "stock" or last shimmed/aligned too. I didnt read through the whole thread yet.. but just a thought.

I essentially have the same problem of maxxed out coilover adjustment on my 510, but I still want to go lower, so I picked up a shorter spring to move the adjustable perches up higher on the body so I can therefore lower them further.

Also looks like maybe you have less shock travel then suspension travel? If you remove the spring do you bottom out the shock before the arm hits the bump? - tough to say from the photo, but that would mean you compressed length is too long.

• Like 1

Thanks^ A+

I thought by getting the lower spring perch into the middle of the coilover range rather than maxed out at the bottom, it might help tip the wheels back out....

Im into the drop spindles already, so im going to try it if nothing else to get it more moderate...

Sorry to Jack Jon's thread....

• Like 1

You all need to consider travel. If the shock is more adjustable, or a shorter spring is used, will there be enough travel?

Ideally, you would have a long shock with lots of travel, and the suspension only limited by the bump stop. In a perfect world, the amount of travel on the shock and spring would be the same as the amount at the bumpstop, but the bumpstop should do the limiting, not the shock.

• Like 1

Looks like I'll be cutting everything out and doing it over again....Chuck hacked my truck. 😪.

I found a great local guy that specializes in custom suspension. I think we are going to do shorter springs and shocks in conjunction with the drop spindles.

Lower ball joint looking odd...

rSRpfxX.jpg

kjxB6Qo.jpg

Might have a little interference....

PJKqdg5.jpg

Coil rubs the bracket...

40VksMw.jpg

Bonus points - weld cracking at the bottom @ 50 miles....

1Asz9Ma.jpg

Im actually thankful I made it home...!

• Sad 2
On 9/14/2020 at 10:43 AM, FrankRizzo said:

yAH7FgJ.jpg

And your top control arm is adjusted all the way with no room and you can clearly see the top of the wheel hanging out.

1 hour ago, FrankRizzo said:

Looks like I'll be cutting everything out and doing it over again....Chuck hacked my truck. 😪.

I found a great local guy that specializes in custom suspension. I think we are going to do shorter springs and shocks in conjunction with the drop spindles.

Lower ball joint looking odd...

rSRpfxX.jpg

kjxB6Qo.jpg

Might have a little interference....

PJKqdg5.jpg

Coil rubs the bracket...

40VksMw.jpg

Bonus points - weld cracking at the bottom @ 50 miles....

1Asz9Ma.jpg

Im actually thankful I made it home...!

Wow man I am so sorry, I like Chuck but that is terrible. Thats why I use my guy, none of these issues at all. well it will be right soon.

• Like 1