620KC on 720 bare frame build

Poking away at the gauge wiring today, and tidying things up a bit.

IMG_8830.thumb.jpg.c1540de57af564ea340119ba9a545c40.jpg

1752913771_IMG_8831(2).thumb.jpg.471e2fe95dba13ed59900585f89fd31d.jpg

I may decide yet to forgo the second terminal block and just have those thin gauge wires got directly into a connector, but with respect to the overall short length of the idiot light wires I may continue with the terminals and connect the plug to it.

I've run stainless wire through the center of the modular terminal blocks to tie them together.

If anything ever needs to be serviced, the whole panel can be pulled from the front so it's much better to have this all routed and attached to the gauge panel.

This weekend is the Victoria Day long weekend (Monday is a holiday) and I'm heading off to visit family & friends, take in some garage tours that are sure to be impressive.

• Like 3
  • Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have you considered using connector housings instead of the terminal strip you have? Deutsch makes connector housings with as many as 36 pins. Or you could split them up into two or three Molex connectors to save money. Molex stuff is available at any Fry's or on Amazon. Molex connectors are great for inside the cab or engine bay. Deutsch are good where weather, water or chemicals may be a problem.

You can buy a starter kit here - https://www.amazon.com/Molex-Power-Connector-0-093-Gauge/dp/B07ZY9BQ16/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=Molex%2BConnectors&qid=1653411532&sr=8-3&th=1

Then you'll need a crimp tool - https://www.amazon.com/Molex-Crimper/s?k=Molex+Crimper

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I've reworked the terminal strip and will stick with this approach as it allows me to group all the electrical sections accordingly, plus if for any reason I have to service anything, I can pull the whole panel out then just disconnect 3 Molex connectors (on order).

IMG_8879.thumb.jpg.4504743e09c3ad62be8a8193086f3eeb.jpg

The instruments are essentially completed now, back to working on the dash cracks so I can move forward to focus on the wiring harness. Because there really isn't anything on this build that OE stock, I have to enlarge the firewall hole to fit the larger wiring harness through from the cab. If possible, I'll make up some kind of cover to "hide" as much of the harness as possible in the engine bay.

I really need to refocus on the build as I have so many different tasks underway, everything needing something else completed in order to finish off. On the good side, many tasks will suddenly be completed and I'll feel less stressed.

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...

Had some time to work on the wiring harness layout, a few connections don't quite reach the new locations so a bit of extensions will be needed. The larger fuse panel also will need a slightly newer place to live.

IMG_9183.thumb.jpg.bcc5fc4f88acd5ab7554532bde276545.jpg

IMG_9184.thumb.jpg.21a5213a88ed7e26c989301225f706f2.jpg

The console test fit is good with some further adjustment on the shifter hole, also getting the general revised wiring layout.

IMG_9185.thumb.jpg.3c837d6c84173841fb96e1bc245fc6fe.jpg

Also have been still mucking about with the dash cracks, think I may be satisfied enough with this. A bit more finishing and they're leveling out pretty good. You'll be able to identify most but some are finishing out better.

IMG_9187.thumb.jpg.65e6c02b0b6527d3c69eb883b246969c.jpgIMG_9187.thumb.jpg.65e6c02b0b6527d3c69eb883b246969c.jpg

Coils have a temporary home while I further sort out the engine bay wiring, and the carbon can location yet TBD.

• Like 3

Well my dash sure isn't as pretty as Rizzo's but ah it's good er better than originally, and since I hadn't ever intended on putting the 620 dash back in (or budgeted for that) this is gonna do. I might end up wrapping it in fresh vinyl later on. Hmmm, kinda like why I don't do bodywork.

Before vs After (excuse the cobbled up photo)

1775805309_dashfull.png.de9ad25312bb1e80e942991d63e3aadf.png

IMG_9235.thumb.jpg.6b76ebe67b3aed02b9bb968e01791419.jpg

BTW, have the 620 instruments, panel, wire harness, and column cover available if anyone needs.

Remade glovebox fits up good, will mount that up onto the metal frame with the new hinge. Might even put in some tiny glovebox lights since only needs a contact switch.

IMG_9240.thumb.jpg.ae98a7260294e66895f51b13b6640487.jpg

Could say it fits like a glove, but that's plain cheesy

Messing about with the console, as mentioned previously I had to relocate the shifter hole 5" forward (feels better in that position) so trying some different options.

IMG_9239.thumb.jpg.840094b5aaf17ea4e1e5239d4fa2480a.jpg

IMG_9188.thumb.jpg.0167e5f552fc2fb14ac43c7ebe884e71.jpg

Think I did something else today, maybe...

• Like 4
8 minutes ago, EDM620 said:

BTW, have the 620 instruments, panel, wire harness, and column cover available if anyone needs.

And I'm gonna be moving in the near future - some stuff might end up gone forever. Hmmmm got a gas tank too plus a std cab roof skin. OE steering wheels for 620 & 720, 720 dash and all the ductwork (non AC)

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Almost have the overhead completed now, new headliner on hand with 1 support hoop for the sunroof and that's complete. Oh, after I paint the A & B pillars...

IMG_9276.thumb.jpg.9a1475e4c12976a28fb8627795625735.jpg

Ducky is doing some awesome 3D printing for me, several custom pieces to finish off things. Bonus points if you can figure out what that is

Capture.thumb.PNG.f52038f1336a7f86a12f0c76bf99feac.PNG

My move will be happening soon so further progress will have to take a break, gotta set up the new shop first.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

I've been blessed / cursed with a move over the past while which means I haven't had any time for working on the truck, but I figured I should post some kind of update so you don't think I fell off the earth or something...

I recently hauled the project over to the new garage (slightly more square footage but smaller in cubic space) while attempting to get the space organized into more useful than the old place.

IMG_9604.thumb.jpg.ec7d0998df16af486ada50c436f8b566.jpg

While off-loading from the car trailer, I didn't take all precautions and the truck got away on us, quickly bouncing over the 2x4's I'd thrown down as my "stopper" and nailing the garage door, buckling the door and wreaking havoc on every single hinge and the side rails.

IMG_9601.thumb.jpg.871e84364c6abd8206c312fd27052033.jpg

IMG_9602.thumb.jpg.cfe5fd5fce7144e7870305934589f4d7.jpg

I had a strorm brewing so after getting the project tucked away into it's side, I took the door apart and with some screws temorarily erected the door panels. The next day was Thanksgiving Monday which I spent straightening all the door hardware and did my best to get the worst of the bend outta the bent door panels. Later, I had some time to re-assemble the door and had it working pretty good (even sealed against the floor better than before), so things were looking up. Then Murphy showed up.

Skipping over some of the story (translate = I F'd up stuff), the door came crashing down, crushing the tip of a finger between the panels & I was unable to lift the door with one hand only (insulated steel door is over 400 pounds), rupturing my bicep in the process. Next week I get to go for surgery to repair my arm.

Progress on the project might be awhile as I have another "scheduled" surgery pending next month...

IMG_9603.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
2 hours ago, EDM620 said:

I've been blessed / cursed with a move over the past while which means I haven't had any time for working on the truck, but I figured I should post some kind of update so you don't think I fell off the earth or something...

I recently hauled the project over to the new garage (slightly more square footage but smaller in cubic space) while attempting to get the space organized into more useful than the old place.

IMG_9604.thumb.jpg.ec7d0998df16af486ada50c436f8b566.jpg

While off-loading from the car trailer, I didn't take all precautions and the truck got away on us, quickly bouncing over the 2x4's I'd thrown down as my "stopper" and nailing the garage door, buckling the door and wreaking havoc on every single hinge and the side rails.

IMG_9601.thumb.jpg.871e84364c6abd8206c312fd27052033.jpg

IMG_9602.thumb.jpg.cfe5fd5fce7144e7870305934589f4d7.jpg

I had a strorm brewing so after getting the project tucked away into it's side, I took the door apart and with some screws temorarily erected the door panels. The next day was Thanksgiving Monday which I spent straightening all the door hardware and did my best to get the worst of the bend outta the bent door panels. Later, I had some time to re-assemble the door and had it working pretty good (even sealed against the floor better than before), so things were looking up. Then Murphy showed up.

Skipping over some of the story (translate = I F'd up stuff), the door came crashing down, crushing the tip of a finger between the panels & I was unable to lift the door with one hand only (insulated steel door is over 400 pounds), rupturing my bicep in the process. Next week I get to go for surgery to repair my arm.

Progress on the project might be awhile as I have another "scheduled" surgery pending next month...

IMG_9603.jpg

Ouch!

• 6 months later...

Holy crap I haven't posted for awhile. Been too damn busy with everything else. Arm repaired all good, had another hip surgery (lucky #7) so been hard at work ever since - work work.

Did a trip out to Halifax in March, delivered a 2T Ram 5500 deck (not my favorite ride) so was a lot of saddle time. Finally got (97% everything) my garage and house emptied out which translates to stuffed garage. Still need to build a new shed for all that plus lawn and camping gear.

Taking stock of all that needs to be completed and prioritizing for getting hands dirty again.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Progress has been halted for a while and will remain so until spring, as the garage I have has some foundation issues that have to be corrected. Thought I could live with the issues but found additional issues as time passed. No sense putting lipstick on a pig. Have committed to pull the plug, demolish the old and build new, solving compliance issues plus eliminating other construction details that didn't meet code.

New garage only slightly more square footage (county size maximum limit) but re-gaining the height plus some extra that I'd sacrificed with my move. Added bonus is there will no longer be any garden equipment or camping stuff in the new garage - totally my shop space except for parking the wife's car - my new "flex" space.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Yesterday was a big day, finished packing all my stuff up and had movers come pack it all into a storage container which promptly was taken off site to storage.

Garage is virtually empty now except the project which is packed up and ready for it's own storage.

IMG_0603.thumb.jpg.9f81c1ca744861da176c768c0286f26c.jpg IMG_0601.thumb.jpg.68756301fe4d207cfbe9daa9efe35000.jpg

I'm salvaging a few things (light fixtures etc) but the next step is now demolition.

• Like 3

Land has a slope and one corner a large section had broken off and shifting away. Opposite side was an addition not well done, falling the other way. No sense a better building on a crap foundation. Good thing is I get to build what I want within size restrictions. Fingers crossed completed before the white shit.