This is Just a Little Weird.....

My Wife & I were walking around downtown Roanoke yesterday.

While walking on the sidewalk,I noticed a car part at the dirt base of one

of the small trees.Upon closer examination,I noticed that it was a taillight -

base for an early MGB,in near perfect condition.

Since I have a '67 MGB GT,I scored a nice part - for FREE!

Anyone else ever had an experience like that? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I always check glove boxes. Found a new in the box U joint in a scrapped 620 that fit perfectly in my pocket!

Years ago I was in the scrap metal yard and saw (after passing it 3-4 times in the last month) what looked like an L valve cover so I walked over. The fenders, struts, doors hood were removed and an excavator has squashed it down to save space so it was easy to overlook. I guess I happened to see it from the wrong angle before. Turns out to be a Z car. Asked the yard owner how much for anything I wanted off of it and leave the rest. He says $30...deal! Steering wheel and 5 speed (they were used on my 620 for about 10 years and are now on my 710) clutch/PP and flywheel, gear reduction starter, 50 amp alternator, driveshaft (for the U joints), wiper motor, PS box, EFI fuel pump, lots of hoses, dash switches, and handfuls of assorted nuts and bolts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was put mountain biking and came across a 69 Buick Skylark parked on side of gravel road. It had been there for years. It had a nice straight front bumper. I went home and got all tools needed to remove it and proceeded to go get it. The car sat there for 

a few more years and disappeared when the area got logged. 

Edited by ratpatrol66
  • Like 2

Solved! - Stopped by Union Jack,a British car repair shop,

about a block up the street.Turns out a guy was trailering his MG MIdget

to the shop,when the taillight assembly came loose & fell off.MGB & Midget

share the same taillight assembly.

The owner of the shop was surprised when I told him.I'll be returning

the part to the owner of midget,as it belongs to him.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I hit a wrecking yard looking for a shifter when I first got my wagon.  Lots of Datsuns in the yard, but not the shifter I was looking for.  I just happen to glance in the bed of a pickup (non-Datsun) and there was the shifter I was looking for.  All the bushings and the retainer were on it, too.  I was scratching my head, but happy to find it.  

• Like 3

Another really strange one.

I was blocking out a fender for my wagon out in front of my house when I spotted some Jehovas Witnesses canvassing my block.  They get within about two houses of my place, and one of the guys asks me if that is a Datsun 510 fender!!  I couldn't believe it.  I answered yes and told the guy he was really good.  He somehow recognized the fender, and it was laying flat on a portable bench/stand I use.

We ended up BS'ing about Datsuns for about 20 minutes.  Cool guy, and not once did he pitch me on their church.  (thankfully)

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

I found 3 Mac screwdrivers in a morning, (large med and small) on the side of the road. Must have rolled off a fat bed. Also found a multi screwdriver with bits in the handle, not a cheap one either and over the years three large screwdrivers in empty lots and one of those pry bars that sort of look like a screwdriver with a bent end. A large machinist's ball peen hammer about 25 years ago that I used yesterday and a large crescent wrench (painted orange) by the approach lights at the end of a military airfield runway. (probably fell off some aircraft taking off)

• Like 1