bed hydraulics

robert.davis

hi i want to to a 3 stage tilt bed on my 720 but i was very unfamiliar with hydros. ive been watching many videos and went to talk to the guys at hoppos and i feel very confident in my ability to do this project but im wonder if anyone else has done this themselves and knows what there doing lol. i plan on starting soon and im not really sure where to begin. if anyone has any tips, i would really appreciate it. 

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea what 3 stage tilt means, but are you basically wanting a small dump truck?

Here is my truck

I just grabbed these photos off another thread on another forum, it would be so much easier if you could find an existing hydraulic assembly, this 521 cab is on a 720 cab/chassis frame.

• Like 4

I think he's talking 'low rider' type hydraulics where they not only do a normal dump, but tilt side to side, so they can put on a 'show'.

OP, If you don't know anything about hydraulics, and don't have a good back ground in mechanical design, and fab skills, and don't have deep pockets for some low rider shop to do it for you,

I suggest to let that idea go...

• Like 2
7 hours ago, G-Duax said:

I think he's talking 'low rider' type hydraulics where they not only do a normal dump, but tilt side to side, so they can put on a 'show'.

OP, If you don't know anything about hydraulics, and don't have a good back ground in mechanical design, and fab skills, and don't have deep pockets for some low rider shop to do it for you,

I suggest to let that idea go...

i have a fairly decent understanding of how it all works its just a basic z rack id have to weld up and the hydros themselves just want to see if anyones got any smaller expert tips i could really use them this would be my first time doing a tilt bed im just not 100% sure on all the small details that could make a good set up into a perfect one lol 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, bottomwatcher said:

WTF? Waynos set up has purpose! Trucks are how most of us work/get shit done! Dancing beds? Your truck, go nuts have fun and yes I actually am interested in how this goes. I don't understand it but love mechanics. Good Luck.

well i have a work truck and i wanted a "pretty" truck lol. definitely still going to use it as a truck though none of that hydro stuff takes away from anything. if i need to tow stuff in the bed it'll get the job done. 

• Like 1

Dont limit your self I say get creative,  try to make it move a way you haven't seen.....

I would definitely make a cheap mockup that you can move by hand.... 

I like the unusual, this is old school mini trucking right here..... I thought it went away in the 90s...... 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

Dont limit your self I say get creative,  try to make it move a way you haven't seen.....

I would definitely make a cheap mockup that you can move by hand.... 

I like the unusual, this is old school mini trucking right here..... I thought it went away in the 90s...... 

well most of it did. hardly see any people mini trucking anymore but with that said i want something different and special. most the kids in my generation have no idea what mini trucking even is lol. i showed one kid and he called it a "transformer" lol. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
7 hours ago, Charlie69 said:

Mini truckin is hot again. 

Remember when SCCA had a road race class for mini trucks ?

1987 to 91.

The Archer brothers were really competitive, one went on to race a Viper in some class, but the name hardly pops up any longer.

A buddy of mine says the Lemons people are very lax on restrictions on trucks, just to draw some of them in.

I want to....No I can't....But it would be fun.....But I have too many projects now - DAMIT !!

Edited by G-Duax
  • Like 2
  • 1 year later...
On 4/25/2019 at 5:27 AM, G-Duax said:

Remember when SCCA had a road race class for mini trucks ?

1987 to 91.

The Archer brothers were really competitive, one went on to race a Viper in some class, but the name hardly pops up any longer.

A buddy of mine says the Lemons people are very lax on restrictions on trucks, just to draw some of them in.

I want to....No I can't....But it would be fun.....But I have too many projects now - DAMIT !!

I have met Tommy and Bobby Archer. I was born in the same town they have their shop. And yes, I love those old Jeep pickup racers. I wonder if anyone knows where they are now. I'd love to have one.

As for the mini truck bed thing, I never did like the hydraulic beds, but the artistry and craftsmanship that goes into a well executed low rider mini is phenomenal.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...