The Japanese Trans Am...

So I am a bit older than most of you, I think (not as old as Mike, though), as I graduated high school in 1991. Now the 3 coolest cars in my high school parking lot were (in no particular order) the mid-80s Trans Am or IROC-Z Camaro, the AE86 Toyota Corolla GT-S (so much stickers!!), and the Mitsubishi Starion/Chrysler Conquest. I fell in love with all three of these and always wanted to own all three some day.

It took me until 15 years after high school, but I did get an AE86. It was a load of fun and I do miss it still.

I have often low key looked for a decent IROC-Z but that search has thus far proved fruitless. 

And we come to the last of the trio. Which I acquired today.  😁

large.IMG_20181204_165013_005small.jpg.7

Paint is pretty beat but it runs great. Engine was recently rebuilt, as was the turbo. It pulls surprisingly strong, especially on the freeway...

Now just waiting on the UPS man to bring me about 20 boxes, then the real fun begins...  😁

• Like 9
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And to explain the thread title, one of my best friends from high school with similar car tastes had a red '87 Chrysler Conquest. He loved it, and it was a riot to drive, but it was in the shop all the time. Mostly because he beat it like it owed him money. Once asked why he liked it so much, he said "it's basically a Japanese Trans Am"...  😄

Oh, and future plans are a bit out there. While I like this engine, the car really needs a V8. 😎

Anyone want to make a strong case for either a 1UZ-FE or a 5.2 LS?  

• Like 2

I vote VH45DE or VK45 or 56DE... This is a Nissan/Datsun site after all. 😁 BTW I also am old (class of 86) and love Datsuns, AE86s and Starions. Have Datsuns and Toyotas, but no Mitsubishi yet. Although my brother had a Sapporo. I loved that car.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

So I am a bit older than most of you, I think (not as old as Mike, though), as I graduated high school in 1991.

I have quite a few years on you, as you know 🙂

That Mitsu looks very 80's cool.  I imagine it bets better mileage than an L Series 510, AND hauls ass too!

• Like 1

The  new Roadrunner was a hot ticket. (this was before the Challenger and 'Cuda) The new Maco Shark Corvette but out of anyone's price range in high school. The '67 Steve McQueen 'Stang, although Bullet wasn't out yet. Ford Comet. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, datsuntech said:

I vote VH45DE or VK45 or 56DE... This is a Nissan/Datsun site after all.

It was considered, but the Nissan V8 is about 3-4" wider than the Toyota. Also better aftermarket support for the Lexus engine, so...

Weights are similar for both, but strangely both the Lexus and Infiniti V8s weigh less than the stock Starion engine...  

Edited by datsunfreak
  • Like 1

Here's a nice comparison of the two. Nissan wins on power and a higher redline, but Toyota wins on size. 

http://www.lextreme.com/q45.html

Toyota is shorter in height by 50mm (about 2"), shorter in width by 100mm (roughly 4"), but longer by 70mm (almost 3").

The extra length likely just comes down to timing belt (Toyota) versus timing chain (Nissan). 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, datzenmike said:

The  new Roadrunner was a hot ticket. (this was before the Challenger and 'Cuda) The new Maco Shark Corvette but out of anyone's price range in high school. The '67 Steve McQueen 'Stang, although Bullet wasn't out yet. Ford Comet. 

Ford Comet ? i think the Ford was a Maverick and the Comet was Mercury.At least in the U.S. anyway.

Hells yeah!  I've loved these for years and have nearly pulled the trigger on one like 6 times.  Never quite did it though.  There's a rolling chassis near me right now for $500 that's always tempting but i have to much broken garbage as it is.

Super excited to see where this goes.

11 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

I've been mulling this over for a while trying to decide what I should put a VH45DE in. I have an AE86, now that is begging for a 1UZ-FE.

On 3/21/2019 at 8:41 PM, datsunfreak said:

So I am a bit older than most of you, I think (not as old as Mike, though), as I graduated high school in 1991.

On 3/22/2019 at 8:04 AM, Duncan said:

I have quite a few years on you, as you know 🙂

Haha, didn't catch that the first time through. Class of 92 here, was supposed to graduate in 91, but was having too much fun doing other things lol. 

• Haha 1
17 hours ago, Lockleaf said:

loved these for years and have nearly pulled the trigger on one like 6 times.  Never quite did it though.  There's a rolling chassis near me right now for $500 that's always tempting but i have to much broken garbage as it is

Same here. They were all either decent drivers that were out of my budget, or cheap rollers. This was the first time I ever came across a driver that was in my budget (probably due to the poor paint condition), so I snapped it up quick. 

And after the 1200, I am done with buying non-running cars for myself.  😄

12 hours ago, datsuntech said:

I've been mulling this over for a while trying to decide what I should put a VH45DE in. I have an AE86, now that is begging for a 1UZ-FE.

VH45DE could really benefit a car with a wider/bigger engine bay. To me, a 280Z seems like a natural fit for that? 

I am going to take some measurements of the car next weekend to see just how difficult the VH swap would be in this...

• Like 3
1 hour ago, datsunfreak said:

Also broke my personal record for spending more money on parts than I paid for the car itself in the shortest amount of time. Did it in less than 4 hours this time...  😃

I did that once when I bought windshield wipers to get it home.  

• Haha 5

I loved these cars. (class of '87)

Turbo 4 is why I'm driving a new Eco Mustang now. I want/need something I can tinker with, but still drive daily. I'm kind of done with non-running cars for a while.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Josh K. said:

I seem to remember those cars had some EFI gremlins.

They did, but only up until mid-87. This car was built after they fixed the problem. To add insult to injury, on the early effected cars, you can no longer buy new injectors (they like to leak). But if you can find a later TBI and ECU in the salvage yard, I'm told it's a relatively easy fix. 

You might not know it to look at it, but I did my research before I bought this specific car. While I did really want an '88-89 SHP model, being a late production '87 this car has almost all the updates that the 88-89 had, except it didn't get the cooler seats and better air dam. It has all the mechanical updates, but none of the cosmetic updates. 

And since I'm changing the seats... And my air dam is busted...  

Edited by datsunfreak
15 hours ago, Josh K. said:

I vote for SR20DET 🤣😂

And while this is definitely on my radar, they are just getting too damn expensive. It's now crowding $2.5-3k to buy a decent one. A 1UZ would cost less than that all in. 

Hell, a 5.2L LS and a T56 6-speed would cost less than that...

• Like 2

Still got you by a year. '90

For a small school I graduated from, those three cars were in the parking lots.

Favorite was the conquest. It was in the Fuji poly blue paint. Loved that color.

Good luck in the ne adventure. 

• Like 1