Just bought a 521

mainer311

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Been re-teaching myself how to TIG. It’s been almost 13 years since I last touched a torch. I took the money I saved from having a stainless exhaust put on and bought a small welder. It’s been a lot of fun.

PW0WuLz.jpg

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 5
10 hours ago, d.p said:

What welder did you buy? I always thought about learning to weld. 

A “cheap” one from Harbor Freight. Most of their higher end welders actually get decent reviews. It’s a Vulcan ProTig 165. For about $100 extra, you can get yourself setup really well with a glass cup and super flexible hose.

• Like 1

Some progress. Cars and coffee is tomorrow so it looks like the roadster will make an appearance because there’s no way I’m finishing this today.

c5agYNl.jpg

Reshaping the stock clamp for the 2” tubing.

psTBiSV.jpg

This is the mid pipe. It will have quick collars on both ends. The downpipe will be it’s own removable piece to snake it around the torsion bar. 

27wPhRl.jpg

• Like 4

Man it’s tight in here. I notched out the inspection plate/transmission flange a little bit to make room for the flange clamp. It just barely fits.

I1pLm6y.jpg

Downpipe is mocked up.

0YA5YOB.jpg

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 5

Yeah you would be amazed at what vibration can do to an exhaust.  With my M3 BMW had a titanium m-performance exhaust that cracked on the welds on sides where it met the can.  That was with rubber hangers and BMW level of design and production.

• Like 1

QPly52v.jpg

If it were hanging straight down, it would be fine.  Supported from the side like that exerts a lot of leverage on just a single  bolt head. On bumps the pipe and muffler can easily double their weight. This will work.... till it fails. I predict you will change this long before that.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...