Just bought a 521

mainer311

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If that clutch cover looked like mine did I would say it needed replaced, but his looks nothing like mine in the photo below.

Mine is gouged out from years of wear/abuse, his looks like the paint has been scraped off, no bare metal at all, so what is wrong with that clutch cover?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, wayno said:

If that clutch cover looked like mine did I would say it needed replaced, but his looks nothing like mine in the photo below.

Mine is gouged out from years of wear/abuse, his looks like the paint has been scraped off, no bare metal at all, so what is wrong with that clutch cover?

Wayno, that’s a picture of my new one. Big tanks is just pulling my chain.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Truck is almost done. Got the trans back in. That was fun. New slave cylinder in and bled. Got the starter back on. Oil pan is on. I pulled the old oil filter off and poured a bunch of 40 weight into the new filter, then spun it back on real quick. Hope that gets some oil back into the galleys. Filled it with 50/50 coolant and will fill with oil tomorrow after the oil pan cures. I feel like everything is new now. 

I eyeballed the centerlink. Will need to test drive to find out if the toe is correct.

133lJKU.jpg

• Like 4
9 hours ago, d.p said:

Post the same photos you post on Instagram here mang. 

What’s your tag on Insta?

This one?

2JuQymy.jpg

Yes, the truck is back in action. Let it idle for a while and checked for leaks. I primed the new oil pump by back filling it with the oil filter, and cranked the engine with the coil plug off. For some reason my oil light isn’t working, but definitely saw oil coming out of the cam.  Then for shits, I metered the sender. Sender seems fine. It’s grounded when the truck is off and open while it’s running, so it seems to be exceeding the pressure cutoff. I checked the cluster bulb with a couple others and none of them work.

I’m putting a true oil presssure gauge in anyway. I have this really slick adapter coming in the mail. It’s m/f 1/8-28 BSPT, with a f 1/8 NPT pickoff for an Autometer sender. That way I can continue using the light with the gauge.

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 3
19 minutes ago, sondat said:

Oil preasure gauge is a great idea and something we would like to get, especially with the first start up around the corner. Nice repairs Mainer and like the 2X4 option for setting toe as well Stoffregen.

If you need a bitchin BSPT adapter, I recently got one from eBay that allows the use of the stock idiot light, plus an electrical 1/8 NPT sender.

• Like 1

Hey mariner how is it setup on the block,

Like oriental up or down... 

I dont think my gauge is getting the proper signal.... my idiot light never comes on, but my gauge drops to 0 eventually at idle, instantly with a little throttle I'm at 55....I am running a spraynar too...  I was thinking about changed it around and wanted some ideas....

Oh I cut the block threds for npt.... 

Edited by Crashtd420
  • Like 1

So, it’s essentially a large piece of hex stock with a male BSPT on one end, and a female BSPT on the other end, so think of it like a long spacer for the stock idiot sender. Then, about half way down the hex, it’s drilled and tapped for 1/8 NPT. To get a decent angle on the sender, I put a 45 degree NPT fitting on the hex, and then spun the gauge sender into that. I’ll take a picture later this morning. Today is the first cars and coffee of the year.

Neil, it really shouldn’t matter how you have the sender situated. Even if there is trapped air somewhere in there, the air pressure will build to the same pressure as the oil, and the air will operate the sender. 

One thing to keep in mind is that the sender needs direct contact with engine block ground. If sealant or Teflon tape is used, ohm out the sender to ground and make sure the value is correct.

7 hours ago, mainer311 said:

So, it’s essentially a large piece of hex stock with a male BSPT on one end, and a female BSPT on the other end, so think of it like a long spacer for the stock idiot sender. Then, about half way down the hex, it’s drilled and tapped for 1/8 NPT. To get a decent angle on the sender, I put a 45 degree NPT fitting on the hex, and then spun the gauge sender into that. I’ll take a picture later this morning. Today is the first cars and coffee of the year.

Neil, it really shouldn’t matter how you have the sender situated. Even if there is trapped air somewhere in there, the air pressure will build to the same pressure as the oil, and the air will operate the sender. 

One thing to keep in mind is that the sender needs direct contact with engine block ground. If sealant or Teflon tape is used, ohm out the sender to ground and make sure the value is correct.

Where is the cars and coffee?

Maybe I could make it there one sunday....

The sender I am using has it's own ground.... I had it set up a little differently before, but I broke the electrical connection.... it was good before..... might just be a cheap setup I bought.. . I have been wanting to upgrade it.... just haven't bothered yet.

As long as my idiot light doesnt come on I dont worry to much.....

• Like 1
21 hours ago, mainer311 said:

If you need a bitchin BSPT adapter, I recently got one from eBay that allows the use of the stock idiot light, plus an electrical 1/8 NPT sender.

You making gauge holders for them? 

Edited by d.p
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

Where is the cars and coffee?

Maybe I could make it there one sunday....

Salem, NH. The first one is usually huge (and it was) and then it tapers off as the year goes on. Good mix of old muscle and tuners today. Some rare stuff, including two TVR’s, an FJ40, a cool old Sami, and a Golf Country were there today.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

No, just used the $20 Autometer one. It’s all die cut and bent out of aluminum sheet metal.

Big difference between mechanical

vs electrical oil pressure gauge??  And

can you post a pic of what your sender looks like now?

Edited by d.p
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, mainer311 said:

Salem, NH. The first one is usually huge (and it was) and then it tapers off as the year goes on. Good mix of old muscle and tuners today. Some rare stuff, including two TVR’s, an FJ40, a cool old Sami, and a Golf Country were there today.

It's funny you say tvr.... guy I work with drives one .... 

Well the next one is on mothers day.... so I wont be going that day....

Maybe the June one on fathers days....

• Like 1