mainer311

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 9/24/2019 at 12:46 PM, Crashtd420 said:

I know you said it before you dont like driving your 521 on the highway.... 

Me neither.   Mainer why don't you like driving yours on the highway?  I don't because its so loud and to keep up with traffic i have to run it around 3800-4k RPMs.  

1 hour ago, d.p said:

Me neither.   Mainer why don't you like driving yours on the highway?  I don't because its so loud and to keep up with traffic i have to run it around 3800-4k RPMs.  

Yeah, what you and Neil said. I don’t mind the noise, but I feel like the old engine couldn’t take the high RPM’s for long.

11 hours ago, datzenmike said:

I like tertiary roads when road tripping. Getting there is better than arriving.

So do I but sometimes I just want to get somewhere quicker.  And is there really anything wrong with driving consistently at 4K rpms? I mean other than more stress on the drivetrain??

• Like 1

Agreed!!! Sometimes I let the dogs out!

If your engine is in good condition and tune as well as full of water and oil, transmission and differential also filled with oil... you'll never blow one up. Red line for an L20B is 7k..... L16/18 even higher!  Pfft 4K is nothing.

Think of your L20B as being Jessica Jones saying to Luke Cage.... " you don't have to be so gentle.... I won't break"

• Thanks 1
56 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Agreed!!! Sometimes I let the dogs out!

If your engine is in good condition and tune as well as full of water and oil, transmission and differential also filled with oil... you'll never blow one up. Red line for an L20B is 7k..... L16/18 even higher!  Pfft 4K is nothing.

Think of your L20B as being Jessica Jones saying to Luke Cage.... " you don't have to be so gentle.... I won't break"

What is L16 redline?  I have my tachometer set to 5500 and rarely go above that. 

8,300 RPM. Rarely achieved on a stock engine or needed. This is for a perfect condition engine not something 40 years old. But 8,275 is the safe maximum operating RPM above which metal parts start to stretch or shear from the g forces. It would be wise to stay somewhat below this. It's a theoretical limit. It can be exceeded with special rods and bolts etc.

No doubt about it the L16/18s like to rev to make any power. On an L20B I noticed that with the Hitachi 2bbl downdraft power really falls off after 4K and it's a long wait to 5K. I have motorcycle carbs on it now and that's all changed. It pulls from 3K on up.

5,500 is probably the power limit going up through the gears and you might find the torque is stronger if you up shift to a higher gear. If climbing a long hill where it would slow down in a higher gear you can hold steady at 5,500 all day. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Curious what everyone is running for batteries? Mine was DOA this morning. Between the previous owner and myself, it made it almost 8 years. I want to "upgrade" to something smaller and lightweight possibly. Is anyone running a group size 26?

Ive got an odyssey PC-680 in the 510 behind the passenger seat and it has no problem cranking and starting the KA. 

Will be running the same thing in the 620. Previous owner mounted one behind the the bench seat up against the back wall of the cab.