A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For some reason I get wierd ideas in my head... go figure....

So the truck is getting a second stack obviously,  one thing that always bothered me was it being hot.... now with a second pipe I have twice the issue... also one stack is currently a 3 1/2 diameter glass pack muffler while the new one will be just a 2" pipe.... in comes the idea for a heat shield.....

So I bought some metal, now i need to build a metal brake to take care of the next step .....

20211209_161229.jpg

Edited by Crashtd420

I built a metal brake out of a 30 ton hydraulic press, plus a 5 inch wide piece of 1/2" steel which I milled a 45 degree tip on, then welded up some 3/8" flat stock for the lower portion. If you want to save time, these guys have kits that are reasonably priced - https://www.swagoffroad.com/SWAG-Press-Brake-Kits_c_53.html

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I built a metal brake out of a 30 ton hydraulic press, plus a 5 inch wide piece of 1/2" steel which I milled a 45 degree tip on, then welded up some 3/8" flat stock for the lower portion. If you want to save time, these guys have kits that are reasonably priced - https://www.swagoffroad.com/SWAG-Press-Brake-Kits_c_53.html

That's a bit more than what I have in mind.... the place I got the metal from has those type of brakes... the problem is I want to make those large sheets into a pentagolal cylinder.... oh well i just gave away what I'm doing....  

I guess what I want is more of a hinge style bender... 

I think I can make it for around $60, which is technically less than what they want to do 2 bends on each of the 16 pieces, and 4 bends on each of the large plates.... plus I like building stuff and doing it myself, more satisfying....

I guess we will see if what's in my head makes it out or if I'm about to waste a bunch of time and money...

• Like 1
10 hours ago, demo243 said:

I guess I know where I’m going when I make my next dash!

I just used a couple 2x4s…. Gave some nice rounded corners… but definitely wasn’t precise!

Anytime..... I was shooting for a 42" opening but ended up just over the 40" I needed....

I'm almost ready to try a few test bends before the big piece of metal goes in.... no room for error with that.

I'm actually planning to use some cardboard to practice making the stack heat shield,  I also think i need to experiment for the slash cut I want at the top . Since it's going to be a Pentagon shape I'm thinking cutting the angles before might be the way to go.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

A bend that long will flex the dies of the bender, so expect to see a slight bow in the middle of the sheet. Especially if it is heavy gauge (more than 16ga).

You could always weld in multiple handle locations to be able to fine tune the bend.

Ya i am a little concerned, just because I really dont know what to expect till the first bend, I think the angle iron is thick enough for what I have planned , I'm kind of hoping for the best at this point....

The large sheet is 16 gauge....

What do you think about warming up the metal where I intend to bend it just before I bend it?

No, the amount of heat you need to affect the bending is about 900 degrees.

Even my 1/2 inch thick press brake flexes, so don't be overconfident in the angle iron. But also, don't worry about it too much either. Whatever happens, you'll either be able to fix or to live with.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

No, the amount of heat you need to affect the bending is about 900 degrees.

Even my 1/2 inch thick press brake flexes, so don't be overconfident in the angle iron. But also, don't worry about it too much either. Whatever happens, you'll either be able to fix or to live with.

I guess we will see what happens....

• Like 1

I figured I should finish the exhaust before I get too a head of myself....

I just need the new intake exhaust gasket and everything should be good...

I welded and coated the exhaust with some heat paint.... I hung everything this afternoon and worked on the second stack....

The good thing while I got them as close to the same location even if they are a little off the heat shield will hide any error.... 

20211218_170128.jpg

• Like 1