Crashtd420

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 11/8/2021 at 6:15 AM, Crashtd420 said:

Well I violated my own rule of driving the datsun in below 40 degree weather.... it was 32 out this morning when I got the truck out of the garage... the weather seems to have go right from hot to cold as hell....  problem is the afternoon's are nice so I get mad at myself when I leave the datsun home....

One problem I had to fix was my high idle solenoid I use for my ac.. i somehow managed to loose the locking ring to hold it in place and the wiring got a little crispy from the fire a few weeks ago... I like to use it in the morning's instead of the choke,  it holds a nice 1100 rpm to get the motor warmed up while I shut the garage and say goodbye to my family... 

Shit I'm on the opposite seasonal schedule here in southern NM. It's to damn hot to drive something without AC in the summer, so the winter is 521 season!!!

34 minutes ago, Oilspot said:

Shit I'm on the opposite seasonal schedule here in southern NM. It's to damn hot to drive something without AC in the summer, so the winter is 521 season!!!

I had that issue in the summer.... 

It doesnt help I painted my truck black either....

I installed ac about 2 years ago just to increase how often I can drive the truck.... 

Snow is on the way soon so the datsun might be going up on jack stands for a couple months till winter is over but I'll still try to drive it till first snow, once they salt it wont be coming out.  

Time for some little projects, nothing big planned this winter.... 

20 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

I had that issue in the summer.... 

It doesnt help I painted my truck black either....

I installed ac about 2 years ago just to increase how often I can drive the truck.... 

Snow is on the way soon so the datsun might be going up on jack stands for a couple months till winter is over but I'll still try to drive it till first snow, once they salt it wont be coming out.  

Time for some little projects, nothing big planned this winter.... 

is your ac system in your build thread? I'd bet with the little 2 sq/ft cab on these things that it gets good and cold! I may have to look into this!!!!!!

14 minutes ago, Oilspot said:

is your ac system in your build thread? I'd bet with the little 2 sq/ft cab on these things that it gets good and cold! I may have to look into this!!!!!!

Ya its somewhere back there....

It wasn't to bad but nothing was bolt on.... brackets to mount everthing had to be made....

I did make tracings of the compressor bracket which is the hardest one.... 

I put the ac unit where the dash tray is under the glove box....

Right now I still dont have door panels so I loose some of the cold.... it was worse without door seals.... so make sure that's all good...

Oilspot one thing I forgot to say about the ac system.. while those hose and fitting kits work out pretty good I dont really recommend it...

I had a hell of a time finding someone to crimp them because they weren't their fittings....

Try to find a local hose shop....

They have the hoses and fittings and crimping tools....

You can pick up your parts, setup the indexing of the fitting on the hoses and then bring them back to be crimped.....

• 2 weeks later...

Well I think I have to give in to the fact its winter here in Massachusetts... The mornings are in the 20s and afternoons barely in the 40s lately .... 

I ended up sweeping and cleaning up the garage, plus i got the truck up on jack stands... 

I organized my parts so I have an idea about what I'm planning to do for winter projects and what maintenance needs to be performed, I'm going after the exhaust leaks first... 

I hear you. We picked up the Xmas tree on Saturday, and that usually marks the end. Time to pull the bench and take it to the upholstery place. Then I'm pulling the upper control arms and making shims to the correct thickness to get my alignment all in check.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, mainer311 said:

I hear you. We picked up the Xmas tree on Saturday, and that usually marks the end. Time to pull the bench and take it to the upholstery place. Then I'm pulling the upper control arms and making shims to the correct thickness to get my alignment all in check.

I got my tree Saturday too....

I wish upholstery was in the budget this year.... I still need door cards first....

Right now I'm saving back up so I can get the bed fixed up by the spring.... 

• Like 1

As far as the exhaust I had atleast 3 leaks at the muffler alone.... 

So instead of clamps I welded everything up... 

I also prepared the inlet for a vband clamp.... so I can attach the exhaust cutout .... I have just enough room to fit the cutout where I was hoping..... 

Now the straight section before the cutout will need to be extended but I'm gonna restart at the front after this and get everthing in place before I fit the final piece....

20211129_173910.jpg

20211129_173923.jpg

A cheater way to get pretty circle welds is to do a bunch of spot welds in a row. The effect looks nearly the same as the "stacked dimes" of a professional weld. This method is great for thin wall tubing, like on an exhaust, but I would never use it on structural welds, like a roll cage.

We cut two trees on Sunday. One was so big that it hung ten feet out of the truck. I felt like Clark Griswold. The tree's not going in our yard Russ! It's going in our living room.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

A cheater way to get pretty circle welds is to do a bunch of spot welds in a row. The effect looks nearly the same as the "stacked dimes" of a professional weld. This method is great for thin wall tubing, like on an exhaust, but I would never use it on structural welds, like a roll cage.

We cut two trees on Sunday. One was so big that it hung ten feet out of the truck. I felt like Clark Griswold. The tree's not going in our yard Russ! It's going in our living room.

We have been cutting our tree for the last few years... new family tradition for us, the kid loves it..

On the muffler I was definitely rushing a bit, it was a bit of a mess. Too many seams for reducers,  I think I eliminated 4 clamps from that muffler,  each seam was leaking from somewhere.. I know its sealed up now which is what mostly matters.... 

Nothing a flap disk wont fix...

Also Having the right setting helps too....

I usually do a bunch of spot welds then try to connect the dots, I'll try better with the flanges....

• Like 1

I was able to weld a flange on the muffler and 1 on both ends of the cutout.... 

So far placement worked out good and I'll have enough room to run the 2" pipe between the bed floor and frame work.... I will be measuring and placing the cutout stack on the driver side in a mirrored location to the passenger side. I'll probably wrap the pipe or do a small heat shield near the gas tank, or possibly both.... 

Shouldn't really be an issue ...

Next up is removing the header so I can weld the reducer end on and add a flange, then I'll work my way back adding a vband after my o2 sensor.. any deviation in length of piping will be corrected in the end.. I have to extend the last piece of pipe anyhow to connect to the cutout.... 

20211201_172825.jpg

Edited by Crashtd420

Before I got called back in the house I was able to get the last tack weld done under the truck, so all the pipes are connected front to back with the v bands tight .... A few things had to be adjusted but I'm happy with what I ended up with....

Tomorrow I'll pull everything out to weld it up and take a few pictures...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mainer311 said:

Glad I’m not the only one. That’s usually why I’m out in the garage after the wife falls asleep on the couch. 😂

This time it was the kid... its usually him more than the wife asking me to come back inside to do something.. 

I have to take the time when I can but I always tell them to just get me when they need me....

• Like 1