Crashtd420

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, d.p said:

I have come to believe that being paranoid is part of owning a Datsun.  It really spices up any long drive when you're wondering what is going to break.  

I'm generally pretty confident in my truck.... but shit does happen when you least expect it... 

• Like 2

Nothing much to update, trucks been fine since last weekend....

Nothing else popped up due to the fire.....

I did get some more parts for winter projects... the last couple years I have done large upgrades,  due to budget cuts, basically spending all my spare money on a dog, this year will be about taking care of small annoying problems....

One of those has been exhaust leaks. I purchased a 4 pack of vband clamps and flanges....

20211016_134436.jpg

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

Those v-band clamps have worked really well for me so far, and are fun to weld on. 

I tried to get away from the old clamp that just crushed the tubes together so I tried the style that clamps each tube vs overlaping thwm and they leak at the edge seam just slightly and its annoying... 

20211016_134445.jpg

20211016_134502.jpg

My little friend has been getting bigger.... he goes to doggy daycare now while we work.. it's great for socializing and he is tired beyond belief when he gets home....

He likes to nap with the bigger dogs and apparently he nibbles on his friend petey's ear to fall asleep....

Petey is the puppy protector there so he doesnt mind... and luckily at this place the owner hand selects what dogs are allowed and there are absolutely no aggressive dogs what so ever...

46900.jpeg

Screenshot_20211019-132939_DuckDuckGo.jpg

54 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

Those v-band clamps have worked really well for me so far, and are fun to weld on. 

I don't like how most of the v-band clamps available now days have a register machined into them. It used to be that you slipped them over the tube and had the tube protrude into the other clamp, which had a recessed tube. Now the rings butt up to the end of the tube. I like the old way better.

22 hours ago, mainer311 said:

There’s a protrusion on one side and a recess on the other that fit into each other. Apparently the theory is that heat expansion seals them off once the exhaust gets hot.

Right, but I like to do that with tubing. With the machined-straight-through clamp rings, I can extend the tubing half an inch or more into the opposing clamp ring.

On 10/21/2021 at 6:58 AM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I don't like how most of the v-band clamps available now days have a register machined into them. It used to be that you slipped them over the tube and had the tube protrude into the other clamp, which had a recessed tube. Now the rings butt up to the end of the tube. I like the old way better.

This is a Vee Band versus Marmon Clamp issue.

11 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

Well I couldnt help myself... i figured since i have to work on the exhaust any how why not add an electric exhaust cutout... i have always wanted to add a second stack for the open exhaust or some other interesting exit setup.... 

Screenshot_20211026-084505_eBay.jpg

vJUCAUsqUyetZ72wo5SOnF-Z6zOm_jMCWKGiJQ-X

• Like 1

Well life always keeps things interesting and proves not everyone up here is a masshole....

Last night i was driving up the rt190 highway with my son and wife,  in the rain, when out the corner of her eye why wife spots an over turned suv that just recently went off the highway and rolled into the center ditch..

I quickly made the decision to stop and run back to help since there was no one else stopping ... by the time I got there one other car stopped and followed me.... all the doors were pinned shut because of how the vehicle landed.... I was trying the rear tailgate which wouldn't open, but I was able to remove stuff through the rear broken window to atleast talk to the lady trapped inside.

Luckily for her she was ok, i believe she hit her head but not hard and she was a little hysterical (acceptable in that situation), but I'm sure she was sore later that night ... 

Couple more people finally showed up and we were able to get one door open enough for her to climb out....

At that point there were more people with her and police and fire were on their way. So i excused myself since my dumb ass didn't realize in the chaos I must have hit some glass with my hand trying to remove stuff from the rear hatch...

I guess I could have stayed and let them fix me up but it had already been 10 minutes or so and my family had no idea what was going on.. again not really thinking clear.  After all that I realized I had both work gloves and rubber glove in my truck specifically for a situation like this and forgot everything in the moment.... 

Could have prevented this, never even felt it.....

20211031_073548.jpg

• Like 2

Nice work Neil! I did something similar a few years back. Watched a big rig sideswipe a camper on I80 in Wyoming. The camper rolled and the big rig kept on going. Same as your situation, nobody stopped, so I did and pulled a family to safety with fuel spilling all over. I had to yell at people to help. They just stood around and watched. Definitely adrenaline pushing me through. Feels good, doesn't it?

image.png.bc587f0bbc52e32ade16d3b7db53c646.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The only down fall is I couldn't drive my datsun yesterday or today....

Hand swelled up and I cant grip the wheel with out being in pain....

Luckily I got some antibiotics last night which already seem to be helping..... I should be able to drive the datsun the rest of the week, I'm running out of datsun driving weather up here in Massachusetts,  the morning have been in the 30s and 40s lately.... I'll still drive it till the first snow.....

Now I'm thinking about putting together a rescue kit with a fire extinguisher for our vehicles just incase, something that would help my wife or myself from the inside if we ever end up in the same situation or something I can grab quick to help someone....

Edited by Crashtd420
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, mainer311 said:

I gave my wife a glass breaker keychain. Another useful tool is a pocket knife with a gut hook. You can use it to slice through seatbelts.

I also keep a Dillon Aero M134D with minimum 3000 rounds behind the seat. 

I think my wife actually has one of those glass breaker key chains with a seatbelts cutter.... I asked her if she actually knew what it was and how to use it ... She had absolutely no idea.... 

I'm actually going to talk to her about some "if shit goes bad" scenarios like if she ended up in a lake what would she do?

I'll probably include my son in that conversation....

2 hours ago, mainer311 said:

I also keep a Dillon Aero M134D with minimum 3000 rounds behind the seat. 

Are we talking this.....

Definitely not fitting behind the seat....

I'd love to pull the trigger on something like that.... I can only imagine the cost of bullet even after 10 seconds.....

Screenshot_20211102-115229_DuckDuckGo.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well I violated my own rule of driving the datsun in below 40 degree weather.... it was 32 out this morning when I got the truck out of the garage... the weather seems to have go right from hot to cold as hell....  problem is the afternoon's are nice so I get mad at myself when I leave the datsun home....

One problem I had to fix was my high idle solenoid I use for my ac.. i somehow managed to loose the locking ring to hold it in place and the wiring got a little crispy from the fire a few weeks ago... I like to use it in the morning's instead of the choke,  it holds a nice 1100 rpm to get the motor warmed up while I shut the garage and say goodbye to my family... 

• Like 1